Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Oh, there are countless stories from the perspective of Christianity that can give people the same impression.

However I believe this thread is about the proof that the core teachings of the LDS church are what the critics claim, so far there is no evidence of that to any large degree and your personal experiences with an individual church or how individuals go about trying to convince others is beside the point.

We can argue method and individual character but you'd find the same problems in every sect of humanity, religions are not exempt from being full of fools.
You have used tactics best described as
S. [hift the subject]
I. [gnore the facts]
N. [ame others as "they do the same", so as to obfuscate]. -with my compliments to Hermain Cain

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Unfortunately Mormons do NOT believe in the same Jesus the Christ who is God's ONLY BEGOTTTEN (NOT MADE) Son.

Mormons follow a totally different Jesus than true CHRISTians.

Do not add to His words,or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Proverbs 30:6
Yes this is the unfortunate aspect of it all, "Mormons follow a totally different Jesus than true CHRISTians."
The very plan which is ascribed from Lucifer in Mormonism is the one that Jesus did that God revealed in the Bible.

God's command is to "be" perfect..
Mormonism has a person "becoming" perfect via free agency, proving worthiness with progression.

Christianity has Jesus as their 100% subsitute
.Mormonism has Jesus as their example (two very different concepts and views)

This from Katzpur substantiates that Mormons believe in a different Jesus than true CHRISTians
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by katzpur
    Most Christians also use the words “co-equal” and “co-eternal” to describe the relationship between the Father and the Son. We do not.
True CHRISTians believe this about forgiveness:
  • Forgiveness is unconditional from God
  • We have immediate assuredness of forgiveness
Mormonism believe this about forgiveness
"Heavenly Father has promised forgiveness upon total repentance and meeting all the requirements but that forgiveness is not granted merely for the asking.
There must be works - many works - and an all-out, total surrender, with a great humility and "a broken heart and a contrite spirit."
It depends upon you whether or not you are forgiven, and when.
It could be weeks, it could be years, it could be centuries before that happy day when you have the positive assurance that the Lord has forgiven you.
That depends on your humility, your sincerity, your works, your attitudes."
Spencer Kimbal...the Miracle of forgiveness pp 324-325
Mormonism has forgiveness as:
  • conditional
    • but that forgiveness is not granted merely for the asking.
    • There must be works - many works - and an all-out, total surrender, with a great humility and "a broken heart and a contrite spirit."
    • It depends upon you whether or not you are forgiven, and when.
  • assuredness not immediate
    • It could be weeks,
    • it could be years,
    • it could be centuries
    • ........ before that happy day when you have the positive assurance that the Lord has forgiven you.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
This is all good and fine but when one states that everyone else is basically an idiot when it comes to mormon theology such I feel you have done here, it tends to drive folks away. This is why i am very straightforward with what I believe. Others have the right to agree or disagree with it just as they have the same rights after considering your statements.

Like I said earlier, it may sound like I dislike mormons when in actuality I do. I care for them very much. Matter of fact, I have quite a number of former family members and friends who are very dear to me and vice versa. The only uncommon denominator is our spiritual beliefs. Other than that, we get along very well.

I have pointed out that those who say Mormon beliefs are wrong don't know what they are talking about, I see no evidence to the contrary. That is not calling someone an idiot, so please do imply things that cause it to appear that you carry a double standard about your morals when you speak.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
When I discuss mormon beliefs with mormons, I am not sure I am getting the "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".
Can you give me one good reason why I would lie to you, Finn? Why would I tell you we believe one thing when we really believe something else? Tell me right now whether you believe what I've said so far in this thread. If you do, I'll continue this conversation. If you think I'm not telling you the truth, say so. If that's the case, though, there is no reason for me to continue posting. It's a waste of my time for me to spend a couple of hours a day answering questions if you think I'm being dishonest.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
It seems rather clear that the mormon church has stepped in to decide what is "doctrine" and what is not..."
Brilliant observation, Finn. And who, exactly do you believe has the right to decide what's LDS doctrine and what isn't, if not the LDS Church?

Maybe I should take a few minutes and explain exactly how a teaching comes to be "official doctrine." There is a process, a very clear process, by which that happens. Of course, you will probably think I'm lying about that, too.

Well, that's my last post for the next seven hours. If this thread is still open when I get back, I'll get to this issue and your question about Jesus and Lucifer being brothers then.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
When I discuss mormon beliefs with mormons, I am not sure I am getting the "truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".
Moderator cut: Orphaned: reference to moderator actions.
No, you will not get "the truth" because it is always "changing" in Mormonism, which is a documented fact. You will get "feelings", only.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-26-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
"They" is a generalized accusation of some unknown someones somewhere and is obfuscation and is purposeful, so as to distract from the points under discussion. Pointing fingers outward at some unnamed unknowns is not good debating, but a tactic to turn the conversation away from the point, so as to hide the truth.
And again you are making this about me instead of quoting me and addressing my points. I elaborated in the comment where I did that, quote the whole thing and take me to task on it. I will demonstrate to you that it was not an attempt that you accuse me of.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,089 times
It is comforting as a CHRISTian to know that my God is unchanging, and I can put my total trust in Him for my life and salvation.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Yes this is the unfortunate aspect of it all, "Mormons follow a totally different Jesus than true CHRISTians."
The very plan which is ascribed from Lucifer in Mormonism is the one that Jesus did that God revealed in the Bible.
The real question then is what must a person believe about Jesus to be saved?

Are all the crumbs of theology important or is placing your faith in the Son of God, Jesus Christ of the Holy Bible, the larger truth to be seen?

I am not seeing the evidence that the core truth is any different. Mormons refer to Jesus in the holy Bible and declare their statement of belief that trust in Jesus as Saviour, does save.

That core teaching is the more important thing to see.

I disagree with Twin on Many levels, however Jesus Christ is my Saviour and I trust in Jesus to save me. I don't believe in a "Different" Jesus simply because Twin declares me in error about other things concerning Jesus.
Will Jesus not save me because I do not agree with Twin? LOL

Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Moderator cut: warning

Guys this is a warning to please stay on topic..and remember that you are welcome to begin other topics on your sidebars and individual posts which were deleted here so long as it is within the rules of the TOS..

Thank you all for staying on topic from here on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity