Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Um, where did you get your faith?
Illene I have already answered that one, I'm wondering where Katie gets her works from ?,considering she's so big on them.

That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. Philemon 1:6

This scripture gives a tremendous explanation on how living faith works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 PM

531 posts, read 477,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Atomkirk

Faith in His grace will change a man, it's not a hard concept. It is God who works in us both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
To be quite frank the question of good works should be posed to ourselves and not others,do we really have complete faith in his grace that it's evident in our own lives, if it's not, it's only a matter of refocusing what our faith is in,and not beating ourselves or others up because they are not too.
Aw-ight... Here's the deal. I was brought up in the church. When I went to college and for several years afterward, I did nothing. No worship. No service. Nothing. Indidnt even go to class that often. And during that time, if someone asked, I told them I was a Christian. I believed in God. I believed in Jesus. All of it. I just didn't live it. I wanted the privileges of membership without keeping my dues up, so to speak. I had no works.

According to the scriptures I had a dead faith.

Not everyone who says to me lord, lord will enter the kingdom of Heaven. But he that does the will of my father whomis in heaven.

Anyone reading this care tonait they'd like to have been living my life during my college years and traded places with me in the highway wrecking had, only this time, you died? Anyone feel comfortable going before God in that state of living? If you can say yes, you're either braver or more foolish than I.

We must have faith. True. And when our faith is new, typically it is very zealous. But when our faith gets tested in the fire. We get refined as silver is(psalms 66). Not all faiths can stand the fire. And some Christians i know, sit in pews. I used to be one.

I know it's not a difficult concept. But it's a serious one. I don't ever want to be the person I was in and after college. I left my first love.

Getting back to the original question. Faith only? Nope. There's more Timor than that.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
THE FAITHFULNESS OF CHRIST
For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak, and Samson, and Jephthah, also of David, and Samuel, and the prophets: who through FAITH subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to fight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to life again. Others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection. Still others had trials of mocking and scourging, yes, even chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, cut in two, were tempted and slain with the sword. They wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented — of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains, in dens and caves of the earth. And all these, having obtained a good testimony through FAITH, did not receive the promise; the SPIRIT having provided something better … What more shall I say?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I asked pcamps this same question. How did you get faith?
It was not from the perceptions of others; but that of internally knowing, by and through the Spirit of Christ.

Last edited by Jerwade; 10-06-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
I"m not waiting for someone else to do good works to get me in Heaven. That's not happening.
All will eventually come to the full knowledge of truth; not that of only a few, by and through their own faith and works.

"He came to seek and save, that which was lost."

Last edited by Jerwade; 10-06-2011 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 AM

9,653 posts, read 1,171,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The verse I quoted should suffice for those who have eyes to SEE,where do you think Abraham got his faith? From a King James ?

I have faith in the Light of the world, this same Light of the world lit up my heart to reveal God's glory.....Jesus Christ.This my friend is how Jesus Christ the Light of the world brought me to faith. I understand this is hard for you to understand because it does not fit with your criteria of faith.
I just remembered why I stopped posting you a while back. When you told everyone on the forum that you had changed, I believed you and was thankful to God for it. But I see that nothing has changed, so I won't be posting you any longer. If you have no respect for the word of God, then we have nothing in common.

Katie

Old 10-07-2011, 07:37 AM

76,961 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I just remembered why I stopped posting you a while back. When you told everyone on the forum that you had changed, I believed you and was thankful to God for it. But I see that nothing has changed, so I won't be posting you any longer. If you have no respect for the word of God, then we have nothing in common.

Katie
It is a little strange to see people like pcamps spending half their time discrediting the Bible, and the other half quoting from it. Go figure....

Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Please stick to the thread topic

give an example of someone saved by faith alone

thanks,

the op'er

Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a little strange to see people like pcamps spending half their time discrediting the Bible, and the other half quoting from it. Go figure....
Amen Finn!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Finn, I'm trying to understand something.

I've been reading some articles about faith alone. I'm realizing there are a number of views on this topic. Some believe that faith alone applies only to initial salvation but you need works after initial salvation to be saved in the long run. Others say no works at anytime save. So there is division in the camp.

What about you? Where do you stand in this?

And is it possible to have a faith (other than a dead faith) that doesn't manifest itself in some way?

Thanks,

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity