U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 PM

33,352 posts, read 10,848,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a perfect example of the inability to follow a train of thought to its logical conclusion and implications as discussed in the "Reason not to read the Bible literally" thread. How anyone reading 1Cor 13 could fail to see the ascendancy and preeminence of love over faith . . or the necessity that it is the most important characteristic insuring our sanctification . . . is beyond me. The "faith is more important than love" nonsense is the anti-Christ message.
More important? Did someone make that argument? I don't recall seeing such claim. Why one have to be "more important" than the other? You love to claim that other people suffer from all kinds of inabilities, and you love to highlight the errors you think you see in others, but I wonder about the way you repeatedly claim that others have made arguments they never made. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Finn if i could be bothered to look at it, it would be you saying nothing different to what you are now, defending i believe in Jesus and the bible rhetoric and elevating that over loving your neighbor as yourself which Jesus Christ taught us to do. To love your neighbor as yourself you are literally believing on Jesus Christ.He is the Living word you can take literally.
Well, don't read it then.... No big deal.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM

12,232 posts, read 5,827,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Thank you for that definition.

Can you also please give me an example of how you put your Trust/Faith in Christ.

If Faith is an action how is it that you do this act personally?

And how is one to know if it is done incorrectly?
I was only 5 years old when I believed in Christ. I don't remember the details. But I was probably given the gospel in Sunday School or by my mother. But I have always, as far back as I can remember, understood that eternal life is through faith in Christ Jesus. At that young age, I didn't have to cope with a lot of false doctrine that people get exposed to as they get older. It is easier to believe the gospel when you are that young.

When you hear the gospel message, you know whether you believe it or not. And you know whether or not you want a personal and eternal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

And God knows whether you believe or not. How you express your desire to receive the gift of eternal life is personal. But it is as simple as saying or thinking something along the lines of ''Father I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins, and I am receiving Him as my Savior.'', or ''Father, I am believing in Jesus Christ for eternal life.'' Something like that. And at that point you have eternal life. But you do not 'invite Christ into your heart.' You don't invite Christ into a garbage dump.

Acts 16:29 'And he called for lights and rushed in and, trembling with fear, he fell down before Paul and Silas, 30] and after he brought them out, he said, ''Sirs, what must I do to be saved?''

31] And they said, ''Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...''

If you want an eternal relationship with God, just believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that He came into the world as a man, that He paid the penalty for your sins and died for you, and that He rose again. And that through faith in Him, eternal life is yours. It is yours for the asking. Receiving the free gift of eternal life is that simple. And that's grace. Express your faith in Christ to God the Father, in your thoughts or words in your own vocabulary.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 PM

3,335 posts, read 1,174,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I was only 5 years old when I believed in Christ. I don't remember the details. But I was probably given the gospel in Sunday School or by my mother. But I have always, as far back as I can remember, understood that eternal life is through faith in Christ Jesus. At that young age, I didn't have to cope with a lot of false doctrine that people get exposed to as they get older. It is easier to believe the gospel when you are that young.

When you hear the gospel message, you know whether you believe it or not. And you know whether or not you want a personal and eternal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

And God knows whether you believe or not. How you express your desire to receive the gift of eternal life is personal. But it is as simple as saying or thinking something along the lines of ''Father I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins, and I am receiving Him as my Savior.'', or ''Father, I am believing in Jesus Christ for eternal life.'' Something like that. And at that point you have eternal life. But you do not 'invite Christ into your heart.' You don't invite Christ into a garbage dump.

Acts 16:29 'And he called for lights and rushed in and, trembling with fear, he fell down before Paul and Silas, 30] and after he brought them out, he said, ''Sirs, what must I do to be saved?''

31] And they said, ''Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved...''

If you want an eternal relationship with God, just believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, that He came into the world as a man, that He paid the penalty for your sins and died for you, and that He rose again. And that through faith in Him, eternal life is yours. It is yours for the asking. Receiving the free gift of eternal life is that simple. And that's grace. Express your faith in Christ to God the Father, in your thoughts or words in your own vocabulary.
What did Jesus say about one that believes in Him?

How do you live, that one would know that you believe?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
What did Jesus say about one that believes in Him?
For one thing... 'I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this? (John 11:25-26).

Quote:
How do you live, that one would know that you believe?
God sees into your heart and knows that you believe. Man can only see by your works, the evidence of your salvation. Man is justified before God by faith alone. Man sees the evidence of your justification before God through faith alone by the way that you live.

The New Testament Epistles were given in large reason, for instruction in how to live the Christian life. Study them as to how the believer is to live.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 PM

3,335 posts, read 1,174,080 times
Quote:
For one thing... 'I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this? (John 11:25-26).

God sees into your heart and knows that you believe. Man can only see by your works, the evidence of your salvation. Man is justified before God by faith alone. Man sees the evidence of your justification before God through faith alone by the way that you live.

The New Testament Epistles were given in large reason, for instruction in how to live the Christian life. Study them as to how the believer is to live.
Yes i understand that, but how do you live your belief?

How do you overcome temptation and walk the razors edge of discipline?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yes i understand that, but how do you live your belief?

How do you overcome temptation and walk the razors edge of discipline?
No one overcomes temptation all the time. If you walk in the Spirit, you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Gal 5:16-23.

The believer is to be filled with the Holy Spirit through acknowledging known sin when committed. (I John 1:9). Under the filling of the Spirit, the believer is to advance spiritually through the inculcation, metabolization, retention, recall, and application of Bible doctrine. The more a believer advances spiritually the more he can resist temptation. But he will always commit sin because he retains his old sin nature until he dies physically.

The Christian way of life is a supernatural way of life and demands the enabling power of God the Holy Spirit to execute it. The believer cannot execute the Christian way of life in the energy of the flesh.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 AM

18,076 posts, read 8,221,150 times
Quote:
No one overcomes temptation all the time. If you walk in the Spirit, you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Gal 5:16-23.

The believer is to be filled with the Holy Spirit through acknowledging known sin when committed. (I John 1:9). Under the filling of the Spirit, the believer is to advance spiritually through the inculcation, metabolization, retention, recall, and application of Bible doctrine. The more a believer advances spiritually the more he can resist temptation. But he will always commit sin because he retains his old sin nature until he dies physically.

The Christian way of life is a supernatural way of life and demands the enabling power of God the Holy Spirit to execute it. The believer cannot execute the Christian way of life in the energy of the flesh.
There is no such scriptual thing as the "Christian way of life", Jesus Christ is the way and the way of life, and he who is the way said his yoke is easy and his burden is light.Let me also tell you what you call the supernatural life is not, it's not bible education,Paul said let the same mind that was in Christ Jesus be in you. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts.

Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.

NO BIBLE REQUIRED !!!!!

Last edited by pcamps; 08-22-2011 at 05:40 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Good post

Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 AM

1,262 posts, read 448,426 times
In Ephesians 6 we're told to ''put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.''

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity