Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I have a feeling that you have a neighbor that isn't going to like anything you do. Perhaps a fence all the way around would be the answer.
Yes, build the fence.
I know you only asked for Christians' advise, but I have had bad neighbor experiences myself, and I know that bad neighbors are not worth any of your energy, and stewing over WILL cause you so much unnecessary pain. I know this is easier said than done, but I suggest completely ignoring your neighbor, building a privacy fence (as high as legally possible) around all of your property and just trying to live your life peacefully.
Once neighbor disputes escalate to the point that you are contemplating moving away, then you probably should. if this is not an option, then you have to find a way to deal. Unfortunately, a tall fence may be the best solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I have a neighbor who was outside last night and was talking to me and my husband. My son told her that we bought a new pool and she asked how big it was. My husband said 18' around and 4 ft deep. She then told me that I was not in compliant with the city ordinance to have such a pool because only 2 sides of my yard have a 6 foot fence. Now, mind you I know this and have every intention of putting a fence up next spring before we set up the pool. I then told her, yes I understand Ellen, but the law also says that it is illegal to have any body of water 18" or deeper within your yard without a 6' fence. (She has a 3 1/2 foot pond in her backyard with no privacy fence, only chain link. She ignored what I said and in response told me that if a child drowned in my pool it would be my neck. I was very angry with this. She also has a deck 4' off the ground with no railing. I am so angry and the first thing I want to do is call the city and report her for her pond and deck for being non-compliant. Is this wrong. The obvious answer to me is that if I am doing this out of spite then I should not do it. But I am so angry, please give me guidance on this matter. What would you do?
All I have to say is, "Welcome to my world" .
We also have a nasty neighbor. They keep turning us in for STUPID little things, which in turn the city finds other things to nit pick about.
The last time she turned us in, it cost us over $500 by the time the city got done with us . Then, a couple of weeks ago, we were cleaning our carpet during the daytime (we own a carpet cleaning business). While outside, my husband noticed that their water was running through the brick wall and into our yard. We live in the desert, so it gets MUDDY! My husband went over and asked them to turn their water off because it was running into our yard. The lady (being SNOTTY of course) told my husband to keep the noise down that we're being too LOUD! Give me a break lady...we're cleaning our carpets in the middle of the day . We have now decided to clean our carpet A LOT MORE OFTEN! I also clean the upholstery in my car!

Our other neighbor is the pastor of our church. He's 80 years old. He accidentally backed his boat into their brick wall a couple of months ago. It knocked down 4 bricks on ONE end...They just refused the check the pastor's insurance cut them. They said it isn't enough and they want the WHOLE WALL replaced! Now they have their insurance company suing the pastor's insurance company...Nice neighbors, eh?

Have you ever seen the movie "Big Fat Liar?" The main guy in the movie is BLUE throughout most it. He is blue because someone through some blue dye in his pool ...My husband is really TEMPTED

Anyway, it's like the pastor's wife and I discussed, even though our human nature is telling us to retaliate, we need to not do anything. In the end, God will serve justice. And even if you (not YOU personally, I know you're a believer) don't believe in God, most people still believe in karma...Our neighbors WILL be faced with justice somewhere down the road.
That being said, if you really feel there is a safety issue, you need to pray about it and see what God leads you to do about the situation.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM

401 posts, read 685,259 times
If you feel her pond is dangerous to small children, and the law agrees with you, your responsibility is with innocent children and the law.

As for the tree in South Carolina the owner of the tree is responsible for any damage it does to anyone's property. Have you actually asked a lawyer about the tree, or just people in general?

If you think you have trouble try living next door to a crack addict who has literally shot himself in the past to get drugs. He is away from home for the next few years but I dread the day he is allowed to come home.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,641 times
Last Sunday, the family and I went out to eat breakfast after church. The restaurant was packed. We were the only people in line.
After about 15 minutes here came a party of four in line behind us. The man told the waitress, can I put my name on the list.. what list..I didn't know anything about a list. ( He must of been a regular at that restaurant) After he stepped back, I told the waitress I didn't know about the list and asked to be placed on it. He heard me!

His name was called first, the waitress looked at me to see if I was going to complain. She knew we had been standing there for around 20 minutes by that time and that they had just walked in the door.I waited to see if anyone of the four, would step up and say" they were here first, let them go first".Without looking at us, they walked right by us to be seated. When they sat down, I noticed the man couldn't help it, he looked over and made eye contact with me.

What did I do....I smiled!! Not rudely but a real smile!
He was surprised and so was the waitress. (1) minute later a table was ready for us.
(Of course they didn't know how much longer we would have to wait)!
I thought, if this was a test of their character, they flunked it over (1 ) minute .

My point is... We all have a choice on how we react to every situation in life!

Last edited by DBNN; 08-22-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 01:17 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Here's what I think you should do lpdsag:

1) Ignore her. As others have said, some people FEED on negativity. If you really think the pond is a hazard to others, TELL your neighbor what you think, without arguing about it or even raising your voice. I call it the "litigation" voice. Imagine yourself as an attorney in court, lay out the facts, the statute number if you have to, and ask her to have it fenced as soon as possible. If not done by xxxx date, then you will report it to the authorities, period. Even appeal to their reason side and explain that it is a LIABILITY for them to be in non-compliance with local ordinances. They will not be covered by their liability insurance if something happens. Most people are totally disarmed and don't know how to respond to this approach because you were forthright and honest. She also won't be able to tell all the other neighbors that you went behind her back. She'll be probably too embarrassed to tell anyone.
2) Forget about the deck. Probably the only people who would be susceptible to injury would be your neighbors. It's their neck.
3) Get your fence up NOW. Don't wait for the pool to go in if at all possible. These people are already sucking you down to their level. You need to distance yourself from them.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Here's what I think you should do lpdsag:

1) Ignore her. As others have said, some people FEED on negativity. If you really think the pond is a hazard to others, TELL your neighbor what you think, without arguing about it or even raising your voice. I call it the "litigation" voice. Imagine yourself as an attorney in court, lay out the facts, the statute number if you have to, and ask her to have it fenced as soon as possible. If not done by xxxx date, then you will report it to the authorities, period. Even appeal to their reason side and explain that it is a LIABILITY for them to be in non-compliance with local ordinances. They will not be covered by their liability insurance if something happens. Most people are totally disarmed and don't know how to respond to this approach because you were forthright and honest. She also won't be able to tell all the other neighbors that you went behind her back. She'll be probably too embarrassed to tell anyone.
2) Forget about the deck. Probably the only people who would be susceptible to injury would be your neighbors. It's their neck.
3) Get your fence up NOW. Don't wait for the pool to go in if at all possible. These people are already sucking you down to their level. You need to distance yourself from them.

Good luck!
put up the fence...I might also buy some "fake" cameras to put at the end of each side of my property where she can she them..they are cheap--around 10 bucks and she will thing twice about "snooping" once she thinks your have her on tape.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
put up the fence...I might also buy some "fake" cameras to put at the end of each side of my property where she can she them..they are cheap--around 10 bucks and she will thing twice about "snooping" once she thinks your have her on tape.
Between this idea and the hot dogs, you'd be a great neighbor to have arguy, LOL!!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:34 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,136 times
LOL arguy, those fake cameras are right on...

I once had an older lady give me a very wise piece of advice. She told me that you can catch/calm more bears with honey. And she was so right on.

My suggestion? Be nice. Then be nice some more. Send her some flowers with a nice note stating that you know she has been through a lot lately and you just wanted to cheer her up.

What you say? This cuts them off at the knees. There is no way in hades they can justify coming over and being super ugly after you have gone out of your way to be nice to them. It does work, and they usually end up with the shorter end of the stick so to speak.

All the while, I am in complete agreement with others here. Build that fence now instead of later. And consider decorator lattice or somehting at the top just to add a further bit of privacy for you and family while enjoying your new pool next summer.

About that tree, hmm, talk with an attorney, if part of that tree is hanging in YOUR yard, I believe you have every right to have someone come and cut away the part of the branches that are hanging over your line. But be sure to check first.

The less contact you have with these neighbors after all this, the better for you.

And remember, they can't hurt or make you mad unless you give them the power to do so. So, stop giving them the power to mess up your lovely day. Hard to do, but not impossible. Once I figured this out, my days are much better. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Between this idea and the hot dogs, you'd be a great neighbor to have arguy, LOL!!
lol..thanks..

Old 08-22-2007, 04:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,812,692 times
Oh we have a neighbor like that...we refer to him as the "Nazi Neighbor".

1. What I would want to do:

Report her for her pond and deck thing and make her miserable.

2. What I should do:

As long as her fence is gated all the way around and my kids and animals can't get in there leave it be. This of course is only if she lets me be, if she doesn't then refer to 1.

As for the tree...if it poses a real threat to your property then I would go ahead and find out who you need to report that to. I would also send a certified, return reciept letter to the neighbor asking her to tend to her tree for the reasons you mentioned. Even if the homeowner's insurance won't pay for repairs caused by her tree that doesn't mean she wouldn't still be liable to pay for them. But having proof that you notified her and asked her to remedy the situation prior to a problem would be good for you to have.

Good luck with it...I and the rest of my neighbors just ignore our Neighborhood Nazi...but it gets harder and harder to do when he goes door to door with petitions against you...and then knocks on your door to petition against someone else. I have said some choice words here and there and forbid him from coming onto my property in the future...I know not very constructive but I'd rather not deal with his day to day nonsense and just deal with his complaints about us when he reports them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity