Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Jesus was born of a virgin?
I am Catholic and I DO believe in a virgin birth. 9 12.50%
I am NOT Catholic and DO believe in a virgin birth. 37 51.39%
I am Catholic and DO NOT believe in a virgin birth. 2 2.78%
I am NOT Catholic and I DO NOT believe in a virgin birth. 18 25.00%
Other/Don't care 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The information and the reason why Joseph's name is used instead of Mary's has already been explained to you. Moderator cut: orphaned
As I said, this is now finished.
Next up, Matthew (1:1-17). Moderator cut: delete The lineage here is drastically different from Luke's. I wonder why? Do you happen to have an answer to this as well? At least in this case a few select females are used in the lineage, along with Mary, but wait... Joseph was deemed necessary here as well! Why would God lie/misrepresent facts?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: personal and baiting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
... Romans 5:12-21 makes clear the neccessity of the virgin birth of Jesus.
Romans 5:12-21 does not make any mention of a virgin birth.

Quote:
... Only by being born by means of a virgin birth could Jesus be born without sin.

If there had been no virgin birth, there would have been no salvation for anyone.
This is purely your own private interpretation [letting loose].

Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Even if it did... after the fact.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:27 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Are you incapable of putting things together? Sin came into the world through Adam. The sin nature is passed down through the male. For that reason, Jesus had to come into the world through a virgin birth.

Quote:
This is purely your own private interpretation [letting loose].
No it is not. It is a matter of theology. Christ could only pay for the sins of the world if He Himself were free from sin. The virgin birth was necessary in order to bring Jesus into the world free from the penalty of Adam's original sin.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Are you incapable of putting things together? Sin came into the world through Adam. The sin nature is passed down through the male. For that reason, Jesus had to come into the world through a virgin birth. ...
Why must you deny the Bible?

God gave us His Word, there is no need for you [or anyone] to despise the Bible and make-up their own doctrines.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Why must you deny the Bible?

God gave us His Word, there is no need for you [or anyone] to despise the Bible and make-up their own doctrines.
The denial is not mine. The Bible teaches original sin. I have given you the scripture. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ is God. As I recall, you deny that. The Bible teaches that Jesus came into the world through a virgin birth. That wasn't done just for the heck of it. It was necessary for Jesus Christ, who eternally existing as God, to become a member of the human race, but without sin. The virgin birth accomplished that.

If you choose not to acknowledge that, then that is your choice. As you are now moving toward making accusations of me despising the Bible and making things up, this conversation is over. You should study some theology.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The denial is not mine. The Bible teaches original sin. I have given you the scripture. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ is God. As I recall, you deny that. The Bible teaches that Jesus came into the world through a virgin birth. That wasn't done just for the heck of it. It was necessary for Jesus Christ, who eternally existing as God, to become a member of the human race, but without sin. The virgin birth accomplished that.

If you choose not to acknowledge that, then that is your choice. As you are now moving toward making accusations of me despising the Bible and making things up, this conversation is over. You should study some theology.
I stand on each truth that the Bible teaches us. You insist on denying the Bible in favor of man made doctrines.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Clearly, "virgin birth" wasn't worth mentioning, and yet it appears to be central to Christ's divinity according to some around here? What about you?
It was mentioned in three places (not enough for you?), including prophecy in the OT.

Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:27, 34

Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
The requirements for the Lamb are laid out in the OT.

A 'virgin birth' is not among the requirements.
"Without blemish" is.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It was mentioned in three places (not enough for you?), including prophecy in the OT.

Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:27, 34
Pardon me, I just clicked on each of your links.

None of them say a word about any virgin birth.

Maybe you want to re-do your links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity