U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,202,500 times

Advertisements

One of the members of this forum suggested this idea to me, unintentionally i'm sure, in one of my other recent threads which can be found here ...

The whole idea that "its better to be safe than sorry" ...

The OP of this thread is - ""Quotes" from Christians across the web concerning hell and eternal torture ..."

When i mentioned in my other thread that many Christians use the threat of hell and everlasting torture(also known as Pascal's Wager) as an argument to try and persuade others to believe the same way that they do or as an argument for why they themselves believe, i was met with much denial of this tactic by quite a few Christians forum members here on City-Data. So that is what this thread is for, providing quotes from Christians around the internet using this fear tactic and wager to try and persuade others into submitting to their beliefs.

I would like to see as many actual uses of or references to pascals wager in specific if possible, but any use of the threat of Eternal Torture or Hell still applies ...

Now this thread is not about attacking the people who we are quoting, it is only about providing evidence of the tactics used by so many Christians around the world over the last 2000 years. So don't be afraid to quote statements of Christians from every century and part of the world that you can think of, just please be sure that the quotes come with English translations if they are in different languages ...

This thread is a project that i hope will develop more significance over time, a thread where we can direct any Christians who deny the use of hell and eternal torments as threats that are used by Christians to persuade others to believe the way that they do.

Lets try not to let petty bickering take this thread off of course, that is a sure way thrat some will attempt to have this thread closed down as fast as they can. Just stick to the OP and gather as many quotes as possible, im really quite curious to see all the things that people will post in answer to this challenge.

Peace!

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 09-27-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Okay i guess ill get this ball rolling ... One of my all time favorite turn or burn sermons ... I present to you -

"Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"

Part1!

[1/2]

Part2!

[2/2]

Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM

30,222 posts, read 19,991,820 times
HELL - What if I don't believe in Hell?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,752,545 times
Well I have direct quotes from my own father concerning "turn or burn".......

You are going to hell. (this was an all-time favorite thing for him to say no matter what the circumstances)
If you don't start believing and acting like I do, you're going to hell.
You are a disgrace, God is going to punish you for all of eternity. Do you want that to happen? You'd better listen to ME and do exactly what I say or you're going to hell.

That's all I can think of right now but you get the gist. I'll be on the lookout for some more internet quotes. Nice thread!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,685,493 times
So, if you do not believe in God before you die, no one will be sorry?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
So, if you do not believe in God before you die, no one will be sorry?
Maybe you're posting in the wrong thread? The OP of this thread is -

""Quotes" from Christians across the web concerning hell and eternal torture ... "

Do you have any you would like to post?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM

15,040 posts, read 7,546,690 times
Just read something that sounded a great deal like Pascal's wager to me on a thread here:

Quote:
If you have no belief in the God of the Bible then you don't need Faith, because your life's concern is NOT pleasing the God of the Bible. It is pleasing yourself and others...That being said, go eat, drink, and be merry. Who cares what believers of the bible think...if you are no believer...right?

That is unless of course you are unsure that you are right and you are arguing seeking some form of justification for your life... In which case...I hate to inform you...no matter what YOU MUST MAKE A CHOICE...either you do or DO NOT believe. Live life believing what you will....but what if you're wrong? If MIKE555 is wrong it means nothing...nothing happens...But if YOU are wrong......ouch...

Which was apparently written to support Mike555's original premise in the thread:

Quote:
The word destroy is Apollumi and does not mean cessation of existence, but rather it carries the meaning of utter ruination and eternal uselessness. It is used by Jesus in Matt 10:24 to describe the condition of the unbeliever in the lake of fire. Eternal torment in utter ruin and uselessness, and hopelessness. That is what awaits those who depart from this life without having accepted God's offer of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
Tartarus, Sheol/Hades, and Gehenna

Better convince yourself to believe because just in case you're wrong, "ouch".

Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM

58,519 posts, read 31,902,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
One of the members of this forum suggested this idea to me, unintentionally i'm sure, in one of my other recent threads which can be found here ...

The whole idea that "its better to be safe than sorry" ...

The OP of this thread is - ""Quotes" from Christians across the web concerning hell and eternal torture ..."

When i mentioned in my other thread that many Christians use the threat of hell and everlasting torture(also known as Pascal's Wager) as an argument to try and persuade others to believe the same way that they do or as an argument for why they themselves believe, i was met with much denial of this tactic by quite a few Christians forum members here on City-Data. So that is what this thread is for, providing quotes from Christians around the internet using this fear tactic and wager to try and persuade others into submitting to their beliefs.

I would like to see as many actual uses of or references to pascals wager in specific if possible, but any use of the threat of Eternal Torture or Hell still applies ...

Now this thread is not about attacking the people who we are quoting, it is only about providing evidence of the tactics used by so many Christians around the world over the last 2000 years. So don't be afraid to quote statements of Christians from every century and part of the world that you can think of, just please be sure that the quotes come with English translations if they are in different languages ...

This thread is a project that i hope will develop more significance over time, a thread where we can direct any Christians who deny the use of hell and eternal torments as threats that are used by Christians to persuade others to believe the way that they do.

Lets try not to let petty bickering take this thread off of course, that is a sure way thrat some will attempt to have this thread closed down as fast as they can. Just stick to the OP and gather as many quotes as possible, im really quite curious to see all the things that people will post in answer to this challenge.

Peace!
Pacals wager is not about hell, it is about whether or not God exists. Your statements about the other thread are also inaccurate. Your claim there was that people believe in God "just in case", or "just to have insurance" and you were corrected about that claim.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Pacals wager is not about hell, it is about whether or not God exists. Your statements about the other thread are also inaccurate. Your claim there was that people believe in God "just in case", or "just to have insurance" and you were corrected about that claim.
You were also corrected about the total point of pascals wager. There is no "Wager" if the "you'll be sorry" implication of Pascals wager is not there.

You were also corrected concerning how Christians can present what they believe the gospel to be. You most likely are ignorant of fundamental Christian theology that believing in Jesus saved a person from eternal separation from God.

Your argument about people talking about Hell is refuted simply because you cannot deny that if someone doesn't believe what you think the bible says when they die, they will be eternally separated from God. The majority call that hell, you may not, but that is irrelevant.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Maybe you're posting in the wrong thread? The OP of this thread is -

""Quotes" from Christians across the web concerning hell and eternal torture ... "

Do you have any you would like to post?

Oh you mean like when someone says what I believe is leading people to hell? Or that when I die I will find out what will happen and it won't be pretty?

Things like that? Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 09-29-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or