Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 AM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Think about that for a second. None of them could have known the truth about gospel, because Jesus was still in the process of teaching it.
The truth about the good news,the glad tidings ,the peace on earth to all men bit ?,or the truth about hell existing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
So-called ET believers also desire that all would come to a saving knowledge of Christ. This is the heart's desire of the believer.

If we have come to know Christ through God's grace (alone), knowing that we had nothing to do with our salvation, that it was all of God; then we wholeheartedly share the Gospel with our fellow-man, as God has commanded us to do, praying that God might show mercy to that person, as well.
You would hope so. In saying that the message is about life(Jesus Christ),and not be saved from hell.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,381,890 times
Quote:
This is the heartbreaking reality. The strong suggestion here is that it really doesn't matter (according to much of what has been shared in this thread/forum).

The fact of God's grace and love and mercy, etc...is indisputable. But we must consider everything the Bible has to say on the matter.

The command to repent and believe the Gospel is indispensible. To suggest that those who die in unbelief will still be saved is impossible to substantiate by the Scriptures.

In this forum our UR friends will often appeal to the Scriptures. But the doctrine presented is very similar to that which rank unbelievers will also embrace I often hear from non Bible-believing people the same thing about how God is so loving that He would never condemn anyone. I am told that "He loves too much". (I've even been told here that Satan will eventually become saved).

But it does make an easy way for people to continue in rampant sin without even once considering God in any of it. They can live a sinful lifestyle, not even consider the consequences, and still somehow come out fine in the end with God, without ever having come to Christ.

Now this is being said of rank unbelievers. But their ideology is not terribly different from what we are hearing here from UR representatives.

We (all) must remember James 3:1:

3:1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

We must do as the Bereans and "search the Scriptures daily" to see whether these things are so.
Great post and spot on.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:19 AM

76,964 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The truth about the good news,the glad tidings ,the peace on earth to all men bit ?,or the truth about hell existing?
You find the concept of the WHOLE TRUTH confusing? Don't you ever wonder why you have never seen an unbeliever become a universalist? Well, it is because only the truth can set you free, and ur is not the truth, and therefore powerless to set anyne free.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
No, it is certainly not what I said, and you know it. Let's be honest here. Read my post again.
Finn you believe hell is truth from the bible,and because those who do not believe it to be so,are not telling the truth,this is what you meant when you said "the truth will set you free". Jesus Christ said he is the truth,so it,s he that sets you free,and not a belief about whether heaven or hell exists.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I tremble to think about it. It reminds me too much of when Satan said to Eve in the Garden of Eden, "...hath God said...?"

Sometimes it doesn't take much arm-twisting to get someone to go the way of sin.

On the other hand, we have Christ...who, when Satan tried to tempt Him, appealed to the Scriptures, "It is written...". This must be our example, indeed.
Indeed.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Finn you believe hell is truth from the bible,and because those who do not believe it to be so,are not telling the truth,this is what you meant when you said "the truth will set you free". Jesus Christ said he is the truth,so it,s he that sets you free,and not a belief about whether heaven or hell exists.
Well, you have chosen to put words in my mouth with every post you make, and I don't think you are even reading what I write, so there is no point in going on with this.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You find the concept of the WHOLE TRUTH confusing? Don't you ever wonder why you have never seen an unbeliever become a universalist? Well, it is because only the truth can set you free, and ur is not the truth, and therefore powerless to set anyne free.
Since when as it been about becoming anything other than knowing Jesus Christ?. It's Jesus Christ who sets a man free,belief in eternal torment or universal reconciliation doesn't set a man free,but belief in either will mostly definitely shape how we see.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,475,192 times
Quote:
No, it is not the preaching of hell, it is the fact that THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE. Unbelivers never become universalists, because it is not the truth, and therefore utterly powerless to set anyone free.
There is no Universalist religion, Finn. Universalism is a belief of Christianity. The guy in church next to you could be of a universalism mindset. So what you are saying makes no sense.

How many unbelievers believed because God's love was shown to them by a Christian? That is universalism doctrine at work.

How many unbelievers believed because they were afraid of hell? That is eternal torment doctrine at work.

Even ETers preach god is love at first because that DOES cause positive change in people. Eternal torment is what is preached to believers to keep them in line.

See the difference?

UR brings about the positive change then ET is preached to those who already believe bringing fear and doubt of a loving god.

You can't believe god will send you to hell unless you first believe in god and hell....

Old 09-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Well, you have chosen to put words in my mouth with every post you make, and I don't think you are even reading what I write, so there is no point in going on with this.
Do you believe the teaching of eternal torment is truth or not ?,it's a simple question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity