Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:50 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godservant View Post
how does it feel to be free..

i long to be free but sometime the longing itself makes me feel trapped.
if you beleive to have truth ..how does it feel? to be absolutly free . and from what are u free from ? and what is the truth that sets you free?

anyone care to share.
thanks
godservant, I don't know if you know this or not, but many people are unable to place their trust in a savior who would let anyone suffer forever.

Everyone will choose to believe whatever they are convinced is the truth about what the Bible teaches. I post on forums to give people an alternate point of view. Had I known that one existed I never would have had a horrific twelve year nervous breakdown 1966-78 over my inability to love a god who would allow anyone actually prefer to suffer forever rather than eventually reach out for the salvation that God has provided. I'm almost 73 years old now.

THE FOLLOWING HAS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE TRUE REGARDING THE DEBATE ABOUT ETERNAL TORMENT

The argument about “eternal hell” nearly always gets bogged down with the words, “My Greek scholars are more reliable than your Greek scholars,” and the result is nearly always a stalemate.

My Greek scholars are Louis Abbott and the many Greek scholars he quotes in chapters three and twelve of
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
An Analytical Study of Words

Also see
TIME AND ETERNITY A BIBLICAL STUDY
TIME AND ETERNITY: A Biblical Study

Also see
THE SCHOLAR’S CORNER FOR THE STUDY OF BIBLICAL UNIVERSALISM at
Scholar's Corner: The Center for Bible studies in Christian Universalism

If you think it glorifies God more to let some of His creatures suffer forever, or annihilate them, then you keep believing that.

But if you think it glorifies God more to eventually meet everyone on the level of their greatest and deepest need which is a change in their stubborn will, then know that there is plenty of evidence in the Bible that is exactly what God is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 04:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Especially since certain people continue to hold the truth in unrightouesness and conceal God's message of reconciliation of the world through Jesus Christ. In other words, some people hide their evil deeds from God because they have heard a nasty rumor that He is unforgiving and unloving. Sad....
It is the KINDNESS of God the leads to repentance.
No, in other words you are saying everyone who does not agree with your view is not saved. Sigh......

Old 10-15-2011, 04:46 AM

Lightbulb Lydia, and Saul of Tarsus are illustrations of the truth

Lydia, and Saul of Tarsus are illustrations of the truth that everyone will be saved according to God's perfect timing for each individual.

SOONER OR LATER GOD ALL IN ALL - ANTHONY J. BORRELLO
“As hostile and objectionable our dear brethren may be, there are answers and explanations for every argument and/or insinuation presented against the undeniable fact, That God indeed is a God ‘Who will have all men to be saved, and come into a knowledge of the truth (1Tim. 2:4). As greatly as man and their religious attempt to fight this utterly dynamic evangel (good news), God shall eventually be All in all (1Cor. 15:28)."
EDITOR'S ADDITION:
BIBLE THREATENINGS EXPLAINED
Bible Threatenings Explained

"But God is in no hurry. He has specific eons, and administrations within the eons, to fulfill His universal purpose and intention of universal reconciliation. All came out of Christ, including Adam. Consequently all shall be restored by and through Christ, ‘yet each in his own class’ (1Cor. 15:23)."
EDITOR'S ADDITION:
GOD'S PLAN FOR THE AGES OF TIME
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

"Annihilation is only one step from its false associate ‘eternal torment.’ When clouds of confusion gather regarding God’s plan for mankind, and despair come showering down upon our studies, turn to God’s word originally rendered, then, like a searchlight in the darkness of night, His love, and His light of understanding will surely beam forth. God will not allow any to be eternally lost. He is a loving Creator, working out His purpose for the universe, Who will get love from all in return, so that He can and will be ‘ALL in all,’ to all, ‘later.’”
EDITOR'S ADDITION:
WILL UNBELIEVERS BE ANNIHILATED? - chapters three and four
Lighthouse Library International - ALL IN ALL, ADOLPH E||&type=&what=author

Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I don't think there is a clear definition of "TRUTH" or "FREE" in this discussion Somehow this board went from what "truth" is to some more religious legalism.... There seems to be an overwhelming focus on the avoidance of Hell, something negative, as in avoiding a negative as in choosing "God" because he is the lesser of two evils. Yes "God" is evil, he has an ego and he will have no second thought about letting someone suffer eternity if his "mood" is such, BUT he mnight "Save" someone if his "Grace" Happens to be on that day....Likewise there is this totally Evil Devil who wants to have you suffer as well, and would take such great pleasure in doing it. Never mind that this supposed "Devil" is an antagonist to "God" and realistically probably would not want to do "God's will" which would be to torture and punish people. Seems like if this "Devil" Really wanted to oppose God he would breate a "hell" Which is better than "Heaven" Oh but wait The devil has no power to create, only the creator does, but wait the creator has a mean streak as well, flooding burning and destroying his creation over and over again (never mind the pain placed on the people who had to suffer this)
What eventually comes out what comes about at the end of every "mystical" Argument, every metaphyical model, every possible scenario is that the above things, "god" and "satan" are clear creations of human frailties, fears, and superstitions. The Equation does not add up otherwise. When a person realizes this, then he or she becomes free of the bondage of religion, the fear of hell, the focus on the afterlife and puts forth the ability to live this life to the fullest, relishing in everything good around them, seeing the positive light of the world, which is not owned by some religion, but comes from within. I think for myself that is the definition of truth and free.....

Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Post Or, to rephrase LargKingCat's post from a UR point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I don't think there is a clear definition of "TRUTH" or "FREE" in this discussion Somehow this board went from what "truth" is to some more religious legalism.... There seems to be an overwhelming focus on the avoidance of Hell, something negative, as in avoiding a negative as in choosing "God" because he is the lesser of two evils. Yes "God" is evil, he has an ego and he will have no second thought about letting someone suffer eternity if his "mood" is such, BUT he mnight "Save" someone if his "Grace" Happens to be on that day....Likewise there is this totally Evil Devil who wants to have you suffer as well, and would take such great pleasure in doing it. Never mind that this supposed "Devil" is an antagonist to "God" and realistically probably would not want to do "God's will" which would be to torture and punish people. Seems like if this "Devil" Really wanted to oppose God he would breate a "hell" Which is better than "Heaven" Oh but wait The devil has no power to create, only the creator does, but wait the creator has a mean streak as well, flooding burning and destroying his creation over and over again (never mind the pain placed on the people who had to suffer this)
What eventually comes out what comes about at the end of every "mystical" Argument, every metaphyical model, every possible scenario is that the above things, "god" and "satan" are clear creations of human frailties, fears, and superstitions. The Equation does not add up otherwise. When a person realizes this, then he or she becomes free of the bondage of religion, the fear of hell, the focus on the afterlife and puts forth the ability to live this life to the fullest, relishing in everything good around them, seeing the positive light of the world, which is not owned by some religion, but comes from within. I think for myself that is the definition of truth and free.....
Or, to rephrase LargKingCat's post from a UR point of view.
A snippet from A TREATISE ON ATONEMENT – HOSEA BALLOU

“We are told of a god who created millions of beings whom he intends for endless torments and puts His whole design into execution; and this is called "supreme goodness."

In millions of cases this god finds it most for his glory to make his rational, hoping, wanting creatures endlessly miserable.

We are likewise told of a devil who acts for his own gratification, and who delights in making God’s creatures miserable; and this is called "badness."

Shall we thus represent our kind and merciful Father from Whom streams of goodness continually flow to His wanting, needing creatures? No; let every vibration of sense within us acknowledge His bountiful hand which will never close.”

Personally, I believe the Bible teaches that God will eventually transform all evil and suffering into something better for everyone that it temporarily prevailed.

Here is a snippet from A.P. Adams with which I agree.
THE PURPOSE OF EVIL
All things, evil included, are to eventuate in good. Evil is one of God's servants for good, it must eventuate in good for everyone, for nothing but good is to be the final result.
The Purpose of Evil

Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,567 times
in christianity, the opposite of freedom is guilt. If you intellectualize (dumbly) christianity (just as the intellectual opposite of faith is doubt-the common problem of outwardly directed mentalities ; however, christianly, the opposite of faith is sin), then the opposite of freedom is necessity-this intellectualizing drags one into "fate"-all too common in the christian now. Secularly, one needs to bring power or force into relation to freedom to overcome necessity or accident (chance), such as that dumb secular "free will" idea that one gets tired of hearing ignorant christians prattle on and on about, one needs to speak of volition, and of course this is countered biblically with "once one sins one is a slave to sin", ie, lacks power to free himself from it; and as we all know, all have sinned. This brings atheism into christianity. So christian freedom, one is free from guilt-this the Jew could not acquire because of the relation he had to the law (a continual need to sacrifice) and the Greek was in relation to fate (synthesis of accident and necessity), ie, he could not posit providence (hence christianity's infusion with paganism/atheism when it follows this form). When christ says, "if I free you, you are free indeed", this must be brought into relationship with what christ did-the atonement and his death for human sin (individual sin by each individual-not some non-existent abstraction of universal quantification); or freedom from guilt. How does it feel? That is hard to say especially in this day and age where everyone is so double minded and feels for everything temporal and changing. The more profound the person, and few these are, the more deeply he/she will feel the joy in this, and the more that one will cling to the christ.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Exclamation It feels great to know this evidence exists

Quote:
if you beleive to have truth ..how does it feel? to be absolutly free . and from what are u free from ? and what is the truth that sets you free?
anyone care to share. thanks
What set me free from being afraid of God is discovering that there is evidence that a correctly (literally, not interpretively) translated Bible teaches universal reconciliation.

It feels great to know this evidence exists, and I love to share it with anyone who may be interested!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
1 John 1
5This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:

anyone care to share.
thanks
Yes, the truth will set you free, and it's great.

Remember you will never find it searching through a book of ancient superstitions or in a church, for they see truth as the enemy.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,567 times
yes look into yourself, because as a socially constructed person, formed up by all the competing social groups around you (all wanting only you to find the truth, ha), taking in all this gibberish from, looking into yourself to geniuses on data forum, you will definitely find the truth, because you yourself never see truth as the enemy, its always those other guys-yeah right.

It is always amazing this notion that some how some nobody can pull the truth up purely from inside, as if, as if, their little brain and feelings were never touch by the social, and that includes books or churches, bar buddies, dopey friends, and etc, when all along you came here naked and blank, and many wrote on your blackboard mind; the mind alone, digging up from within its own crap, is the most "superstitious" one (as the ol' saying goes the mind thinking alone grows peculiar), and when it thinks no others influenced it, even when one gets advice on a thread influencing (!), and encouraging it, well that is influence; you are already under the "spell" of another one who is telling you he has the truth, and not from books or churches, even less of a thoughtful history then those "enemies of truth"-what a sell job, an investment of nil. The one casting the spell has nothing but himself-this is the authority you have to believe, and I wager he/she has not even been on Oprah (he thinks, because with only himself, he thinks he has escaped error, but as I have it above, no one is entirely himself-error in society is indeed in mega proportions, willingly passed around like spit).

Looking inside in this way is the "immediate"; there is no such thing as an immediate actually as, as soon as the immediate is posited it is annulled, or mediated, all knowledge then is mediated knowledge-look inside sure, but the language that you form your thoughts in have already determined its form (this is why dope mystics, liberal christians, tdaze [whatever services without preaching] churches, conservate christians with their thoughtless bible theories, try not to think, to avoid the structuring of thought, but then they have no thought, and today that is considered greatness or high spirituality; this, when spirituality at its highest is thought), the culture has already determined its content or the storehouse from which you will draw from (like from those eager to get you alone), the individual then, if he reaches half-wittedness begins then to cobble all this together to form a life view, generally, thinking is too hard for the mass and rabble, so they just go along with the blind ones that leads them along and take the life view that they are handed-to perdition.

The truth within implies recollection, the ol' greek idea that the eternal lay behind him, and having come into existence, well he forgot it all. Finding the truth was problematic because how is one to know what it is like when he saw it? Well, he would perhaps remember it. This remembering was done with the aid of mentors, Delphi, and the like, to help one recollect, but only the one attempting to recollect could recollect, no one could do that for him. The modern has the eternal in front of him, so learning is not a recollection, as the modern man did not exist before he came here. One's mentors now are one's teachers-be careful of who you learn from, as there are a lot of people hawking crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity