Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 975 times

Advertisements

There are more churches than there are days in the year. Each one propagating a different view of what it means to be Christian and what the Bible says.

Any thoughts on why this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:14 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwjt View Post
There are more churches than there are days in the year. Each one propagating a different view of what it means to be Christian and what the Bible says.

Sure. The Church Jesus Christ established ceased to have leadership and authority once the Apostles were martyred, and the result was exactly what Paul predicted -- that Christ's followers would become like "children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive." Paul, in particular, and the other Apostles to some extent, prophesied of a "falling away" (or "apostasia") that was starting to take place, even in the earliest days of the Church. He said that there would come a time when the Church would "not endure sound doctrine" and that the wolves who would attack the Church after his own death would "not spare the flock." That Christianity survived at all, both the internal and external forces that were tearing it apart, is really pretty miraculous.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sure. The Church Jesus Christ established ceased to have leadership and authority once the Apostles were martyred, and the result was exactly what Paul predicted -- that Christ's followers would become like "children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive." Paul, in particular, and the other Apostles to some extent, prophesied of a "falling away" (or "apostasia") that was starting to take place, even in the earliest days of the Church. He said that there would come a time when the Church would "not endure sound doctrine" and that the wolves who would attack the Church after his own death would "not spare the flock." That Christianity survived at all, both the internal and external forces that were tearing it apart, is really pretty miraculous.
Yep, No right denomiation until the Mormon folk came along in the 19th century.

With that said 95% of all denominations agree on the core truths. They differ on such issues as style of Baptism, order of worship, style of worship, freewill or predestination, church government, color of the carpet and whether the pastor should wear a suit. That sorta thing.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,118,969 times
I agree with Katzpur.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yep, No right denomiation until the Mormon folk came along in the 19th century.
You know, you have a real probably with prejudice. I never even hinted at my religion in my post. I merely responded to the question that was posed in the OP. What is it with you, that you have to look for every conceivable opportunity to bash my religion? Is it just that undercutting my position is the only means you have of making yours look good? Do you honestly feel so threatened by 1/15th of 1% of the world's population that you simply cannot resist the urge to badmouth their beliefs every time you think you can get away with it? Seriously, you need to grow up and start behaving like the "real Christian" you claim to be. Jesus doesn't need you to lie, judge, or hate for Him.

Quote:
With that said 95% of all denominations agree on the core truths. They differ on such issues as style of Baptism, order of worship, style of worship, freewill or predestination, church government, color of the carpet and whether the pastor should wear a suit. That sorta thing.
And somehow you see the color of the carpet and the issue of freewill versus predestination as being roughly equivalent in terms of importance. Gotta love that logic.

Here are just a few of the legitimate doctrinal issues which divide Christianity today. They are among what you call the "core truths" you say 95% of all denominations agree on. I'm sure you know the "right" answer to each and every one of them, but I can guarantee you that 95% of all Christians would not agree with all of your answers.

Is the doctrine of the Trinity true?
Is Jesus really God?
What does it mean when we say the Father and the Son are "one"?
Does God have body parts and passions? What does he look like?
Where is Heaven? Is it a real place?
When did God create our Earth? How long did it take Him?
What was His purpose in creating us?
Where did we come from? Did we exist prior to birth?
Is baptism by water necessary?
If it is, how must it be performed? By immersion? By sprinkling? Does it even matter?
At what age should a person be baptized?
Who has the authority to baptize another person?
Who today holds the authority Christ gave His Apostles? A pope? A prophet? All believers?
How does one become born again? Is this necessary?
How does one receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost?
Do all Christians speak in tongues?
Are there miracles today?
Are we saved by grace alone?
Are we saved by faith alone?
Are we saved by works alone?
Or are we saved by a combination of all three of these?
Can one lose his salvation after having been saved?
Can one even speak of salvation in the present tense?
Who will go to Heaven?
Is Heaven a real place?
What is a "real" Christian?
Is there a real Hell? Is it really a fiery pit?
What is the fate of those who never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ?
What is the fate of otherwise decent people who are not Christian?
At what point is it too late to accept Christ?
Is deathbed repentance valid?
Is there a time after death when a person can repent?
Will there be a literal resurrection, i.e. a reunion of body and spirit?
What constitutes scripture?
Is the Bible infallible?
Was it written by God or by men?
What books should the Christian canon contain?
Can any books except the Bible be considered scripture?
Is Holy Tradition a reliable means of defining doctrine?
Is revelation to a living Prophet a reliable means of defining doctrine?
Are the sacraments essential or are they merely legalism?
Is the bread and wine really transformed into Christ's body and blood?
Is tithing still one of God's laws or was it rescinded at some point?
Should pastors be paid for their services?
When should we be worshipping -- on Saturday or Sunday?
Is divorce permitted? Under what conditions?
What should women's role in the Church be?

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-05-2011 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Christianity began dividing almost the moment it formed. Just the early churches that were considered gnostic or heretical makes for a very long list. In more recent times the Protestant denominations came into being and were originally considered heretical. The big explosion of denominations came in late1800s America with the nondenominational movement doing away with established church doctrine and a rapid growth of pentecostal, fundamental, free will, etc Churches resulting in over 26,000 denominations in the USA alone.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Default Denominations are closer than you may think

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwjt View Post

Yes, there are a number of denominations, as there have always been, but, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

No, most Protestant denominations do not propagate a different view of what it means to be a Christian or what the Bible says.

Almost all Protestant denominations agree 99% that "Christianity" is trusting one's life to Jesus Christ, being born again in the Holy Spirit and living in a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

What the Bible 'says' is likewise, not open to much discussion -- it's written in unchanging black and white for anyone to read. There are, however, a number of variations in what people believe the Bible 'means' in a number of doctrinal and ritual areas (eg; Baptism, Communion, Pre-Destination, etc). But, that is a healthy thing since it keeps believers digging deeper into the Bible to try to better understand God's truth.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,118,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Christianity began dividing almost the moment it formed. Just the early churches that were considered gnostic or heretical makes for a very long list. In more recent times the Protestant denominations came into being and were originally considered heretical. The big explosion of denominations came in late1800s America with the nondenominational movement doing away with established church doctrine and a rapid growth of pentecostal, fundamental, free will, etc Churches resulting in over 26,000 denominations in the USA alone.
With every new denomination, the Church of Jesus is polluted and distorted again and again.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Here are just a few of the legitimate doctrinal issues which divide Christianity today. They are among what you call the "core truths" you say 95% of all denominations agree on. I'm sure you know the "right" answer to each and every one of them, but I can guarantee you that 95% of all Christians would not agree with all of your answers.
I doubt there are any 2 denominations that would agree on more then 10% of the issues in your list.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Yes, there are a number of denominations, as there have always been, but, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Personally, I think it is a "bad thing." The reason I say that is that if two groups hold contradictory beliefs on any given issue, they can't both be correct. I can't imagine that God wouldn't at least prefer that we all believe what is true and have the correct understanding of how we view Him and what He expects of us. That said, I don't think that everybody who is "wrong" about certain doctrines is going to be condemned to eternal torment or anything like that. I definitely don't think that's how God works.

Quote:
Almost all Protestant denominations agree 99% that "Christianity" is trusting one's life to Jesus Christ, being born again in the Holy Spirit and living in a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
But maybe they're wrong. Many Christians (including the world's 1 billion Catholics) believe that salvation (or at least sanctification) is attained through a combination of both faith and works. Suppose those Christians are right and the ones who are teaching God couldn't care less about our good works are wrong? And what about the sacraments? You know, those rituals some people pooh-pooh as unnecessary legalism? What if those people are wrong, and the "sacraments" really are necessary?

Quote:
What the Bible 'says' is likewise, not open to much discussion -- it's written in unchanging black and white for anyone to read. There are, however, a number of variations in what people believe the Bible 'means' in a number of doctrinal and ritual areas (eg; Baptism, Communion, Pre-Destination, etc).
Yes, but understanding what the Bible "means" is what seems to be dividing us all.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-05-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity