U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 PM

1,193 posts, read 730,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The resurrection occurs when one goes WITHIN and puts on The Mind Of Christ by raising their consciousness to that of the Christ...one goes from being dead to their egoic/carnal self and rises into their true self...the self that gives us the conscious awareness and full realization that we ARE ALL ONE, one with each other and one with God.

To take the profound symbolism of resurrection portrayed in the bible and turning it into a concept of dead flesh being raised out of the ground to walk the earth again...is a ridiculous notion, at best and doesn't help anyone evolve consciously into their highest potential.
...ahem..."Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
(It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:
And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.
And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee.
As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him.
Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him.
The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there.
Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.
And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
Jesus wept.
Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!
And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?
Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.
Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him." (John) 11:1-45 KJV...

"After these things Jesus shewed himself again to the disciples at the sea of Tiberias; and on this wise shewed he himself.
There were together Simon Peter, and Thomas called Didymus, and Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, and the sons of Zebedee, and two other of his disciples.
Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus.
Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.
And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.
And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes.
As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread.
Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.
Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.
Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord.
Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise.
This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead." (John) 21:1-14 KJV.

Profound? Absolutely!
Symbolism? No! It literally happened!!!
All the conscious evolution to achieve your highest potential is a work in "progress" by you, not Christ. Your unbelief in Christ's literal resurrection from the dead "symbolizes" your view that you can ascend to the Father without His Christ.
On the lighter side, yours is a simple case of doubt...cast aside all of your worldly aspirations and answer the door because the risen Christ is knocking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 730,503 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It amazes me how many put all their apples in this bible basket knowing that in a court of law one would immediately discount the whole thing due to the obvious hearsay. A guy (not even positive who) writes a letter or book 30 or so years after the fact "quoting" jesus and people hang on every syllable. Not to mention the whole tranlastion issue and 2000 or so years of corruption!!!

Come on people! Use your God-given reasoning!

If you KNOW God... Why can't you hear him? Why use a book full of antiquated ideas as the end-all for your belief???

And the moral of the story is.... Love god and eachother for he that loves, knows god.
...it is sad how many regard the truth of our risen savior as heresy (hearsay), then profess to know G-d according to their love. Who are you loving that proves your love of G-d? His Christ, or another version of him?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,356,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
God showed through Adam that even a perfect figure like Adam may not be able to survive the eternity due to the lack of faith. And God's ultimate plan is to build an eternity called "His Kingdom in Heaven".
so God's goal wasn't for everyone to love eachother? His goal was and is to make a club where only those who dance like a chicken get in???

Quote:
God sets up Law to guard this eternity such that those unqualified will not be able to get in to mess things up there.
So this exclusive eternity is for perfect people? Guess you and I are not going there. None are righteous. Remember?
Quote:
Ever since the fall of Adam, planet earth on the other hand is Satan's realm instead of God's. Earth is for the unqualified to show themselves up. As humans keep walking away from God, almost all humans are deemed unqualified in front of God's Law. Earth is Satan's place with captive dead people.
so the game is.... Who wins the most souls? Obviously Satan... He has the whole earth. What other souls are there? So to clarify... You believe that satan wins?
Quote:
Out of love, God decided to give earthly humans a second chance, by delivering their faith (as required by eternity survival) in accordance to a New Covenant, humans will still stand a chance to be part of His Kingdom in Heaven.
out of love? How is excluding someone loving them? Giving them a second chance? When was the first chance?

Quote:
In terms of eternity, only those free being capable of repenting their sin commited and being able to believe in Jesus Christ will be considered educatable.

Jesus coming is to fulfill the Law. He made a sacrifice such that humans as the unqualified in front of God's Law can still be legally rescued. As for those will refused such an offer, they will be judged by God's Law on the Judgment Day. Shall they fail to pass the Law, they will be put to a permanent separation from God. In such a separation, God's influence will be completely removed. People are left on their own. If they continue to sin (and they will) to the bottom line of His Law, the fire awaits.
"and they will"

What you describe sounds like a scorned 5 year old.... Not a god. I pity you.

Did you even read the OP?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 AM

484 posts, read 332,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The Gospel of Jesus Christ contains good news for all mankind, some try to construe that it may be bad news for some because they have a belief concerning the fate of some who are no longer alive on earth.

What they do not realize is that the "Gospel" of Jesus Christ is the "Good News" of Jesus Christ. The "bad news" that people talk about is nothing more than a perspective of human emotions.

Might it seem like bad news if a person believes God will judge them? Certainly it may appear that way. Might it seem like bad news if someone believes that they might suffer loss based upon that judgment? Certainly it would appear that way.

Any parents reading this that on a human level do their very best to teach their children right from wrong, to instill value and worth, do you think that your children at some point found what you did to achieve that was always "GOOD NEWS".

Most all of us when learning lessons that made us greater than we was before believed that going through that period of time was bad news. Our perspective of a trial was not that we felt like it was good news. When we see the end result, we gain a perspective that we were stronger because of it.

Regaurdless of all the arguments that can be made about why things happen, why this or that exists, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the ultimate good news for all humanity, and in the end there is no bad news for anyone. That is why it is the Good NEWS of Jesus Christ, not the BitterSweet news of Jesus Christ or the Good Cop Bad Cop News of Jesus Christ.
The good news, or Gospel, of Jesus Christ can be found in a verse like John 3:16:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life".

It follows right after verses 14 and 15.....

14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
The news is certainly good news....eternal (aionion) life in Jesus Christ. It seems that in verse 16, the alternative to believing is to perish. This matter of perishing can entail the idea of being lost, or being destroyed (but that can be for another discussion).

But this seems to be the good news that the Bible has for us. Prophetically Isaiah tells us:

Isa 1:18
"...though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool".

It reminds me also of a passage like Hebrews 10:16-17

16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

This is because Christ took away our sins. He is, in fact, our sin-bearer. We read in 1 Peter 2:24:

23 who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness--by whose stripes you were healed.

Also in Hebrews 9:28:

"So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

In Him we have forgiveness of sins.

Eph 1:7

In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

The Bible tells us that we were "bought with a price"...that Christ "redeemed us to God by His blood".

So for God to have gone the length that He did to redeem a people for Himself is love beyond comparison.

This is good news, for it is only through Christ's atoning work on our behalf that we could be saved.

We read in Acts 13:38,39:

"38Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins; 39 and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Acts 4:12
12 "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

We can truly praise God for His provision of salvation through Christ and His atoning work on our behalf...and for the Gospel.

Rom 1:16
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Praise God.

Last edited by JAA2310; 09-22-2011 at 05:01 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,666,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Scripture is abundant with passages that say Jesus died to redeem us of our sins. Yes or no?
Yes.

Jesus said the kingdom is within, yes or no?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,101,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
...ahem..."Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
(It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:
And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.
And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee.
As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him.
Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him.
The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there.
Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.
And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
Jesus wept.
Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!
And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?
Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.
Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him." (John) 11:1-45 KJV...

"After these things Jesus shewed himself again to the disciples at the sea of Tiberias; and on this wise shewed he himself.
There were together Simon Peter, and Thomas called Didymus, and Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, and the sons of Zebedee, and two other of his disciples.
Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus.
Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.
And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.
And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes.
As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread.
Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.
Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.
Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord.
Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise.
This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead." (John) 21:1-14 KJV.

Profound? Absolutely!
Symbolism? No! It literally happened!!!
All the conscious evolution to achieve your highest potential is a work in "progress" by you, not Christ. Your unbelief in Christ's literal resurrection from the dead "symbolizes" your view that you can ascend to the Father without His Christ.
On the lighter side, yours is a simple case of doubt...cast aside all of your worldly aspirations and answer the door because the risen Christ is knocking...
Pure SPECULATION!!!! Saying things written in a man made 2,000+ year old book, a book filled with allegory, parables, symbolism, etc...and calling these events ones which "literally" happened...is beyond ridiculous. There are symbolic and spiritual meanings to the stories written in the NT...but those with eyes that cannot see...will never "see" them.

I'm curious to know exactly what you think PUTTING ON THE MIND OF CHRIST means??? How does one accomplish that???

Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,666,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Rom 1:16
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Praise God.

Indeed

Phl 2:11 And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 AM

58,238 posts, read 31,670,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Pure SPECULATION!!!! Saying things written in a man made 2,000+ year old book, a book filled with allegory, parables, symbolism, etc...and calling these events ones which "literally" happened...is beyond ridiculous. There are symbolic and spiritual meanings to the stories written in the NT...but those with eyes that cannot see...will never "see" them.

I'm curious to know exactly what you think PUTTING ON THE MIND OF CHRIST means??? How does one accomplish that???
Do you know what it means? Does it mean love and respect your neighbor, or does it mean you should call them "beyond ridiculous" for believing the word of God?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Status: "Trump 2020-Make liberals cry again." (set 1 day ago)

14,984 posts, read 8,155,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Yes.

Jesus said the kingdom is within, yes or no?
Yes. Jesus lives in the heart of all true believers.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Status: "Trump 2020-Make liberals cry again." (set 1 day ago)

14,984 posts, read 8,155,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It amazes me how many put all their apples in this bible basket knowing that in a court of law one would immediately discount the whole thing due to the obvious hearsay. A guy (not even positive who) writes a letter or book 30 or so years after the fact "quoting" jesus and people hang on every syllable. Not to mention the whole tranlastion issue and 2000 or so years of corruption!!!

Come on people! Use your God-given reasoning!

If you KNOW God... Why can't you hear him? Why use a book full of antiquated ideas as the end-all for your belief???

And the moral of the story is.... Love god and eachother for he that loves, knows god.
I can do that (bolded) & still believe the Bible is God's Word, in written form. Is God telling you something that disagrees with Holy Scripture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or