U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM

74 posts, read 65,321 times

Advertisements

I am going through a period of intense mourning over the loss of a dear friend, even though I was 30 years older than he. This friend was everything to me and met all my needs. Now I don't have him anymore nor people who will do the things for me he did. Jesus is supposed to be our Best Friend, but how can Jesus do the things with me that my friend did--camping, boating, hiking?

It is very difficult for me to have a best friend that you can't do anything with or even see him. If Jesus is my best friend I surely wouldn't mind Him replacing my departed friend and be able to do the things with Him I did with that friend but in the flesh, not in the spirit.

What are your thoughts on this. This is a time I need my Best Friend, not in the spirit but in the flesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 7 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,035 posts, read 3,614,310 times
Jesus is your best friend in the sense that you can (and should) turn to him in your time of grief. And you will grieve for awhile. He will provide spiritual comfort in the form of this forum and the Christian's who post here, we will provide you with scriptures, verses, our own experiences with our losses and grief, and support you in this difficult time. Eventually, your grief will become bearable and you will be able to physically see and understand the next chapter in your life. You will most likely make friends through this board, and be gifted with ways to meet new friends in your every day life through various ways, your work, your hobbies, your interests, etc. I am going through a tribulation of my own right now where I too am alone, no friends or family to help me with my emotional needs. This board and the Mental Health Board have given me many hours of giving and receiving advice about my own problem and the other posters problems. We are your friends, stay with us during this difficult time. All Christians on this board will pray for you.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Thank all of you so much

Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,869,590 times
Death is a great tragedy. Jesus is your best friend.

"God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." John 4:24

Being born-again into the spirit of Jesus will transform your life into a new being. Jesus saves souls and changes lives. The scriptures testify of him (John 5:39KJV). He calls out to you.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me (John 10:27)

Seek Christian fellowship at a Bible-believing Church.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM

7,859 posts, read 6,666,416 times
When ever I hear a story like that , reminds me of the story of Samuel Clemens who lived to about seventy five years old before he passed on , but he came to reject the Lord Jesus were he went to Church for years, because he out lived all his family but one daughter , which was as he out lived four brothers two sisters, his wife and a son and two daughters all passed , were he blamed God for taking them away and said ` Me and God came to not speaking any more ``...... see blaming God was an error and a false doctrine .......... Jesus said in Matthew 5: 4.. ``Blessed are they that mourn, for they will be comforted``.... ... See here is Jesus give people who mourn comfort in their lives ...... Every body should find something to mourn about to claim this promise for their lives ..... Go to the Lord Jesus and he can be that sounding board where people do not want to listen .... Jesus will help if you can add some faith into His Word for a blessing into you life ..... be blessed in Christ

Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,582,717 times
Hi Editorialist.... I'm so sorry to hear about this time of mourning for you. I have lost many in my life and am well acquainted with grief. Can I ask you... what do you miss the most about your friend, do you care to share? Sometimes it helps to get things out, to work through your grief by talking to others about it. I understand your question, and I'm not ignoring it. But some things are hard to answer unless you know someone a little better, and can understand their perspective. If you want to DM me, feel free. I'm here for ya.

sparrow

Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM

The times we went boating, camping, hiking, taking the dogs to the park, arguing politics, horseplaying, helping him get into computer programing, going to the store with him, picking him up from work, waiting for him to come pick me up to take me to his house in the big snow storms, looking foward to his coming up and fixing the computer or helping install things. I never knew I depended on him for so much.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,749,210 times
Well the obvious question is are you gay Editorialist? We can work from that but right now I'm getting a sense of something more going on but if I'm wrong then bad on me. I am really sorry for your loss.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,582,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
The times we went boating, camping, hiking, taking the dogs to the park, arguing politics, horseplaying, helping him get into computer programing, going to the store with him, picking him up from work, waiting for him to come pick me up to take me to his house in the big snow storms, looking foward to his coming up and fixing the computer or helping install things. I never knew I depended on him for so much.
Hey, would you mind if I sent you a direct message? Sometimes this kind of stuff can get hard to discuss if not talking one-on-one. I've had different experiences with grief. And there are some things that have helped me. If you're not comfortable with that, that's cool. I totally understand, just let me know.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Sparrow:

Just pray for me. I feel the discussion is going to get too personal and off topic as already one member is thinking I might be gay which I really didn't take comfort in when friends who have the same interests enjoy doing together and has nothing to do with whether you are gay or straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity