Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:47 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times

Advertisements

I am just asking is all. Thoughts?

What makes this religion SO much better than the others.

What makes this religion "right", and the others wrong.

Why the need for religion, AT ALL?

Finally, if I were to see you today, unawares, could I tell that you are, in fact,,,a Christian?

And BTW, yes. I am a Christian, and these questions have permeated my mind as of late. In all facets. The past, present, and future.

To listen, is to learn. Whether it is truth, or a lie. But to 'hear' and 'see', that which the Spirit leads us to, is the springs of life.

So, on this day of labors, which some do celebrate, I thought I should ask myself what sets the Christian 'apart' from the world. If it even does......

Blessings to you and yours,,
Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:08 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Good to see you posting again tony. Thought provoking questions.

I believe religion is a means for man to answer the question, "why are we here" however, it is not a necessity. To answer these questions we need to dig deeper. Thanks for the post. Love sets you apart and also brings you together. As social beings, we need others to help us become who we were meant to be.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

Tony
Umm...cuz thru Jesus you can have a right relationship with God? All your sins forgiven? Save by grace and not works?

Or would you rather have to earn salvation by doing good works with no assurance as in Judaism or Islam?

Or worship Idols as in Hinduism-I don't think so.

Or buddhism which doesn't even worship any gods-that won't work either.

I will stop here, unless you want to discuss Taoism, Shintoism, Animism, et-al.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:58 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Why would ANYONE want to be a Christian?
If you love God, you will find in yourself a strong desire to walk the Christian walk. If you find yourself wishing to take up your cross and follow Jesus, you'll seek to become a member of His body. However ... the Christian religion is a fantastic smokescreen behind which the degenerate can hide his evil, his hatred for fellow men, and work his iniquity.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
In Christianity you have a God that became a man, but not to be an earthly king or go on grand adventures fighting dragons or whatever. God experienced the human in both triumph (Jerusalem), humility (poverty), and suffering. (The Crucifixion) So Christianity allows for a God that knows us and that we know knows us. It's possible God would know what it's like to be human without that, as God knows everything, but we would not really "know" it knows. If that makes sense. In Christ we are reconciled/connected or however you want to put it to God. (Krishna is also a God/Man, but he was involved in various political machinations and is not quite the same kind of reconciling/redeeming figure)

Also by having beliefs from an objective/omniscient being you get around issues of subjectivity. It's not simply some rabbis opinion of the Old Testament or the reflections of a wandering man in China or India.

Christianity has also united people from diverse cultures or places. This isn't something simply created by European imperialism. As early as the tenth century you had Christians living from Iceland (or maybe Greenland) to China. It's likely that before even Constantine there were Christians in lands from India to Spain.

I'm not entirely satisfied with this post so I'll stop here and maybe reflect a bit.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:02 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
For many, it is all about fear of going to hell. It is no surprise what the fruit of being motivated by fear leads to.... very haughty, nasty and ugly attitudes and behavior.

For some, it is because they are drawn to the beauty of God's heavenly virtues... the glory of his love, peace, and mercy towards humanity in its weak condition and the need to believe that evil will not have the last word in human affairs.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:

You pretty much answer your own question as asked in the Thread Title. IF the religion is "right" then why would you NOT "want" to be a Christian. It should be nothing to do with "want". If you knew Christianity was right why would you "want" to not be a Christian or, worse, be in a different religion? Why would anyone "want" to be wrong?

The issue however is there is no reason to think any religion, let alone Christianity*** is right so in that light my answer to why would anyone "want" to be Christian is "I honestly do not know".

***(which Christianity by the way, you do know there is over 33000 different recognized incarnations of it all called "Christianity" but many with conflicting if not entirely irreconcilable beliefs right? I would be just as worried about which Christianity was the right one let alone whether Christianity is right at all if I were in your shoes. Thankfully I am not in those shoes.)

Old 09-06-2011, 05:31 AM

23 posts, read 39,855 times
Christianity is not a religon as man made religions go. It is about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The real question comes down to why anybody would not want to be?

An unsaved person goes to hell. Plus you are a tool of the devil while on earth, being manipulated and lied to. Why be a slave to sin? Why go to hell? You don't have to, God doesn't want for you to.

All religions are false. The devil is the "god" of this world. Why get entangled with that? There is no logic in not being a christian.

So it comes down to common sense. Do you want to belong to the devil or to God? You MUST belong to one or the other. You are the devil's by default. You must choose to turn towards Jesus. His blood will set you free.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherN79 View Post
Christianity is not a religon as man made religions go. It is about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The real question comes down to why anybody would not want to be?

An unsaved person goes to hell. Plus you are a tool of the devil while on earth, being manipulated and lied to. Why be a slave to sin? Why go to hell? You don't have to, God doesn't want for you to.

All religions are false. The devil is the "god" of this world. Why get entangled with that? There is no logic in not being a christian.

So it comes down to common sense. Do you want to belong to the devil or to God? You MUST belong to one or the other. You are the devil's by default. You must choose to turn towards Jesus. His blood will set you free.
Yes! Excellent!

All religions are indeed false, empty, and devoid of any meaning apart from God, who is the giver of meaning.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:

Why the need for religion, AT ALL?

Finally, if I were to see you today, unawares, could I tell that you are, in fact,,,a Christian?

And BTW, yes. I am a Christian, and these questions have permeated my mind as of late. In all facets. The past, present, and future.

To listen, is to learn. Whether it is truth, or a lie. But to 'hear' and 'see', that which the Spirit leads us to, is the springs of life.

So, on this day of labors, which some do celebrate, I thought I should ask myself what sets the Christian 'apart' from the world. If it even does......

Blessings to you and yours,,
Tony

I would say and have said the same thing in person in a church group where the leader posed this same question.

Since Jesus mingled with the folk that ended up causing himself to be accused of being one of them I have to wonder what kind of set apart mentality are we being asked to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity