Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 PM

9,651 posts, read 1,171,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Perhaps this explanation might give you some enlightenment.

Not by Faith Alone: The Martin Luther Paradox
I don't normally read articles that people post because they are just more of mens' opinions. But I thought this one sounded interesting. I'm sorry to say the article is saying the same old thing but in a new and clever way. It is saying salvation first followed by works. None of the Bible stories support this view.

This is why I keep asking people to give an example of someone who was saved by faith alone. Every story I read of people being saved/justified/forgiven, their faith is always acccompanied by action prior to salvation.

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,912,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I don't normally read articles that people post because they are just more of mens' opinions. But I thought this one sounded interesting. I'm sorry to say the article is saying the same old thing but in a new and clever way. It is saying salvation first followed by works. None of the Bible stories support this view.

This is why I keep asking people to give an example of someone who was saved by faith alone. Every story I read of people being saved/justified/forgiven, their faith is always acccompanied by action prior to salvation.

Katie

Katie, someone else mentioned it, what about the theif on the cross, how does that story appear to you?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:

Katie
There is the case of th eman who didn't refer to faith, rather to obedience to the law and went away disappointed because Jesus said he was close but not close enough.

The key is justification \ justified \ being declared just-holy before God. No one is declared that without faith.
That means if two people can do the identical thing but one has faith and the other doesn't .... the one that doesn't is not acceptable while the other is acceptable.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,720,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Katie, someone else mentioned it, what about the theif on the cross, how does that story appear to you?
Yes, that is the best example if you ask me ... the thief on the cross ...

Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Thank you for asking Phaze.

The thief on the cross SHOWED his faith. He didn't simply believe in his heart.

1. He made a public profession of faith
2. He repented of his sins; He publicly admitted his guilt
3. He preached the truth of Christ to the other thief
4. He asked the Lord to be remembered in the Heavenly Kingdom - acknowledging both His Lordship and His Sovereignty over a Heavenly Kingdom.

Katie

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is the case of th eman who didn't refer to faith, rather to obedience to the law and went away disappointed because Jesus said he was close but not close enough.

The key is justification \ justified \ being declared just-holy before God. No one is declared that without faith.
That means if two people can do the identical thing but one has faith and the other doesn't .... the one that doesn't is not acceptable while the other is acceptable.
I'm not sure which story you are referring to Twin. Can you cite the scripture so I can check it out? Thanks.

I agree with you that no one is justified without faith. I just hate the term "faith alone." We don't see it in the Bible except negatively when James refers to it. It does nothing but cause division in the Lord's church. Why not simply say what the Bible says? We are justified by faith. PERIOD! Why do men think they need to qualify it with the word "alone?"

Katie

Old 10-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Katie how is your faith working out for you ?. What were and are the works that follow your faith ?.
I'm not sure I follow what you are asking me.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Jesus Forgives and Heals a Paralyzed Man

Matthew 9:1 Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. 2 Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”

Jesus SAW THEIR FAITH

Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow what you are asking me.
Hi Katie, I think it's all well and good believing what you do, but is what you believe working in your life,are the good works that follow faith a reality with you?,I personally don't believe faith is a one time thing, we live by it,and if we say we have faith there will be evidence of it.I'm actually going through a faith makeover right now after seeing much of my faith was dead faith(it's better to be honest,for the truth sets you free).

Old 10-03-2011, 06:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,381,890 times
Would you say that Lot showed his faith with good works? Yet he found favor with God and was referred to as a righteous man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity