Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The crux of the matter to me is if a Mormon believes that Jesus Christ is their Saviour.
And Mormons all definitely believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior. That I can say with 100% assurance. Our Church bears His name and each one of us is committed to following Him to the best of our ability. We know that it is only through Him that we can be reconciled to our Father in Heaven.

Okay, I believe I have answered everybody's questions. If I haven't, please let me know. It has never been my intent to try to convert anyone to my way of thinking, but I do hope that I've cleared up some misconceptions.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-24-2011 at 07:44 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, there is only one God, and the Bible is very clear about it. Anyone who claims the Bible teaches multiple gods is not being honest.
If we are to be One with God and there is only One God, then "YE ARE GODS"

Are we Yahweh? Does one lose His/Her unique spirit?

Is Jesus discernible in the heavens from God Almighty?

If He called us gods, to whom the word of God came, then what does God call us?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
According to Finn's source...
Many falsely accuse others, professing themselves to be wise.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
I think I'm going to start in with comments on Finn's list of supposed Mormon teachings as enumerated in Post #36, two or three at a time.

God used to be a man on another planet, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333).

My response...

The statement "God used to be a man on another planet" is somebody attempt to paraphrase certain statements made by some of the early LDS Church leadership. Funny how no actual quotes were provided, only books and page numbers. If someone would care to take the time to post the actual quotes, I'd be happy to respond to them, but I can pretty much guarantee that none of them will say, "God used to be a man on another planet."

"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s..." (D&C 130:22).

My response...

That is an accurate statement. It is one of the few statements in the list for which an actual quote is given and the quote is from the Doctrine and Covenants, one of our "Standard Works."

God is in the form of a man, (Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3).

My response...

This seems basically to be saying the same thing as what is stated in the Doctrine and Covenants.
You disagree with these sources?

the Mormon Church teaches that God the Father was once a man like us who progressed to become a God and has a body of flesh and bone (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!" from Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-347; Gospel Principles, p. 9; Articles of Faith, p. 430; Mormon Doctrine, p. 321). Indeed, the Mormon Church teaches that God himself has a father, and a grandfather, ad infinitum (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 373; Mormon Doctrine, p. 577).

Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345-347, 354.)

My response...

This is another attempt at paraphrasing Joseph Smith, and a pretty poor one at that. For the record, we believe that all human beings have been given the potential to attain exaltation, not just Mormons. As C.S. Lewis said, "The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for."

"Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them," (D&C 132:20).

My response...

This is taken directly from the Doctrine and Covenants and is therefore a doctrinally binding statement.
It sounds like first you reject it, because you don't like the source, and then you admit it is true because you like the source.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
It sounds like first you reject it, because you don't like the source, and then you admit it is true because you like the source.
Looks like you are ignoring questions?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post

He calls us mankind, created to His image, but not created to be Gods.

So God created mankind, in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Looks like you are ignoring questions?
There was no question in Katzpurs post.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
You disagree with these sources?

the Mormon Church teaches that God the Father was once a man like us who progressed to become a God and has a body of flesh and bone (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!" from Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-347; Gospel Principles, p. 9; Articles of Faith, p. 430; Mormon Doctrine, p. 321). Indeed, the Mormon Church teaches that God himself has a father, and a grandfather, ad infinitum (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 373; Mormon Doctrine, p. 577).
Finn, you started this thread with the following statement:

Quote:
I open this thread to educate us about Mormonism. It is not an attack against Mormon beliefs, and Katzpur, who is a Mormon, has agreed to explain the beliefs of Mormonism.
I've answered the statements you have posted in boldface type already. 34 of the 100 posts on this thread have been mine, and they've all addressed essentially the same arguments. With respect to the boldface statements specifically, if you want to go to the trouble of finding the exact quotes instead of just your source's paraphrasing of them, I will go to the trouble of responding. At this point, it's starting to look to me as if you're not really putting much effort into understanding Mormon doctrine. You're just trying to pick it apart. I know very well that I am a competent writer. I also know my religion. If you don't understand what I've said, it's not that I haven't explained it well. If you have any questions on other topics, please feel free to ask them. I believe we've exhausted this one. As for your source material, I guess maybe it's time for me to re-post this:

In a 2007 statement issued by the Church, the following guidelines were given as to what constitutes LDS doctrine:

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

Some doctrines are more important than others and might be considered core doctrines. For example, the precise location of the Garden of Eden is far less important than doctrine about Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. The mistake that public commentators often make is taking an obscure teaching that is peripheral to the Church’s purpose and placing it at the very center. This is especially common among reporters or researchers who rely on how other Christians interpret Latter-day Saint doctrine.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-25-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Isiah 43:10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the Lord, “And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, and there will be none after Me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity