Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
I'm pretty sure Katie's idea of obedience is obedience to God's Word.
Yes it is. Thanks Atomtkirk.

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:10 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Why would Jesus need faith? HE IS God...

Are you serious with this question? or are you being whimsical? maybe whimsical is the wrong word... i'm still trying to figure out how you are going to apply human issues like faith to the Son of God.
Because He's a faith God ?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Do you have a passage that shows men saved by faith alone? That is the thread topic. Thanks.

Katie
Hi Katie,
I read in your thread that some other posters have cited some verses that tell us that our faith is what justifies us.

A person can believe in God (faith is a gift of the Spirit) but if there are no works, it's as though they didn't have faith at all.

In fact, Hebrews 11 gives examples of faith which is manifested in concrete works. Abraham didn't just believe in God-- he believed and DID what he believed God was telling him to do, and was justified for it.

So faith is the "fuel" that gets us going. But fuel in and of itself is worthless. It has to be used for something.

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 AM

531 posts, read 479,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that there may be no one there to judge you except yourself? "The Father has given all judgment to the Son." And "the Son judges no one." If the Father doesn't judge, and the Son doesn't judge, then who judges? The Holy Spirit?

Paul wrote, "if we judged ourselves, we would not be judged." To me, that says that the judging should be going on right now, where we live, in our own minds and hearts.

Blessings,
brian
That has actually never occurred to me. Romans 14 says that everyone will give an account of himself to God.

And to the scripture from 1 cor 11 you quoted... I've always said that we need to be examining ourselves right now so our stand before and walk with God will be a pleasant one. But that's not an original statement... i got it from the bible.

check out this blog entry i wrote...

Highway Church of Christ Youth: The Internal Audit

I can't remember if it was here or another forum, but i've said that other places to. That's scriptural. But the Word of God will judge us and should judge us now.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Katie's idea of obedience is obedience to God's Word.
What I want to know is what are the works of obedience to God's word ?, bearing in mind that the scripture tells us that loving your neighbor is the fulfillment of the law.

You see if you want to talk about the life of the believer that glorifies our heavenly Father and what exactly are the works he created us to walk in, I would suggest you read Matthew 5-7.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Hi Katie,
I read in your thread that some other posters have cited some verses that tell us that our faith is what justifies us.

A person can believe in God (faith is a gift of the Spirit) but if there are no works, it's as though they didn't have faith at all.

In fact, Hebrews 11 gives examples of faith which is manifested in concrete works. Abraham didn't just believe in God-- he believed and DID what he believed God was telling him to do, and was justified for it.

So faith is the "fuel" that gets us going. But fuel in and of itself is worthless. It has to be used for something.

Blessings,
brian
Well said Brian! It is impossiible to have a faith that doesn't manifest itself unless, of course, it is dead. To date, not one example of someone being saved by faith alone has been provided on this thread. That should cause people to rethink their position that faith alone saves if they are honest with themselves.

Katie

Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Because He's a faith God ?
But why would jesus have faith in God?

Hebrews tells us that faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Jesus KNOWS God exists. The angels don't need faith... they've seen God.

We need faith. We have never seen God.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You can't apply the same criteria to Jesus that you do to me, for example.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
What I want to know is what are the works of obedience to God's word ?, bearing in mind that the scripture tells us that loving your neighbor is the fulfillment of the law.

You see if you want to talk about the life of the believer that glorifies our heavenly Father and what exactly are the works he created us to walk in, I would suggest you read Matthew 5-7.
Too late already have! ha!

i'll get back to the other points soon, gotta meeting to go to real quick.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Hi Katie,

Blessings,
brian
Brian

Do you mean like if you have not been baptized,then you really do not have faith?

Suppose one loves their neighbors as themselves thus fulfilling the law, does this person have faith and the evidence of it ?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
But why would jesus have faith in God?

Hebrews tells us that faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Jesus KNOWS God exists. The angels don't need faith... they've seen God.

We need faith. We have never seen God.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You can't apply the same criteria to Jesus that you do to me, for example.
Where does faith come from, you or God ?.Scripture tells us that God gave us faith,faithfulness is one of the fruits of the Spirit,Love which is God,believes all things Faith is not for us just to believe God exists. Jesus had faith in God,all that he did was by faith in his Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity