Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 06:34 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times

Advertisements

Until one can comprehend exactly what PURE UNCONDITIONAL AGAPE LOVE is...one will continue to believe God to be a vengeful, wrathful, angry, jealous, etc. God who will punish anyone that somehow SEES him in a completely different LIGHT. Just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus said so. Paul said so. John said so. The word of God says so.

Is it worth saying? Yes. There are people who have sense enough to recognize truth. When given the information about their status before God as unbelievers, and the fact that they will be separated from God forever in the place that has come to commonly be called hell, but that Jesus Christ made it possible by means of His work on the cross to avoid having to go there, if they will place their faith in Christ for eternal life, some people will listen. They will receive Christ as Savior. They will have an eternal relationship with God.

What pleasure do I derive from giving people information so that they can be saved and not be eternally condemned? See the above paragraph.

The existence of hell isn't good news. That those who don't receive Christ as Savior will go there, isn't good news.

But the good news is that God did something about it. To understand why the good news is good, people must know something about the bad news that awaits them if they don't avail themselves of God's offer of salvation through faith alone in Christ alone.

It is my good pleasure to stand in the truth of the word of God and proclaim it to whoever will listen.

There are many people who will never believe what the Bible teaches. You for example not only do not believe in hell, you don't even believe in heaven. You don't believe in the existence of Satan, or in angels. You don't believe that Jesus Christ is God, and you don't believe that the Bible is the word of God. Yet, Jesus spoke of the reality of all of these things.

Actually all of Gods dealings that work to perfect mankind IS Good News.

Hell is good news when you understand that it's purpose is to erradicate the bad within us forever. The contrast of the ancient language is the picture that evil will be destroyed and Hell in scriptural context is indeed Good News.

It is called the Gospel (well message) of Jesus Christ, when you say that something Jesus talked about is bad news for human beings, then you have changed the message.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,758 times
Quote:
It is called the Gospel (well message) of Jesus Christ, when you say that something Jesus talked about is bad news for human beings, then you have changed the message
It was bad news for some when Christ healed the lepers on the sabbath as well.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Jesus said so. Paul said so. John said so. The word of God says so.
Proof? A 2000 year old book is supposed to prove there is a "bad place" people go after life? How do I know you aren't part of the antichrist cult?

Quote:
Is it worth saying? Yes. There are people who have sense enough to recognize truth. When given the information about their status before God as unbelievers, and the fact that they will be separated from God forever in the place that has come to commonly be called hell, but that Jesus Christ made it possible by means of His work on the cross to avoid having to go there, if they will place their faith in Christ for eternal life, some people will listen. They will receive Christ as Savior. They will have an eternal relationship with God.

What pleasure do I derive from giving people information so that they can be saved and not be eternally condemned? See the above paragraph.

The existence of hell isn't good news. That those who don't receive Christ as Savior will go there, isn't good news.

Quote:
But the good news is that God did something about it. To understand why the good news is good, people must know something about the bad news that awaits them if they don't avail themselves of God's offer of salvation through faith alone in Christ alone.
truth is not dependent on belief but you are saying god does nothing for someone unless they believe? So really the truth is not true unless you believe the truth as mike tells it?

Quote:
It is my good pleasure to stand in the truth of the word of God and proclaim it to whoever will listen.

There are many people who will never believe what the Bible teaches. You for example not only do not believe in hell, you don't even believe in heaven. You don't believe in the existence of Satan, or in angels. You don't believe that Jesus Christ is God, and you don't believe that the Bible is the word of God. Yet, Jesus spoke of the reality of all of these things.
and yet there is no proof any of what you say is true. Not even compelling evidence of the existence of those things. So if one doesn't believe in the existence of hell, for example, then the truth is... It doesn't exist.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
It was bad news for some when Christ healed the lepers on the sabbath as well.
Not really bad news to them, they hated Jesus for claiming to be the Son of God and daring to defy their traditions.

The gospel message was still Good News for the pharasees as well.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
To understand why the good news is good, people must know something about the bad news that awaits them if they don't avail themselves of God's offer of salvation through faith alone in Christ alone.

No one needs the threat of Hell looming over them to understand the Good News of Jesus Christ.

When I was young I knew there was some presence of Goodness in my life that I could not see, as I grew older and was introduced to the idea of Jesus Christ I was able to put english words to what I already knew. I did not need to think there was some horror awaiting me to understand that goodness.

And just so you know I will remind you once again that I reject your theory on the matter because my own life disproves it. YOU may need the threat of hell to understand, but seriously I doubt it, the problem is that you need people to believe you so you feel better about the doctrine of hell that your afraid of rejecting because deep down you know it is hogwash.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
truth is not dependent on belief but you are saying god does nothing for someone unless they believe? So really the truth is not true unless you believe the truth as mike tells it?
Great point, kat. It is amazing how many people equate their "beliefs about" truth . . . to the truth. It is silly. Truth is truth . . . no matter what anyone believes about it. This is even more obvious when they equate their "beliefs about" God . . . to God . . . AS IF somehow that makes it so. This is why people can believe in false Gods . . . AS IF there were actually more than one. The truth is there is only one God . . . and you either believe in God or do not. There are no other choices. What we believe does not determine what IS.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:40 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Great point, kat. It is amazing how many people equate their "beliefs about" truth . . . to the truth. It is silly. Truth is truth . . . no matter what anyone believes about it. This is even more obvious when they equate their "beliefs about" God . . . to God . . . AS IF somehow that makes it so. This is why people can believe in false Gods . . . AS IF there were actually more than one. The truth is there is only one God . . . and you either believe in God or do not. There are no other choices. What we believe does not determine what IS.
I agree totally - there is only one God, it is our interpretations and perceptions that are faulty to a greater or lesser degree.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Proof? A 2000 year old book is supposed to prove there is a "bad place" people go after life? How do I know you aren't part of the antichrist cult?

and yet there is no proof any of what you say is true. Not even compelling evidence of the existence of those things. So if one doesn't believe in the existence of hell, for example, then the truth is... It doesn't exist.
Do you not see the contradiction in what you said? You just said that truth doesn't depend on what you believe, which is true. Then you turned around and said that if you don't believe in the existence of hell, then it doesn't exist.

The above statements show your rejection of the Bible. Truth is truth whether you believe the truth or not.

Acts 16:30 '...''Sirs, what must I do to be saved?'' 31] And they said, ''Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved...''

John 3:36 ''He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.''

Those two passages speak the truth whether you believe them or not. You do not believe them because you do not believe the Bible. There is no salvation apart from believing in Jesus Christ for salvation.

The truth of the reality of hell, of Satan, of angels, of heaven, of the deity of Christ is a matter of divine revelation. Since heaven and hell are both beyond the scope and range of man's senses and any instrument of man, to demand physical proof of them is illogical. Fulfilled Biblical propecy is proof of the Bible's divine origin and therefore all that it says about hell can and is to be trusted.

Readers may wish to refer back to post #229.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-16-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 05:14 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Do you not see the contradiction in what you said? You just said that truth doesn't depend on what you believe, which is true. Then you turned around and said that if you don't believe in the existence of hell, then it doesn't exist.

The above statements show your rejection of the Bible. Truth is truth whether you believe the truth or not.

Acts 16:30 '...''Sirs, what must I do to be saved?'' 31] And they said, ''Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved...''

John 3:36 ''He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.''

Those two passages speak the truth whether you believe them or not. You do not believe them because you do not believe the Bible. There is no salvation apart from believing in Jesus Christ for salvation.

The truth of the reality of hell, of Satan, of angels, of heaven, of the deity of Christ is a matter of divine revelation. Since heaven and hell are both beyond the scope and range of man's senses and any instrument of man, to demand physical proof of them is illogical. Fulfilled Biblical propecy is proof of the Bible's divine origin and therefore all that it says about hell can and is to be trusted.

Readers may wish to refer back to post #229.
The Truth lies in whether or not you believe what Jesus taught. Anyone can believe in the man Jesus but whether or not you follow His teachings as the way to the Kingdom of God is a different story. The Truth doesn't lie in the belief of the man, it lies in the teachings of the man. We are to follow Him. Follow His example, His life, His attributes. No one can be Jesus so why would He mean to follow Him if all you have is the belief that He existed. It takes more that believing in Him, you must believe in what He taught. Then go do it.

You always want people to follow you and adhere to your beliefs. Anyone who doesn't, won't get to heaven. You are the only one who believes the way you do. You are the only one on your path. Just because others don't agree with you, doesn't make them wrong. Just be Love to each other. Stop trying to make eveyone in YOUR image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity