U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 AM

30,138 posts, read 19,958,111 times

Advertisements

What does love actually do to your neighbor ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,044,228 times
I think a better question is what does loving others do for us?

Here is the verse in its context:

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,”a and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”b 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Loving one another, this is a debt that must be always in the paying, and yet always owing. Love is a debt. The law of God and the interest of mankind make it so. It is not a thing which we are left at liberty about, but it enjoins us, as the principle and summary of all duty owing one to another.

It is a sin not only to devise evil against your neighbor, but to withhold good from those to whom it is due; both are forbidden (Proverbs 3:27-29). This proves that love is the fulfilling of the law, answers all the end of it; for what else is that but to restrain us from evil-doing, and to constrain us to well-doing? Love is a living active principle of obedience to the whole law.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

Here is the verse in its context:

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,”a and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”b 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Loving one another, this is a debt that must be always in the paying, and yet always owing. Love is a debt. The law of God and the interest of mankind make it so. It is not a thing which we are left at liberty about, but it enjoins us, as the principle and summary of all duty owing one to another.

It is a sin not only to devise evil against your neighbor, but to withhold good from those to whom it is due; both are forbidden (Proverbs 3:27-29). This proves that love is the fulfilling of the law, answers all the end of it; for what else is that but to restrain us from evil-doing, and to constrain us to well-doing? Love is a living active principle of obedience to the whole law.
Agreed....but my question is,what does love actually do to your neighbor ?.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Love actually edifies our neighbor 1 Cor 1:8. So when we are loving our neighbor as ourselves,we are not only building up and establishing them,we are also doing the same to ourselves.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,720,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Why is that a better question? No offense, but that sounds a little selfish to me.

Loving our neighbor contributes to their joy, peace, and hope. I think it would likely make them a better person and make them want to show love to others - like a pay it forward attitude.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,044,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Why is that a better question? No offense, but that sounds a little selfish to me.

Loving our neighbor contributes to their joy, peace, and hope. I think it would likely make them a better person and make them want to show love to others - like a pay it forward attitude.
Sorry! It wasn't meant to be harsh at all. I was simply trying to answer his question, based on the passage as it was stated within the entire context. I think that is the best way to try to define the meaning of any part of scripture - in its context.

The referenced verse was in regards to keeping the Law. It is about our own personal walk - in love - with Christ. Love is a debt that we pay. We are bringing upon ourselves more debt by harming our neighbor.

This is the only reason I reversed his question.

And yes, where you say loving or neighbors contributes to their joy peace, hope, etc, you are very much correct. And I know there are other Bible passages concerning such. But this verse what written for another lesson to be learned, the flip side of contributions to others.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or