Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Hardly seems like a loss of a friend to me. Friends are not so shallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
People always forget about an important part.........grace. At one time we were sinning just as bad as those individuals and our sin may have been in a different area that wasn't as visible. If that person is not harming her, then there really is no reason to delete them.

I also disagree with the person earlier who said that Christians are everywhere. Christians aren't everywhere. There are a lot of people who are wolf in sheep's clothing, who use Christianity for a means, whether it is to make money or something else. If you have the opportunity to evangelize someone, it is our duty as Christians to use that opportunity. Who is to say that that person doesn't go out of the house right after that and die, God forbid. We need to stop acting as if people know what the truth is. There are a lot of false prophets feeding people and giving them bad doctrine that is sending a lot of us to hell.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
She sounds like a hypocritical judgmental snot. Perhaps she needs a refresher course in how one is supposed to live while claiming to follow Jesus. Based on the above...she needs it.
I think you need the refresher course more than she does ChristyGrl.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Last edited by allenk893; 08-19-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM

39 posts, read 47,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
I'm sure she could find 12 other verses contradicting THAT one.

When will Christians admit the bible is a jumble of needlessly connected attempts at faux wisdom?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:37 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

Nope...I accept all people just as they are...it's not my job to try and change them. When God is ready to...he will draw them to himself...that is the way he works.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreeeGone View Post
I'm sure she could find 12 other verses contradicting THAT one.

When will Christians admit the bible is a jumble of needlessly connected attempts at faux wisdom?
It's not ALL faux wisdom...but it does contain a great deal of man made minutia that must be sifted through to get to the true spiritual nuggets contained in it.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:09 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I read an interesting Facebook post from a Christian friend tonight. She said that she will defriend any friend who writes a post with a swear word and that she has just defriended three people for this reason.

None of them know Christ, according to additional posts she posted when people commented on her original post.

As a Christian who doesn't use swear words, I'm sometimes surprised when they pop up on Facebook. But they are always posts from unsaved friends and I've never considered defriending them for this reason. My reasoning behind this is that perhaps one day they'll read one of my posts about my relationship with Christ, or a link to a Christian website or video and they'll be inspired to explore Christianity. If I cut them off, how do I know that there's anyone else out there to witness to them?

Any thoughts on this? It really led to a lively debate on my friend's Facebook page.
Sounds like she's not very "christian". We all walk a different path and if she defriends for using offending words then what would she do if one of her friends commited murder. She sounds crazy to me.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I read an interesting Facebook post from a Christian friend tonight. She said that she will defriend any friend who writes a post with a swear word and that she has just defriended three people for this reason.

None of them know Christ, according to additional posts she posted when people commented on her original post.

As a Christian who doesn't use swear words, I'm sometimes surprised when they pop up on Facebook. But they are always posts from unsaved friends and I've never considered defriending them for this reason. My reasoning behind this is that perhaps one day they'll read one of my posts about my relationship with Christ, or a link to a Christian website or video and they'll be inspired to explore Christianity. If I cut them off, how do I know that there's anyone else out there to witness to them?

Any thoughts on this? It really led to a lively debate on my friend's Facebook page.
Would Jesus have cut them off if they had used a swear word around Him? Cutting them off because they use a swear word is kinda like judging them, is it not?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:57 PM

39 posts, read 47,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
It's not ALL faux wisdom...but it does contain a great deal of man made minutia that must be sifted through to get to the true spiritual nuggets contained in it.
The "truth" is subjective.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:52 AM

478 posts, read 773,397 times
LisaMc46- as rude and haughty as it is for your friend to make a point to announce that she'd delete people who use curse words- is it really any better that you have decided to NOT delete friends on your page that you obviously have no respect for, but instead keep them on your page in hopes that you can "witness", and that they might 'explore christianity' via your posts...? Come on, please hon- be realistic. And respectful. Not to mention, just enjoy facebook for what it is, which is about sharing with friends (ones you LIKE), and most importantly- it's supposed to be FUN! The fact that you used phrases like 'unsaved' and 'not knowing christ' and 'witness' tells me you aren't having much fun on there, that you're judging others, and on a mission...

It seems perhaps your heart is in the right place, but no doubt you're an intelligent person, so you *have* to know that most people who aren't of your particular faith will find any religious stuff you post annoying? Why not create a separate fb page about your religion and beliefs and whatnot, and invite your friends? Those that want to join, will. Those that don't- I hope you respect them and let them be, and I'd hope they treat you the same.

AND PS, to everyone- there is a HIDE button on facebook to hide people's posts that you'd rather not have show in your news feed. If saving someone's feelings are more important to you than proving a point- use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity