Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,470,104 times

Advertisements

I suppose things like reflection, prayer, and connecting to those who have faith can be a component. Looking inside yourself for what is maybe an impediment or outside for examples. Also I tended to think faith is something in your heart and head. The confidence/trust in God or your beliefs and the emotional connection or love or what have you. Possibly the "reflecting and connecting" expresses that idea as that would involving thinking and feeling. Or maybe I'm just saying romantic sounding frippery.

For me, and this might sound strange, but one thing that harmed my faith at times is also what helped it. That being reading books by people of other faiths, and of no faith, and discussing religion with them. In a period where my faith felt pretty "turned off" in me I would say things like "I don't know that I believe in this these days, but what the faith actually teaches is..." And in time I found that the arguments for it still made sense for me more than not.

I don't know you though or know for certain what would work for you or what your stumblings might be on faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,980,955 times
For me, my faith increases as I meditate on the things that are good, lovely and true. I meditate on the love of God, the meaning of the cross, the glory of God's virtues. This never fails to build up my faith. It is of great importance where our minds are focused.

Peace -
Heartsong

Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,894,617 times
Experience adversity and suffering on a level that you never knew possible and finding yourself alone and without hope. . . . . .

and at that point, when you have nothing to cling to aside from faith and it is that faith that offers the only chance of bringing you through to the other side, you will find yourself increasing your faith when there is nothing else left.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 AM

889 posts, read 819,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well, you could try abandoning logic, reason and common sense.
Something you clearly have done.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:25 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,381,890 times
The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" Luke 17:15

Pray

Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
anyone have advice?
personal experiences?

i want more faith
By keeping in the word and the Lord's supper (communion):

The word:
  • John 15:5

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
    • Matthew 13:23
      But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”
    • John 6:45
      It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.
The sacrament:
John 15:5

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing
  • John 6:56
    Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.
"eats my flesh" John 6:56 ... how is this done?
Matthew 26:26
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

"drinks my blood " John 6:56 ... how is this done?
Matthew 26:28
Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,860,296 times
Quote:
anyone have advice?
personal experiences?

i want more faith

If you want more faith, read everything in the Bible that Jesus said. Because, that's where faith comes from.

Romans 10:17
"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God"

Bud

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,426,140 times
Quote:
anyone have advice?
personal experiences?

i want more faith
Are you involved in a church family or even go to church? If not then you are saying "I want to be more educated" and then don't go to school.

I guess you can read the bible and pray by yourself but you wouldn't have others to help you continue or to give you examples of how to practice your faith. People are not meant to exist by themselves. We are social beings and we learn from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity