Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 08:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Bible is crystal clear that faith is needed for salvation. What comes first, the chicken or the egg? Salvation comes through faith. Love comes through faith. As I explained earlier 1 Cor 13 verse "but the greatest of these is love" should not be taken out of the context. The chapter talks about the gifts and fruits of the spirit which will begin to disappear. It talks about which gift/fruit will REMAIN. Tongues, prophecies, even faith and hope will eventually be unnecessary in heaven. Faith and hope are needed in our lives here on earth. The only gift/fruit that will remain in the end (in heaven, in the presence of the Lord) will be love. You won't need faith there, but you need it now.
Amen Finn, amen. Good post

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-20-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 08:29 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
I'll second that AMEN... good post, Finn !!!

You go Yogi, you're smarter then the average bear....

Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
I'll second that AMEN... good post, Finn !!!
You go Yogi, you're smarter then the average bear....
Yes . . . the brilliance of the ancient ignorance just oozes out.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes . . . the brilliance of the ancient ignorance just oozes out.
Reading things in context is ancient ignorance

Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Reading things in context is ancient ignorance
Yes . . . when that context is the savage ignorant beliefs about God of our ancestors from over 4000 years ago.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yes . . . when that context is the savage ignorant beliefs about God of our ancestors from over 4000 years ago.
1 Corinthians 13 is not quite that old Maybe it is not as savage and ignorant as you think.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
1 Corinthians 13 is not quite that old Maybe it is not as savage and ignorant as you think.
Of course not . . . but the CONTEXT that you apply to it IS savage and ignorant in your unwillingness to acknowledge the preeminence of Love in the here and now . . . and concern yourself with faith in the ancient ignorant beliefs about a jealous, wrathful, vengeful God instead.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Of course not . . . but the CONTEXT that you apply to it IS savage and ignorant in your unwillingness to acknowledge the preeminence of Love in the here and now . . . and concern yourself with faith in the ancient ignorant beliefs about a jealous, wrathful, vengeful God instead.
I didn't say anything about wrath I explained what Paul said about love being the greatest of the gifts. Please pay more attention in the future. This is getting quite tiresome.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about wrath I explained what Paul said about love being the greatest of the gifts. Please pay more attention in the future. This is getting quite tiresome.
It is your refusal to believe that Love is the greatest of the gifts, PERIOD . . . not only in heaven. You will not GET THERE without Love . . . no matter how much faith you think you have in our ancient ancestors' beliefs about God.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:27 AM

697 posts, read 1,072,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I will give you a quote from a friend of mine, who when I asked why she read everything literally in the bible even though it's been proven there are many contradictions and inconsistencies throughout the book (which I showed her examples of): "It is the inerrant and inspired Word of God and there are no contradictions or inconsistencies found in it. If you don't believe that, then you reject God and his Word and will be punished for your disobedience."
I think the original OP and the attached article were really interesting. Thanks to Heartsong for posting it.

There have been a few posts (such as the one above) responding to one of the "4 good reasons not to read the Bible literally" - inerrancy. Here's what the article said:

1) Nowhere does the Bible claim to be inerrant.
That's right. At no place in its more than 30,000 verses does the Bible claim that it is factually accurate in terms of history, science, geography and all other matters (the technical definition of inerrancy). "Inerrant" itself is not a word found in the Bible or even known to Christian theologians for most of history. Rather, the word was coined in the middle of the 19th century as a defensive counter measure to the increased popularity of reading the Bible as one would other historical documents and the discovery of manifold internal inconsistencies and external inaccuracies.

Two things are interesting to me here.

First is the definition of inerrancy. I'm not sure everyone is understanding or intending the same definition when they use the word. ChristyGrl's friend coupled the word inspired with the word inerrant as if they were synonyms. I wonder what she really meant (or thought she meant) by that? I, on the other hand, would say the Bible is inspired but not inerrant. By that I mean what one of my pastors used to say: the Bible is not a history book, not a science textbook, not a book of morals and should not be used or relied upon for any of those things. It should not be relied as factual in any of those contexts. It is a book of faith and should be relied upon in the context of faith, salvation, and one's relationship with God.

Second is the idea of how you read the Bible. It appears that as long as you are not attempting to read the Bible as one would "other historical documents" there is no need for any concept of inerrancy. And indeed, the Bible is not like "other historical documents" so why would you read it that way? Getting caught up in the internal inconsistencies and the external inaccuracies and trying so hard to find plausible explanations or outright denying them seems so... well, silly! The Bible is a book of faith, not fact. Each author of each book was witnessing from their inspired beliefs and speaking from their own experience and knowledge. Read them, ponder them, make them part of your spiritual life and faith experience. But don't read them as something they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity