Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM

161 posts, read 562,652 times

Advertisements

After years of not having a real relationship with Christ, I have for the past two. Since then, God has brought a good friend into my life who has done things for me no one ever has. God certainly knew I needed him.

But there is something that I have always wondered about, but have been afraid to ask or imply, mainly because my friend has been a life-long Christian for all of his 28 years, so who am I to question him.

He was raised in a Christian family, married a Christian from a strong Christian family, and works for a Christian school. He believes in serving others, but only other people who are already Christian. He fellowships with other Christians and likes to talk about his faith, but does very litlle to share his beliefs with non-believers.

Is this the way things are supposed to be? Are we supposed to live in an isolated bubble and just be content with only existing fellow believers. Having the painful past I have had, I cannot help but want to share my faith and experience with others who may not have accepted Christ as their Savior yet, because I know there is hope for them. And I have seen first hand how people can change.

Sometimes I wonder if our paths had crossed before I gave my life to Christ, how things would be. Would he have treated me differently? Part of me knows it has to be somewhat difficult for him to be empathetic to someone who is a non-believer when you have never been one yourself.

I am just looking for some insight on this. I am missing something that calls us to only help and communicate with existing Christians and ignore non-believers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
We are all children of GOd. Christian is just a label people like to use to seperate themselves. What does it really matter what someone else is doing if you believe in another way? Do what's right for YOU and not whats right for other people. Treat others the way that you would want to be treated and love above all else.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota79 View Post
After years of not having a real relationship with Christ, I have for the past two. Since then, God has brought a good friend into my life who has done things for me no one ever has. God certainly knew I needed him.

But there is something that I have always wondered about, but have been afraid to ask or imply, mainly because my friend has been a life-long Christian for all of his 28 years, so who am I to question him.

He was raised in a Christian family, married a Christian from a strong Christian family, and works for a Christian school. He believes in serving others, but only other people who are already Christian. He fellowships with other Christians and likes to talk about his faith, but does very litlle to share his beliefs with non-believers.

Is this the way things are supposed to be? Are we supposed to live in an isolated bubble and just be content with only existing fellow believers. Having the painful past I have had, I cannot help but want to share my faith and experience with others who may not have accepted Christ as their Savior yet, because I know there is hope for them. And I have seen first hand how people can change.

Sometimes I wonder if our paths had crossed before I gave my life to Christ, how things would be. Would he have treated me differently? Part of me knows it has to be somewhat difficult for him to be empathetic to someone who is a non-believer when you have never been one yourself.

I am just looking for some insight on this. I am missing something that calls us to only help and communicate with existing Christians and ignore non-believers?
Shalom...no, you're not missing "something." Bear in mind though what The Word of G-d said..."Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." Matthew 7:6 KJV
...from your Christian friend's point of view, discretion is the better part of valor. While he/she is commanded by Christ to love his/her enemies, he /she must remember to..."Be not deceived: Evil associations corrupt good manners." I Corinthians 15:33 KJV.
I empathize with your overwhelming feelings of isolation...use those moments to pray for prayer warriors to surround you, to encourage you in your new walk of faith in Christ, to strengthen in you in your new found resolve, that come what may nothing can separate you from the love of Christ.
The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you The Everlasting Peace of His Christ in you...

Old 09-05-2011, 03:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

You should share your beliefs with unbelievers. Why do you think missionaries go into the jungles to spread the word? Just because your friend doesn't do it, doesn't mean that God doesnt' want you to. There is no need for that kind of isolation.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:19 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Jesus himself told us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. That means everybody, not just fellow believers. Had He meant that, He'd have said, "love your brethren..." but He didn't.

Your friend is misguided.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
The great commission is to spread the Gospel throughout the nations. Many Christians have an insular attitude, and don't reach out to non-Christians. My advice is to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit when sharing with others.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Is this the way things are supposed to be? Are we supposed to live in an isolated bubble and just be content with only existing fellow believers.
No.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:

(see bolded above) Is it possible your friend is sharing Christ in a way that you are not aware of? Different gifts are given to each believer.

If you are that concerned, ask your friend about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Jesus himself told us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. That means everybody, not just fellow believers. Had He meant that, He'd have said, "love your brethren..." but He didn't.

Your friend is misguided.
Yes and no.

Galatians 6:10

Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity