Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

Interesting column in Christianity Today on Pentecostalism, which now represents at least a quarter of all Christians:

Ministry practitioners, denominational leaders, and scholars whom I have talked to have noted three prominent trends in North American Pentecostalism: a marked decrease in speaking in tongues in public worship; fresh developments in Pentecostal eschatology; and a broader engagement in compassionate ministry and social concern.

All three trends deserve comment, but I want to highlight the last trend: On numerous fronts and in an increasing number of ways, Pentecostals are engaging in compassionate ministries and social change.

A New Kind of Pentecostal | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:49 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Interesting column in Christianity Today on Pentecostalism, which now represents at least a quarter of all Christians:

Ministry practitioners, denominational leaders, and scholars whom I have talked to have noted three prominent trends in North American Pentecostalism: a marked decrease in speaking in tongues in public worship; fresh developments in Pentecostal eschatology; and a broader engagement in compassionate ministry and social concern.

All three trends deserve comment, but I want to highlight the last trend: On numerous fronts and in an increasing number of ways, Pentecostals are engaging in compassionate ministries and social change.

A New Kind of Pentecostal | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction
I would say the last is true of The Movement, based in Niles, Ohio. I've been attending there for a couple of months now. They really have a heart for helping the community. They helped clean up along the banks of the Mahoning River; they volunteer at the Warren Family Mission and they've started a community garden to give fresh vegetables to the needy. They're also planning to have an outreach of their own in the downtown Warren area.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Interesting link! Thank you.

I also think that The Movement is one of a number of churches that fits this mold.

Pentecostal churches were historically never very involved in social ministies because of their focus on the Great Commission, individual religious experience and in the preparation for the End Times.

It's an interesting change of direction and focus for Pentecostal churches.

I should add that not everyone in the Movement practices the gifts of spirit as understood by the Pentecostal movement, and it is not an "essential".

Last edited by sheena12; 05-31-2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 12:25 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I would say the last is true of The Movement, based in Niles, Ohio. I've been attending there for a couple of months now. They really have a heart for helping the community. They helped clean up along the banks of the Mahoning River; they volunteer at the Warren Family Mission and they've started a community garden to give fresh vegetables to the needy. They're also planning to have an outreach of their own in the downtown Warren area.
"The Movement"? They are announcing exactly what they are and it's no more special than any other group to pop up ever. You seem easily dazzled by this though. There is nothing new under the sun you know. Especially when it comes to religion. Movements are just that.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"The Movement"? They are announcing exactly what they are and it's no more special than any other group to pop up ever. You seem easily dazzled by this though. There is nothing new under the sun you know. Especially when it comes to religion. Movements are just that.
Perhaps participating makes the difference.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
wow.....I know I've seen this somewhere before...almost like there was a thrad recently that was closed down.....

Old 06-01-2013, 05:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post

Pentecostalism HAS come along way. They're starting to consider some of their theology, and think bigger than just the moment, and the experience. I think that's a good thing.

I also think it's a great thing that they're thinking of helping the poor, doing good things, etc. I just hope that it doesn't take their eyes off of the main point--Jesus, and His Gospel. Unfortunately, I think that's what happened with some liberal churches in America (not that Pentecostals are liberal--just using an example).

Old 06-01-2013, 06:11 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times

26If anyone thinks that he is religious and does not bridle his tongue, but instead deceives himself, his religion is worthless.
27 A religion that is pure and stainless according to God the Father is this: to take care of orphans and widows who are suffering, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

26If anyone thinks that he is religious and does not bridle his tongue, but instead deceives himself, his religion is worthless.
27 A religion that is pure and stainless according to God the Father is this: to take care of orphans and widows who are suffering, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
Outstanding short quote. Titus goes into a little more detail. A good summary passage is in chapter 3: when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

But the best short quote is in chapter 2:Jesus Christ, 14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

There are some people who say that you "can't do enough to please God," and while it is true that you can't earn salvation, it is clear that doing good works IS pleasing to God. It is good to see any body that emphasizes that and sets up opportunities for its members to participate in the work of the kingdom.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

The Movement is the name of the church.

In Christianity there have been scads of "new things under the sun" - from the Counsel of Nicea, to the Reformation, to the first and second Great Awakenings, to Vatican II, The Jesus Movement and so one.

The Church will never stop evolving, changing, reforming, breaking off, coming together, or growing.
That is because, like it or not, there is a scriptural basis for this. We are a Living Body. The Body of Christ on Earth.

Change and movement are part of life.

The Movement took it's name from this idea and the fact that things that are alive, move.
Dead things do not move. The name has several layers of meaning. It also may refer to the Movement of the Holy Spirit.

Don't be so literal, OK? There are not many new churches in this millennium that are being named "First" or after the name of a street or town. It's interesting to me as one who studies language and culture, that these new names and new churches have names that are more descriptive of the church and it's vision, than ever before. From Elevations Church in North Carolina, to Simple Church in Ohio.

The Movement is one of a growing number of churches that are using new methods yet adhering to ancient beliefs to excite a new generation and interest people in attending church, and encountering Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity