U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2011, 05:39 PM

18,894 posts, read 8,663,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I just remembered why I stopped posting you a while back. When you told everyone on the forum that you had changed, I believed you and was thankful to God for it. But I see that nothing has changed, so I won't be posting you any longer. If you have no respect for the word of God, then we have nothing in common.

Katie
Never once said on this forum as a confession that I have changed in the way you are saying,the big changes in my life over the years are the way I think,which involved being set free in my mind from the teachings of fundamental Christianity,that turned me into a bigger devil than I ever was before Christ made himself known to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 PM

2,637 posts, read 972,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, he did do something. He asked to be saved. He said: We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

and for that Jesus said: “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Maybe I am beginning to understand what you mean by 'works'.
Maybe I am wrong in using the word works.
These things that people do are manifestations of their faith.
For this reason, I don't think the term "faith alone" is correct. Faith is always accompanied by some kind of action. That's how I see it anyway.

I just realized something. The word "works" irritates you as much as the phrase "faith alone" irritates me.

Katie

Old 10-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was good enough for Jesus.
Finn, Just so you know.... I know you believe that the Bible is the word of God, and that it is unerring. You have never given me reason to think different.

Katie

Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What I do not have respect for,is your interpretation of the scriptures,you are not the authority on who is and who is not a believer based on your engrained indoctrination of the scriptures.

Could you tell me why you're at it where you got your works from.
Just so you know, I have put you on my block list. You will be wasting your time posting me because I won't be reading anything you write. I don't wish to "argue" with anyone on the forum. I'm here to debate the scriptures.

I wish you the very best your search for truth.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 10-07-2011, 05:55 PM

34,182 posts, read 11,482,913 times
Quote:
Maybe I am wrong in using the word works.
These things that people do are manifestations of their faith.
That is what I have been trying to say.

Quote:
For this reason, I don't think the term "faith alone" is correct. Faith is always accompanied by some kind of action. That's how I see it anyway.

I just realized something. The word "works" irritates you as much as the phrase "faith alone" irritates me.

Katie
No, it does not irritate me, I just disagree that works are a requirement for salvation. Works are manifestations of their faith, - like you said.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Abraham had the Old Testament as "Word" in his time.

Jesus calls himself "Word".

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

8Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, 9for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained. 10Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. (2 Timothy 2:8-10)

And how did Jesus rebuke the devil while he was being tested in the wilderness? Jesus said, "It is written..."

And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)

I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word. Psalm 119:25
No Saved. Abraham didn't have the OT. Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, and Moses comes after Abraham and the law of Moses.

Kate

Old 10-07-2011, 06:00 PM

1,897 posts, read 977,423 times
Quote:
Just so you know, I have put you on my block list. You will be wasting your time posting me because I won't be reading anything you write. I don't wish to "argue" with anyone on the forum. I'm here to debate the scriptures.

Blessings,

Katie
A definition of debate is "to engage in argument or discussion," so it's really the same thing. Are you sure you want to debate scriptures? It seems more like you are just interested in promoting your point of view.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:02 PM

FINN

I am reposting this for you. I responded to your post and would like an answer if you would please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
The works you do after you have been saved do not make you any more saved. When you are saved, you are saved.
Again, you are not saved through works, but FOR WORKS.
Christ plants the seed in your heart, and you can either embrace it, or shut it out. When God knocks on the door of your heart, aka calls you, the seed has already been planted. If you open the door and allow Him in to save you, you will be saved, and the Spirit will enter you. From this point on, the seed in your heart will begin to grow if you will allow it. You need to water it and nurture it, and it will grow like a plant, but if you do not water it, it will stay small.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************

Okay, you said Christ plants the seed in your heart. He knocks on the door of your heart. Do you have a scripture to support this? Are you saying that this happens apart from the word of God? That it happens miraculously? And to whom does this happen? Everyone?

Romans 10:17 says faith comes by hearing the word of God. But you are saying it is apart from the word. I don't understand this. Isn't that a contradiction? Is there any place in the scriptures that tell us how we get faith other than by hearing the word of God? If faith comes in any other way, then why do we need preachers? If I've missed some scripture that tells us how we get faith, then please point it out to me.

JAA gave a scripture from 2 Corinthians, but I don't see where it says we get faith miraculously apart from the word.

I know I asked you a lot of questions here. I am sincerely trying to understand. I'm not looking for an "I gotcha."

Katie

Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM

18,894 posts, read 8,663,827 times
Quote:

Blessings,

Katie
You mean you are not willing to debate anyone who will not accept your beliefs,and who points out all the holes in what you try to Impose on us what you think is truth from the scriptures.If you're not willing to have what you believe challenged,you need to open up a little.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 PM

34,182 posts, read 11,482,913 times
Quote:
Okay, you said Christ plants the seed in your heart. He knocks on the door of your heart. Do you have a scripture to support this? Are you saying that this happens apart from the word of God? That it happens miraculously? And to whom does this happen? Everyone? Romans 10:17 says faith comes by hearing the word of God. But you are saying it is apart from the word. I don't understand this.
I did answer it by referring Romans 1:20 which says man is without an excuse, as the evidence of God's existence it clearly seen in His creation. To me that means the seed is planted in everyone, but in many cases the seed does not take root. I quoted the parable of the seed for you, didn't I? I don't think I ever said you can "get faith" from different sources, but I do believe the seed is planted, which leads to people seeking the truth, which is the word of God.

I believe the there is only one truth, the word of God, and if anyone argues they receive spiritual information from other sources, which is not in sync with the Bible, then I'd say they are making it up. I have asked all universalists here to mention one spiritual truth they have received from elswhere which is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, but cannot be found in the Bible, but every single UR have declined to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity