Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,720,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually we are talking about your words. I was not sure whose mouth you were trying to insert them into, mine of Jesus's.

Do you talk about hell pretty much all the time, or just most of the time?
Do tedium and pettiness entertain you, or are you just trying to provoke me? Whatever the case may be, its a bad form to say the least ...

If you are claiming that i am putting words in your mouth, then please feel free to explain ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 08-18-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,475,192 times
Quote:

You have picked "God is love" out of the Bible and you use it to sell other ideas which are NOT in the Bible. When you say "God is love and you don't need faith", it is easy to tell it is not the whole truth. The first part is true, and the last part is a lie. You mix in some truth to sell a false doctrine. It is an old trick.
Quote:
Don't try to insert your words into my mouth.
Did I? Seems you value faith more than love. It also seems wrong to listen to someone argue with another over love vs faith in light of the verse I cited.

If love is greater than faith and faith should come out of love, then logically love is instrumental in faith. Faith alone is useless. So again... If you agree that love is greater than faith...why do you promote faith above love and argue with those that say love is more important that easy-believism?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh BY love Galatians 5:6 Faith is useless if it's not working by love.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 PM

537 posts, read 454,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Did I? Seems you value faith more than love. It also seems wrong to listen to someone argue with another over love vs faith in light of the verse I cited.

If love is greater than faith and faith should come out of love, then logically love is instrumental in faith. Faith alone is useless. So again... If you agree that love is greater than faith...why do you promote faith above love and argue with those that say love is more important that easy-believism?
Now, I know the verse reads, "And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love".

I don't think Bible-believing people will argue about that. It's right there, plain and simple. But it is incorrect to downplay other important information in the Bible in the process.

The Bible places a great deal of importance on faith, even to the point of telling us that it's not of ourselves, but it is the gift of God. The Bible even speaks of our saving belief in Christ as "the faith" (cf. Titus 1:13). The term is even used to speak of our standing in Christ. Please note in 2 Cor. 13:5: " Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith...".

The point here is simply that we don't at all have to abandon any aspect of who and where we are in Christ. In context, "the greatest is love". God saves sinners such as ourselves through an amazing act of love. God is love.

But this does not mean we can't refer to the mercy and grace of God at the same time. These are critically important words in God's salvation program.

There's plenty to learn from the Bible. It seems we merely scratch the surface. But words cannot properly describe the benefits we receive from praying and studying the Bible. It teaches us doctrine, but also the practical aspect of living for the Lord....to His glory.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh BY love Galatians 5:6 Faith is useless if it's not working by love.
Amen pcamps

If I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
1 Cor 13:2

Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 AM

76,949 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Do tedium and pettiness entertain you, or are you just trying to provoke me? Whatever the case may be, its a bad form to say the least ...
Look who is talking.

Quote:
If you are claiming that i am putting words in your mouth, then please feel free to explain ...
Every time you make comments saying "you believe this and that", you are doing it. And yes, you do it a lot.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

It is not an argument about which is greater. I think you lost track of the conversation at some point.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Now, I know the verse reads, "And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love".

I don't think Bible-believing people will argue about that. It's right there, plain and simple. But it is incorrect to downplay other important information in the Bible in the process.

The Bible places a great deal of importance on faith, even to the point of telling us that it's not of ourselves, but it is the gift of God. The Bible even speaks of our saving belief in Christ as "the faith" (cf. Titus 1:13). The term is even used to speak of our standing in Christ. Please note in 2 Cor. 13:5: " Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith...".

The point here is simply that we don't at all have to abandon any aspect of who and where we are in Christ. In context, "the greatest is love". God saves sinners such as ourselves through an amazing act of love. God is love.

But this does not mean we can't refer to the mercy and grace of God at the same time. These are critically important words in God's salvation program.

There's plenty to learn from the Bible. It seems we merely scratch the surface. But words cannot properly describe the benefits we receive from praying and studying the Bible. It teaches us doctrine, but also the practical aspect of living for the Lord....to His glory.
The Bible is cystal clear that faith is needed for salvation. What comes firt, the chicken or the edd? Salvation comes through faith. Love comes through faith. As I explained earlier 1 Cor 13 verse "but the greatest of these is love" should not be taken out of the context. The chapter talks about the gifts and fruits of the spirit which will begin to disappear. It talks about which gift/fruit will REMAIN. Tongues, prophecies, even faith and hope will eventually be unnecessary in heaven. Faith and hope are needed in our lives here on earth. The only gift/fruit that will remain in the end (in heaven, in the presence of the Lord) will be love. You won't need faith there, but you need it now.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,186,318 times
Quote:
Is faith a matter of intelligence, where only the smart people qualify, and the stupid ones do not?
Are you really as obtuse as you're appearing...or are you just screwing with us????

Go back and read what I commented to...it had nothing to do with faith.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,186,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I do not agree with you ... I do not believe you are a bible believing Christian, though you probably really do believe that you are ... I believe your are a fundamentalist traditional Christianity believing Christian, who believes in certain badly translated and edited versions of "the bible". I don't mean that as an insult either, it is simply an observation.

I am a "bible believing" Christian, and my bible doesn't have the word hell in it even once, nor the idea of eternal torture ... And neither do the earliest manuscripts of the scriptures, in the old or new testament writings. Most "Christians" today have been utterly duped ... In truth they more closely resemble Zoroastrians than they do 1st and 2nd century Christians, in everything but their belief concerning the person of Christ himself.

And by the way the preaching of the gospel is not what saves people. True Christians do not preach the gospel in order to save people, but to proclaim the good news of the work of Christ on the cross which saves the whole world. Neither is it our job to persuade anyone of believing anything, that is the job of the spirit, and that only comes by the rebirth and quickening of the spirit in Gods own good time. It is the father himself that drags all people to Christ, not us ...

Just because you cant believe that God is the savior of all people, or that God will have all people to be saved and come to a full knowledge of the truth, and therefore are unable to command and teach these things, it doesn't mean that those scriptures are lying about the fact that he is and will do exactly that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You would think intelligent people in the 21st century would know these FACTS by now. Go figure...

See the BOLDED part above Finn....that is what my comment was directed towards...I thought I making that CRYSTAL CLEAR when I BOLDED IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity