Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times

Advertisements

Everyone in my church wears jeans, but not all churches are like that. It's legalistic to say you must wear x,y,z to church. Wear what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 AM

322 posts, read 316,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I dress up only cuz I am on the worship team. The congragation is causual as is the Pastor-he doesn't wear a tie. But the worship team is asked to not wear shorts or jeans. They ask that we wear dark clothes so as to not stand out. Kinda standard musician dress code.

IMO if your husband's church has the expectation to dress up then yes, do it.

Just sayin'. It's not about God. Just sayin'. Hey, use it as an excuse to buy some nice clothes.

Are you bothered by having to dress up for church to fit in? Neutral question. Personally i'd rather not cuz it is for people, not God.
With that said I'd be more than happy to dress up for God.
thank u for the response,

but i never dress up and i feel uncomfortable doing it because it isnt my nature.. i feel as if i have to change who i am and always have been.
i ask myself, why do i have to change to fit it to a church? god already knows me and how i am.. just because everyone else dresses up , why must i follow the crowd?

i pray about it and i know that clothes isnt even the issue anymore.
if people want to judge u they will judge u by what u wear, by how u look, by how much money u have , by everything,, but i know that god doesnt care about these things, and he is the only judge

have a great day
bless u.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
does it matter what you wear to church? what are your views?

i dont attend any particular church.. my heart is desperately searching for god but i havent found any particular religion that i feel is the "right one" ( for me- In my opinon- not bashing any particular religion.)

my husband however is part of a church that he has been attending since he was a small child. i decided to go with him last sunday and i dressed how i would normally dress any other day of the week.( a skirt knee length and a loose top- very simple, nothing dressy ) as we were leaving the house his mother asked if i was going to church and i said yes... she said... like that? i said this is how i dress every day.. monday- sunday why should i change how i dress to speak to god?
i didnt get it and it bothered me.. i didnt want t be part of somthing that judges you based on your clothes..

does it really matter what we wear? i wasnt wearing skippy tight revealing clothes.. i am not that type of person.

i just didnt get it.. i think our hearts are what matters.
what are your views?

thanks .
Come as you are. I can't picture Jesus wearing a suit and tie, can you? So long as you are covered in a decent manner, that is sufficient.

I honestly can't imagine going to a church where one's outer appearance is in focus, I mean really --- it seems that your mother in law is missing the point. BTW, when I'm in the shower, I feel free to talk to God without my clothes on. I hope others do too.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I dress up only cuz I am on the worship team. The congragation is causual as is the Pastor-he doesn't wear a tie. But the worship team is asked to not wear shorts or jeans. They ask that we wear dark clothes so as to not stand out. Kinda standard musician dress code..
This is clear! just an example.. supposing you are an altar server, you probably need to wear a white alb and a catholic priest needs to wear a chausuble and a stole of course.. that's the required vestment - dress code.. so to say. the same may apply to the worship team or choir as you mentioned, that it's better if each member wears the same elegant dark clothes or in other places white clothes, or uniforms... but as to the congregation, it is up to them..indeed.. there are people who insist on wearing a uniform when going shopping, so it is more than likely they'll also wear a unfirorm when going to church..

Old 09-11-2011, 01:07 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,046 times
I don't judge what others wear to church. However I like to dress up for church because to me I want to "give God my best". To me part of that is treating it like an important event - important enough for me to put on some of my nicer clothes. It has nothing to do with anyone else and what they wear.

Lately I have been going to a casual non-denominational church and everyone dresses the way they want. Some wear jeans, some wear dresses, some wear suits. I like that b/c it's up to the individual and how they feel and no one is judging anyone else. They are more focused on the message than what to wear. That's what church is supposed to be about! But I still like dressing up for it.

I wouldn't worry about what your mother-in-law says. She should just be happy you are attending!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:11 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
I wear normal stuff to church....same stuff I wear to work, I will wear it at church. Sometimes I wear dresses, sometimes jeans...sometimes skirts above my knee....people come to my church in all different clothing...i.e. nice suits and hats, blue jeans and tee shirts and everything in between. It's what's in your heart that matters most...don't worry about your MIL..tell her that her behavior can turn you off from God..I think many people don't even realize this is what they are doing. You have to reach people where they are.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
I believe some may feel the need to dress up to make themselves "presentable" to God. Not necessarily because the feel they have to, but because they want to. I also believe that God doesn't care about what you're wearing in the slightest. For quite a long time we had a homeless man come to our suburban parish on a regular basis. Definitely not "dressed for church"; but it felt good to see him there each Sunday.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
does it matter what you wear to church? what are your views?

i dont attend any particular church.. my heart is desperately searching for god but i havent found any particular religion that i feel is the "right one" ( for me- In my opinon- not bashing any particular religion.)

my husband however is part of a church that he has been attending since he was a small child. i decided to go with him last sunday and i dressed how i would normally dress any other day of the week.( a skirt knee length and a loose top- very simple, nothing dressy ) as we were leaving the house his mother asked if i was going to church and i said yes... she said... like that? i said this is how i dress every day.. monday- sunday why should i change how i dress to speak to god?
i didnt get it and it bothered me.. i didnt want t be part of somthing that judges you based on your clothes..

does it really matter what we wear? i wasnt wearing skippy tight revealing clothes.. i am not that type of person.

i just didnt get it.. i think our hearts are what matters.
what are your views?

thanks .
I don't see anything wrong with your outfit. I do believe we shouldn't wear anything distracting (short shorts, low-cut tops, etc.) b/c it could prevent fellow churchgoers from focusing on the sermon. But, of course, if a streetwalker walked in off the street for a revival meeting she shouldn't be turned away.

When I was little, our pastor had a saying, "Don't worry about cleaning up people before you bring them to church just like you wouldn't worry about cleaning a fish before reeling it in. Just invite them to church as they are and the Lord will take care of any cleaning that needs to take place."

Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
When i think of giving God my best, i think my attitude, my treatment of others, my striving to repent of my sinful nature, etc not buying the fanciest stuff off the racks to wear to church.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:35 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Wear whatever you're comfortable in. Just make sure it's composed of only one type of fabric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity