Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 AM

76,829 posts, read 47,156,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
So you equate the Prophets of God w/ the leaders of America?

I've studied modern wars, and they are not for the glory of God.
They are unholy and for profit and revenge, not freedom or peace.
No, I didn't say anything about leaders of America, and it has nothing to do with it. Clearly God approved war since He ordered Jews to march into battle time after time. And He said to obey the authorities, so if the authorities tell you to go, you go. If you are uneasy about killing, you can request to be a medic like I did (I didn't serve at wartime anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,523,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, I didn't say anything about leaders of America, and it has nothing to do with it. Clearly God approved war since He ordered Jews to march into battle time after time. And He said to obey the authorities, so if the authorities tell you to go, you go. If you are uneasy about killing, you can request to be a medic like I did (I didn't serve at wartime anyway).
Thank you for your service to our country. Others do not understand because the issues are higher than we can always comprehend.They can attribute all kinds of motives [some true but not all] to acts of wars. King David said "I do not exercise in matters too high for me to understand." Because God said, obey the authority, He takes responsibility for the outcome and you are guiltless because of that, unless of coarse one where to commit war crimes.

The bottom line is, is that evil starts wars but God ends them after having His vengeance to change the coarse of events for the better, much like when the police who do not bear arms in vain, are sent to put down the rebellion of criminals. They are ministers of God.

Thank God we have a volunteer army that accommodates the more sensitive among us as it should be and even as it was also established in O.T. times.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:50 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,332,179 times
If governments are in place by God, then it is true for every government that exists. Therefore, a Christian who follows his government's plan to topple another government is not following what the Bible teaches.

Imagine 2 Christians killing each other for their respective governments! Not very intelligent...

So we ought to respect the government we live under. If you are a Christian living in America, you respect your govt. If you are a Christian living in China, you respect your govt.

But killing is a sin, and Christ laid down His life as an example for us to follow. Is a soldier killing other people following Jesus' example? No.

Blessings of the Prince of Peace,
Brian

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 AM

4,433 posts, read 4,845,418 times
Those that claim to be Christian and use the Bible to justify hatred and murder are no better than a Muslim that uses the Koran to justify hatred and murder.
The world would be a better place if they both did not exist so that the rest of us could coexist in peace.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM

Peace and social justice are the main theme of the New Testament

Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,904,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
But killing is a sin, and Christ laid down His life as an example for us to follow. Is a soldier killing other people following Jesus' example? No.

Killing in and of itself is not a sin, murder is, and while some people try to blur the lines of that reality the fact is that a Christian can participate in war and not be against God.

I think where Christians go wrong is when they think that because they believe "they have the truth" that God is "on their side" when it comes to the conflicts of imperfect mortals.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,105,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Killing in and of itself is not a sin, murder is, and while some people try to blur the lines of that reality the fact is that a Christian can participate in war and not be against God.

I think where Christians go wrong is when they think that because they believe "they have the truth" that God is "on their side" when it comes to the conflicts of imperfect mortals.
Agreed.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,904,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Those that claim to be Christian and use the Bible to justify hatred and murder are no better than a Muslim that uses the Koran to justify hatred and murder.
Agreed, and neither are any different than a murderer who doesn't use either one as motivation.

Quote:
The world would be a better place if they both did not exist so that the rest of us could coexist in peace.
I would say that would be hard to judge, history has many examples where the root motivation of genocide, murder, theivery, abuse and exploitation has nothing to do with either document. I think the world would be in similar shape if neither existed simply because it is not those documents that cause people to be flawed and corrupt in their hearts.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The original Gulf War I felt was justified as defense of an ally, but my support for Iraq was initially based more on it as "necessary and useful" which is morally troublesome. And I realize now I was wrong to support it.
Going back to when I mentioned about all wars start with a lie many don't know this about the first Gulf War

Some of us are old enough to remember that a 15 yr old Kuwaiti girl told a U.S. congressional committee that she seen Iraqi soldiers take 15 babies out of an incubator in a Kuwaiti hospital and leave them on the cold floor to die.
Some congress members, including the late Tom Lantos (D., Calf.) knew but did not tell the U.S. public that the girl was the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the U.S., that she’d been coached by a major U.S. public relations firm paid by the Kuwaiti government, and that there was no evidence for the story.
President Bush used the dead baby story 10 times in the next 40 days, and 7 senators used it in the Senate debate on whether to approve military action.

So I have to question when some posters say that God tells us we should obey our leaders/government.
Our government has supported some of the most brutal dictators the world has ever known.
And I must add some of our religious leaders have supported our government in the support of these dictators actively or by remaining silent and not speaking out; the same thing happened in Nazi Germany.

Last edited by ted08721; 08-24-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,380,424 times
We can only take from scripture what (we think) are God's thoughts on issues. We, being only human and not all-knowing as He is, can only accept what He says. We don't have to agree with it. Add this war question to your list of questions to ask Him when you get to heaven. :-)

Ecclesiastes 3
:

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Romans 13:4:

For he [the government] is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword [an instrument of punishment, as well as an emblem of war] in vain: for he [the government] is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Isaiah 55:8-9:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity