Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Judas, along with all other sinners, are in hell or on their way there.
Any “hell” that anyone will experience the Bible calls "kolasis aionion," (Matthew 25:46) which means age-during corrective chastisement.

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46
"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."

See what other Greek scholars say about it too.
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
Chapter Eleven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 01:53 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
The wording if you look at e-sword points to that man being Judas

Mat 26:24 TheG3588 SonG5207 of manG444 goeth as it is written of him:G846 but woe unto thatG1565 manG444 by whom theG3588 SonG5207 of manG444 is betrayed! it had been good for thatG1565 manG444 if he had not been born.

I believe that the same phrase is used for Judas { that man } whereas Jesus is referred to as the Son of man and him

But I do not see that this means that there is eternal torment or universal salvation or even annihilation.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:04 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Personally I do not believe in universal salvation at all so IF GOD judges that Judas be sent to hell imo he will live there in torment for all eternity.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Personally I do not believe in universal salvation at all so IF GOD judges that Judas be sent to hell imo he will live there in torment for all eternity.
Yeah, God had a purpose when He created evil and hell.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hi TKC,
I don't see it as suggesting Christ's death was an accident. However it may be possible it is wrong. For me, I don't concern myself with it too much - it is enough to know there are at least 2 alternative possibilities to the idea that the verse is suggesting Judas is in hell right now (something the verse doesn't even say). And these 2 alternatives don't contradict the idea that God will have all men to be saved (including Judas).
Yes... I agree. The first explanation never really satisfied me...I guess because Jesus seems to be talking about the woe of Judas' experience... so I just looked up similar phrases in the bible and saw that it the expected feeling one has when God is judging you or in Job's case, when God is testing you. That was good enough for me.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
The wording if you look at e-sword points to that man being Judas

Mat 26:24 TheG3588 SonG5207 of manG444 goeth as it is written of him:G846 but woe unto thatG1565 manG444 by whom theG3588 SonG5207 of manG444 is betrayed! it had been good for thatG1565 manG444 if he had not been born.

I believe that the same phrase is used for Judas { that man } whereas Jesus is referred to as the Son of man and him

But I do not see that this means that there is eternal torment or universal salvation or even annihilation.
I agree with this view. After seeing it in Young's Literal I felt it was referring to Judas. Whatever it means, tho, it cannot negate the statement which declares that God will be All in ALL, imho.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Default the purpose of "kolasis aionion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Like I posted on another thread, here is why I don't agree with you.

Any “hell” that anyone will experience the Bible calls "kolasis aionion," (Matthew 25:46) which means age-during corrective chastisement.

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46

"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."

See what other Greek scholars say about it too.
Chapter Eleven

Fifteen literally translated (not interpretively translated) Bibles that reveal what God will do with the sinners in Matthew 25:41&46
Concordant Literal, Young’s literal, Wilson’s Emphatic Diaglott, Rotherham’s Emphasized, Scarlett’s, J.W. Hanson’s New Covenant, Twentieth Century, Ferrar Fenton, The Western New Testament, Weymouth’s (unedited), Clementson’s, The New Testament of our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, Bullinger’s Companion Bible margins, Jonathan Mitchell’s translation (2010).
Literal translation – "age-during corrective chastisement"

Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM

Post My perception of God's purpose in creating evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yeah, God had a purpose when He created evil and hell.
My perception of God's purpose in creating evil:

I believe that God will eventually fit every individual into His master plan in a positive way that necessitates their unique temporary involvement in evil and suffering that will enable God to manifest, and glorify, and magnify the many facets of His character in a way that uniquely involves that person, and everyone else involved in that person’s life too.

Then, after God has finished using evil and suffering for the reasons why He allowed evil and suffering to temporarily exist, He will eradicate them from existence.

I love this exposition on the subject of the purpose of evil.
THE PURPOSE OF EVIL – A.P. Adams
evil.html

Old 09-09-2011, 06:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
It is quite obvious He is talking about himself in the third person because He refers to Himself as "the Son of Man" and "Him" in the first part of the verse.

Matt 26:24 The Son of Mankind is indeed going away, according as it is written concerning Him, yet woe to that man through whom the Son of Mankind is being given up! Ideal were it for Him if that man were not born!"

Jesus refers to Himself as "Son of Mankind" and "Him" instead of using "I" and "me".
The words "that man" refer to Judas.
Yes, 'that man' refers to Judas. That's what I said.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Roger, Finn capitalized "He", which would indicate he thinks the "he" is equivalent to Jesus. In other words, Finn is reading, "it would have been better if Jesus and not been born".
You KNOW you are being dishonest here.

If you read my comments in this thread you KNOW I have said all along that Jesus said it would have been better if JUDAS had neven been born.

Drop the games, and drop the lies. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity