Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,376,807 times

Advertisements

I read an interesting Facebook post from a Christian friend tonight. She said that she will defriend any friend who writes a post with a swear word and that she has just defriended three people for this reason.

None of them know Christ, according to additional posts she posted when people commented on her original post.

As a Christian who doesn't use swear words, I'm sometimes surprised when they pop up on Facebook. But they are always posts from unsaved friends and I've never considered defriending them for this reason. My reasoning behind this is that perhaps one day they'll read one of my posts about my relationship with Christ, or a link to a Christian website or video and they'll be inspired to explore Christianity. If I cut them off, how do I know that there's anyone else out there to witness to them?

Any thoughts on this? It really led to a lively debate on my friend's Facebook page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 PM

8,096 posts, read 6,845,135 times
starvation, child abuse, murder, drug addiction, depression, joblessness, homelessness, war...

and your friend is worried about people using words that mean "poopie"?

tell your friend she should readjust her perspective a little.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,031,257 times
I also usually defriend my quasi-friends whose posts annoy me. Only if they are spammers though. If their posts are rare I usually just over look them.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM

7,706 posts, read 12,550,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
If I cut them off, how do I know that there's anyone else out there to witness to them? Any thoughts on this? It really led to a lively debate on my friend's Facebook page.
I don't mean to be rude Lisa but honestly, this is the United States of America. Facebook is hardly the only place where they will hear the word. We have street preachers on almost every block. We have christian tv channels they can stumble on while watching television. There's Christian books at every walmart and big store in the country. All of our hotels have Bibles inside of them. Half of our population is Christian so you can easily strike up a conservation about that. There are churches on every block on every street. If you live in this country, you will never have an excuse that you didn't hear the word. I don't think de-friending a few atheist is going to keep God from doing whatever he can to witness to them. I had to keep myself from friend requesting atheist were my friends in real life. Because I don't want to deal with them. I don't want to deal with the comments and the hardy-hars if I want to post a Christian article or make a comment about the last days. I don't worry about them getting the word because they get it everyday of their lives. You don't have to feel guilty. You do what is right for you. There is no excuse any atheist will be able to give God at the judgment seat that they never heard the word.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 PM

697 posts, read 1,067,909 times
Seriously, swearing means you're an atheist? Oh please. I swear more than I should, sorry about that, but I'm not an atheist. I sin in lots of other ways too, but I'm not perfect, like your Facebook friend apparently is.

P.S. I swear out loud, not on Facebook, so maybe that is okey dokey with your friend?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,849,930 times
Quote:
I read an interesting Facebook post from a Christian friend tonight. She said that she will defriend any friend who writes a post with a swear word and that she has just defriended three people for this reason.

None of them know Christ, according to additional posts she posted when people commented on her original post.

As a Christian who doesn't use swear words, I'm sometimes surprised when they pop up on Facebook. But they are always posts from unsaved friends and I've never considered defriending them for this reason. My reasoning behind this is that perhaps one day they'll read one of my posts about my relationship with Christ, or a link to a Christian website or video and they'll be inspired to explore Christianity. If I cut them off, how do I know that there's anyone else out there to witness to them?

Any thoughts on this? It really led to a lively debate on my friend's Facebook page.
Christ ate and drank with publicans and sinners....Ya think He might of heard some rough talk?...He did not come to call the righteous but the unrighteous to repentance...Sounds like your friend in spiritually immature and has a long way to go learning knowledge...The Bible says to be in the world and not of it...Just because some of her saved friends swear does not mean that she has to in order to be their friends...Do you think Christ pushed people away for swearing?...If He did no one would have been there to hear Him because He would have been all by Himself...BTW, swearing and cursing in the scriptures does not carry the meaning that we use those words for today...swearing means to take an oath and cursing means to call something bad down on someone....Like "may you break your leg"...That is a curse...

Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,849,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't mean to be rude Lisa but honestly, this is the United States of America. Facebook is hardly the only place where they will hear the word. We have street preachers on almost every block. We have christian tv channels they can stumble on while watching television. There's Christian books at every walmart and big store in the country. All of our hotels have Bibles inside of them. Half of our population is Christian so you can easily strike up a conservation about that. There are churches on every block on every street. If you live in this country, you will never have an excuse that you didn't hear the word. I don't think de-friending a few atheist is going to keep God from doing whatever he can to witness to them. I had to keep myself from friend requesting atheist were my friends in real life. Because I don't want to deal with them. I don't want to deal with the comments and the hardy-hars if I want to post a Christian article or make a comment about the last days. I don't worry about them getting the word because they get it everyday of their lives. You don't have to feel guilty. You do what is right for you. There is no excuse any atheist will be able to give God at the judgment seat that they never heard the word.
Even if they don't hear the word...They are still without excuse....

Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,427,729 times
Whew, sure am glad Christ isn't so picky, choosy about who He associates with.. If He is then I am a big sinner in cyber and real life...

It sounds pretty arrogant and self righteous to me to unfriend anyone based on their beliefs or a few words you find offensive..

Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,184,301 times
Quote:

She sounds like a hypocritical judgmental snot. Perhaps she needs a refresher course in how one is supposed to live while claiming to follow Jesus. Based on the above...she needs it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,909,479 times
Many people take facebook waaaaay to seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity