Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times

Advertisements

I have run into many posts where people who appear to consider themselves Catholic talk about Protestants as the "Christians".

They say things like "I used to go to a Christian school, but then I went to a Catholic school and the education was much better".

Don't Catholic Christians understand that they belief in Jesus as the devine son of God and part of the trinity?

Don't Catholic Christians know that Catholicism is the largest Christian denomination world-wide?

Maybe it's just an uneducated American misconception among American Catholics themselves... or perhaps Catholics no longer enjoy the lable "Christian" which means "Annointed" and is not a very humbling title...

can we please disscuss this, especially if you ARE Catholic. (also, I was wondering if people know that the major denominations of Christianity are Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and Protestantism(which has many denominations itself))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 05:12 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The ideas and doctrines of the Catholic Church and the Protestants different Church types are Christian, and Jesus Will accept the people who believe Jesus from these Churches , but if people from these churches water down Jesus obedience and put up their church as their God , they can come up in lack of the Holy Spirit ... But their doctrines are there and Jesus Spirit will help though who will believe......

Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Are you suggesting that most Catholics worship their church instead of their God? I doubt they would agree. and I also, as a non-Catholic, don't agree with such an assertion. I believe you have a Protestant bias.

What does it mean to be a Protestant Christian? It means a Christian who is against the Catholic Church. Are you a Protestant Christian, or a non-denominational Christian?

Saying such a thing about other denominations of Christianity is like saying that most Protestant denominations worship their own interpretations of scripture.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The ideas and doctrines of the Catholic Church and the Protestants different Church types are Christian, and Jesus Will accept the people who believe Jesus from these Churches , but if people from these churches water down Jesus obedience and put up their church as their God , they can come up in lack of the Holy Spirit ... But their doctrines are there and Jesus Spirit will help though who will believe......
It takes a closer examination of the catholic Jesus versus what The Bible says about Jesus particularly when it comes to justification, redemption, and eternal salvation requirements. The Bible is very emphatic that Christs atonement on the cross was TOTALLY sufficient to pay for all of mankinds sins in full and at THAT very moment when Christ declared the sin debt was finished at which point he gave up his Spirit and physically died. Because this act was a free undeserved grace-gift from God, all one can do is simply recieve it by Faith as a lavished gift that is indeed totally sufficient by applying the merits of Christ (alone) to ones sin account. Sadly, Catholics are taught that Christ only 'opened the door' for thier salvation in which they must complete thru infusing what Christ did with their own meritorious works, deeds, almsgiving, living a good catholic life partaking in its many religiousities , additionally trusting in other external things, and even applying other deceased Catholics good works to their own 'salvation' account as specifically indicated in Catechism #1477 for those who wish to look it up . Further, such added doctrines such as Purgatory exist to expiate/remedy any 'left over' sins that the faithful Catholic dies with -- therefore, both of these examples serve to indicate that Christs atonement was not totally sufficient and effacacious to save a person from ALL their sins .

So, its imperative to look beyond the surface of an individual/group declaring they believe / trust in Jesus etc... and see WHAT they are truly trusting in (or not) with regard to The Saviour . And of course, herein lies one of the biggest divisions between Roman Catholicism and the total authority of Gods Word which Protestants essentially reinstated via the Protestant Reformation.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM

334 posts, read 487,085 times
from the little I know, catholics put their faith in the priest, the pope and such. These are the reasons protestants don't believe they are christians.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 AM

141 posts, read 125,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I have run into many posts where people who appear to consider themselves Catholic talk about Protestants as the "Christians".

They say things like "I used to go to a Christian school, but then I went to a Catholic school and the education was much better".

Don't Catholic Christians understand that they belief in Jesus as the devine son of God and part of the trinity?

Don't Catholic Christians know that Catholicism is the largest Christian denomination world-wide?

Maybe it's just an uneducated American misconception among American Catholics themselves... or perhaps Catholics no longer enjoy the lable "Christian" which means "Annointed" and is not a very humbling title...

can we please disscuss this, especially if you ARE Catholic. (also, I was wondering if people know that the major denominations of Christianity are Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and Protestantism(which has many denominations itself))
As a former Protestant, I understand what you mean here. Actually however, on my message boards there are far, far more Protestants that use the terms "Christians" to refer to Protestants and Catholics for Catholics. However, I have noticed a few Catholics who do this, as well, and I think it's either an Hispanic thing and/or younger unlearned Catholics mimicking the Protestants who do this.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
from the little I know, catholics put their faith in the priest, the pope and such. These are the reasons protestants don't believe they are christians.
Protestants are often misinformed, but sadly so are Catholics.

We believe in the Nicene Creed. We worship God, not the Pope. In Eucharist we are joined with Jesus not any Pope. Individual priests are fallible flawed human beings. There are priests I have very little faith in. And I'm reasonably certain every priest, including the Pope himself, has a confessor. In their personal self Popes commit sins and can be in error on points of science or what have you.

Three of the original Fundamentalist points
  • The Virgin Birth of Christ
  • The bodily resurrection and physical return of Christ
  • The substitutionary atonement of Christ on the cross
Are agreed to by Catholics.

However we do deem the church to be "one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church." "One" as in one leader, one body, etc. "Catholic" as in universal. And by universal I mean not of any race, nationality, language-speaker, etc. Catholics from Nigeria to Paraguay are under one faith with one leader. We recognize apostolic succession with the Pope as the heir to Peter. Thus given a right by God of binding or unbinding.

And I could probably explain all this better except I've not slept in seventeen hours.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Are you suggesting that most Catholics worship their church instead of their God? I doubt they would agree. and I also, as a non-Catholic, don't agree with such an assertion. I believe you have a Protestant bias.

What does it mean to be a Protestant Christian? It means a Christian who is against the Catholic Church. Are you a Protestant Christian, or a non-denominational Christian?

Saying such a thing about other denominations of Christianity is like saying that most Protestant denominations worship their own interpretations of scripture.
Maybe that's what it meant originally, but nowadays the term is used as a catch-all to mean most non-Catholic Christian denominations. I'm an Episcopalian, but that doesn't mean I am against the Catholic Church. It's just the denomination whose traditions I identify with because I found a home in a particular church of that denomination.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
You know very little, then. Catholics tend to put their faith in God and in Christ.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 PM

141 posts, read 125,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
It takes a closer examination of the catholic Jesus versus what The Bible says about Jesus particularly when it comes to justification, redemption, and eternal salvation requirements. The Bible is very emphatic that Christs atonement on the cross was TOTALLY sufficient to pay for all of mankinds sins in full and at THAT very moment when Christ declared the sin debt was finished at which point he gave up his Spirit and physically died. Because this act was a free undeserved grace-gift from God, all one can do is simply recieve it by Faith as a lavished gift that is indeed totally sufficient by applying the merits of Christ (alone) to ones sin account. Sadly, Catholics are taught that Christ only 'opened the door' for thier salvation in which they must complete thru infusing what Christ did with their own meritorious works, deeds, almsgiving, living a good catholic life partaking in its many religiousities , additionally trusting in other external things, and even applying other deceased Catholics good works to their own 'salvation' account as specifically indicated in Catechism #1477 for those who wish to look it up . Further, such added doctrines such as Purgatory exist to expiate/remedy any 'left over' sins that the faithful Catholic dies with -- therefore, both of these examples serve to indicate that Christs atonement was not totally sufficient and effacacious to save a person from ALL their sins .

So, its imperative to look beyond the surface of an individual/group declaring they believe / trust in Jesus etc... and see WHAT they are truly trusting in (or not) with regard to The Saviour . And of course, herein lies one of the biggest divisions between Roman Catholicism and the total authority of Gods Word which Protestants essentially reinstated via the Protestant Reformation.
NO. You need to start with more elementary Catholic doctrine. I suggest the most fitting place would be Jesus building his Church on Peter the rock.

God bless,

Augusta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity