Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
Amen! Christ is the thread that runs through the entirety of Scripture. To miss this point or, worse, to speak disparagingly of the Bible is something I would never recommend.
No Christian speaks disparagingly of the Bible. We understand that the OT was to prepare us for Christ's coming, to help us identify Him and to provide the validations of Him. But Christ fulfilled them, period. They are useful for instruction . . . that means they provide both good and evil examples for us to discriminate between. Christ is the Word of God and the NT records His life, death and words for our understanding of God's true nature. IF you would understand the scriptures read them through the filter of the "mind of Christ." WWJD is the standard for discerning false teaching from truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Sis until they learn to rightly divide the scriptures evil and good will co-mingle one with the other.
Yes, I absolutely agree.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 PM

461 posts, read 480,542 times
Christianity is going the wrong way.They follow Paul.Jesus said to do and say what he did.Paul never did that.Jesus said that He gave His words to His followers and that he sent them into the world as His Father sent Him. It's in the book of John. Follow Jesus not Paul.

Jesus and I are One. He sent me.
I am the way the truth and the life no one comes to the Lord except through me. I came down from heaven to do the will of the Lord who sent me.Whoever chooses to do his will shall know about this teaching namely, whether it comes from God or whether I‘m speaking on my own.
Whoever speaks on his own seeks his own glory, but whoever seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful, and there is no dishonesty in his heart.
Stop judging by appearances, judge justly.
Yet I did not come on my own, the one who is true sent me, Him you do not know.
I know him, because I come from him, he’s the one who sent me.

No one can see the reign of God without being born from above.
No one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.
Flesh makes flesh ,spirit makes spirit.
Do not be amazed that I told you, You must be born from above.
The wind blows where it wills, and you can hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes; so it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.

I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.
Everything that the Lord gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,
because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me.
And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should lose nothing of what he gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day.
For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him possesses eternal life, and I shall raise him on the last day.
No one can come to me unless the Lord who sent me draws him, and I will raise him on the last day.
It is written in the prophets: They shall all be taught by God. Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me.
Not that anyone has seen God only the one who is from God has seen the God.
Truly I say to you, whoever believes possesses eternal life.
I am the bread of life.
this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and never die.
I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever;

Those are not my words they come from the Lord who sent me.He commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment means eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
God and Jesus did rebuke individuals. We're not saying they are perfect and without sin. No one is. But this does not impact on the writing of the Bible. These words were God-breathed. God made sure that His Word would prevail, as we would need it to know about our sin, our guilt, and the salvation that God so lovingly provided.

Nothing that we understand about these matters can be in conflict with the teachings ofthe Bible. If they are, then they cannot be trusted.
What if they cannot be trusted... What if they require you to trust the spirit speaking to your inner self... Can you trust what you know against what the bible writers wrote?

Do you trust your relationship with god/christ so much that you can see the errors in what the 1st century Christians knew and proclaimed?

It is amazing to me that a book written ages ago is so revered as to be idolized. It is a trust beyond understanding that begets thoughts that transcend christianinty and resemble godliness...IMHO.

Do you trust your relationship with your god so much that you are independent of written instruction? Does the bible dictate or teach?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, but God did still sovereignly governed the transmission of the Bible as we have it today. This was His sovereign purpose. He even spoke of having His words written down. I mentioned Isaiah 30:8 in a previous post (along with some other verses):

"Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever:

Actually, how can we even discuss God, Christ, salvation, etc. If we didn't first have the Bible we would know nothing about these things. They didn't just come to us by chance. We first learned of these things through teachings from the Bible. If we now turn around and discredit the Bible and think that we have some consciousness that overrides or supercedes the Bible we are looking for serious trouble.
Anyone can write a book... If you have a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with god then you have no need of a 1st century book!!!!

What they experienced does not and should not dictate what you know of truth.

Do you trust your spirit filled visions of the god of love or the 1st century musings of men who didnt even understand what love was?

I opt for direct communication myself. The test being... Is it aligned with and promoting LOVE? then it is not an untruth.

Some posters believe the message and intent of LOVE can be masked and fabricated by the devil, yet the bible says GOD IS LOVE, therefore how can LOVE burn people? How can love choose some and not others? How can LOVE require anything in return for giving it's love?

LOVE IS...

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What if they cannot be trusted... What if they require you to trust the spirit speaking to your inner self... Can you trust what you know against what the bible writers wrote?

Do you trust your relationship with god/christ so much that you can see the errors in what the 1st century Christians knew and proclaimed?

It is amazing to me that a book written ages ago is so revered as to be idolized. It is a trust beyond understanding that begets thoughts that transcend christianinty and resemble godliness...IMHO.

Do you trust your relationship with your god so much that you are independent of written instruction? Does the bible dictate or teach?
Does this remind you at all of what Christ did? Jesus brought about a NEW way of thinking to those who had grown stagnant in their "religion" of Judaism. The majority shunned him. Yet, the minority prevailed. Jesus spoke of love of self and others and for that I am in his debt.

He taught me, using the spirit of truth for discernment, that god desires ALL to experience life more abundantly.

I desire that for ALL people... And I know in my whole being that it is that desire which can change the WORLD.. As Jesus' words changed HIS world.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Does this remind you at all of what Christ did? Jesus brought about a NEW way of thinking to those who had grown stagnant in their "religion" of Judaism. The majority shunned him. Yet, the minority prevailed. Jesus spoke of love of self and others and for that I am in his debt.

He taught me, using the spirit of truth for discernment, that god desires ALL to experience life more abundantly.

I desire that for ALL people... And I know in my whole being that it is that desire which can change the WORLD.. As Jesus' words changed HIS world.

Beautifully said, katjonjj.
I felt the passion coming through in your words.
Very powerful.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sorry, but it does not prove it. You only assume it does, but it says nothing about the salvation process of the dead.
There are lots of things the Bible doesn't talk about, Finn.

But one thing you can be sure of: everyone who was made a sinner through Adam, will be made a saint through Christ, whether now or later. Even if you don't understand the process.

Romans 5. Gotta love it..!

Blessings,
Brian

Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Amen! Christ is the thread that runs through the entirety of Scripture. To miss this point or, worse, to speak disparagingly of the Bible is something I would never recommend.
There people will never tire defending the foundational pillars of their religion:

1. Hell does not exist
2. Satan does not exist
3. Faith in Christ in this life is not necessary
4. Bible is full of errors and is NOT the Word of God

If you do not agree with the above, then you are ignorant and have failed to properly divide the scriptures. Sigh...

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 AM

537 posts, read 456,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
More ignorance of the truth. Christ corrected the OT scriptures and understanding many times . . . "You have been told . . . But I Say . . ." This unwillingness to properly divide the scriptures and apply a black or white rote dogma to its validity is extremely dangerous to spiritual health. Its dominance in the mainstream ET dogma is catastrophic to the promotion of Christ's love for us all. It corrupts any attempts to "love God and each other."
Christ is the fulfillment of the OT Scriptures. Jesus spoke often about how the Scriptures must be fulfilled. This does not suggest, at all, that these were merely books written by fallible men, as has been claimed.

Yes, Christ did make adjustments, but this was also part of what He would fulfill. The OT pointed to His coming and to His work; He came as the fulfillment of these shadows and types.

We do have to rightly divide (or, "correctly handle") "the word of truth" (2 Tim 3:15). Jesus said, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity