Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Mike, can DEAD Faith Save you? Can IMPERFECT FAITH save you?
This too was already addressed in the original post. Please make an effort to read and understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I found this list, which someone put together, and I posted it on the other 'works' thread, but I'll post it here too:

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” -Ephesians 2:8,9

Rom. 3:28-30, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one."
Rom. 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness,"
Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
Rom. 9:30, "What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith."
Rom. 10:4, "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."
Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."
Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."
Gal. 2:21, I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.
Gal.3:5-6, "Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."
Gal. 3:24, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith."
Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. 9Not by works, lest any man should boast."
Phil. 3:9, "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith."
That's a good list. It cannot be more clear that salvation is through faith alone in Christ alone, and not by any meritorious works on our part. Some legalists will attempt to distinquish between works of the law and works of God, claiming that you must do the works of God in addition to having faith in order to be saved. But as I mentioned in the original post, Jesus said that there was only one work of God that we must do to be eternally saved, and that one work of God was to BELIEVE in Him.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I found this list, which someone put together, and I posted it on the other 'works' thread, but I'll post it here too:

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” -Ephesians 2:8,9

Rom. 3:28-30, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one."
Rom. 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness,"
Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
Rom. 9:30, "What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith."
Rom. 10:4, "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."
Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."
Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."
Gal. 2:21, I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.
Gal.3:5-6, "Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."
Gal. 3:24, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith."
Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. 9Not by works, lest any man should boast."
Phil. 3:9, "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith."
RESPONSE:

Yes. Paul contradicted Jesus on this point, and was considered an apostate from Mosaic law by early Christians.

Matthew 5:17-20
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM

461 posts, read 480,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone. Not by works. The Scriptures are clear on this. It is legalists who do not understand, or who do not care what the Scriptures say. I believe that I have explained fairly well what Jesus, Paul, and James meant by the relationship between faith and works.
Follow the example the son of man gave not anyone else.

The son of man says along with Jesus "The man who has faith in me will do the works I do".

That quote alone is proof you are wrong. Christians do not follow Jesus that is why they do not know the truth and the word of God.You don't realize what the works are even though I posted it here and on other threads.The reason you do not see is because you do not keep the Lords commandments and His words.He said as I do";The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father ,I too will love him and reveal myself to him".

Jesus, and the son of man are the truth, the word of God and He has not revealed the word of God to you which is himself because you do not carry on in His words.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Yes, faith is what saves us. And faith is a gift from God, which God has not yet given to every man. Many do not yet believe, but if God gives them faith, they will believe.

Praise God for His grace!

Blessings,
brian
No. It is not faith which saves. Faith must have a proper object. Faith in Buddha will not save you. Faith in the moon god Allah will not save you. It is faith IN JESUS CHRIST which saves because it though faith in Jesus Christ that the free gift of salvation, which was made possible by the work of Jesus Christ on the cross, is taken possession of. Faith is non-meritorious. The merit is in the object of the faith. The merit is in Jesus Christ to whom personal faith must be directed.

God gives everyone the capacity to have faith. Whether or not you produce the faith is your responsibility. You must respond to the gospel message by placing your faith in Christ.

Luke 7:50 'And He (Jesus) said to the woman, ''Your faith has saved you; go in peace.''

In contrast to the woman who had faith in Luke 7:50, Jesus said to those Jews to whom He was speaking in John 5:40, ''and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life''. These people refused to believe Jesus. They heard the gospel but refused to place their faith in Christ for salvation. They chose not to believe.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-14-2011 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
No. It is not faith which saves. Faith must have a proper object. Faith in Buddha will not save you. Faith in the moon god Allah will not save you. It is faith IN JESUS CHRIST which saves because it though faith in Jesus Christ that the free gift of salvation which was made possible by the work of Jesus Christ on the cross is taken possession of.

God gives everyone the capacity to have faith. Whether or not you produce the faith is your responsibility. You must respond to the gospel message by placing your faith in Christ.

Luke 7:50 'And He (Jesus) said to the woman, ''Your faith has saved you; go in peace.''

In contrast to the woman who had faith in Luke 7:50, Jesus said to those Jews to whom He was speaking in John 5:40, ''and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life''. These people refused to believe Jesus. They heard the gospel but refused to place their faith in Christ for salvation. They chose not to believe.
No, Mike. Faith is an actual gift from God. (please see my new thread for further reference) He gives it to us, in His time. Not any earlier. My own experience bears this out.

(The Jews were MADE unwilling by God Himself, so that they "couldn't hear and be converted.")

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princely View Post
Follow the example the son of man gave not anyone else.

The son of man says along with Jesus "The man who has faith in me will do the works I do".

That quote alone is proof you are wrong. Christians do not follow Jesus that is why they do not know the truth and the word of God.You don't realize what the works are even though I posted it here and on other threads.The reason you do not see is because you do not keep the Lords commandments and His words.He said as I do";The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father ,I too will love him and reveal myself to him".

Jesus, and the son of man are the truth, the word of God and He has not revealed the word of God to you which is himself because you do not carry on in His words.
Works follow eternal salvation through faith alone in Christ alone. Every disciple of Jesus Christ is a believer, but not every believer in Jesus Christ is a disciple of Jesus. The more a believer grows spiritually, the greater his spiritual production - his works, will manifest.

Eternal salvation is a separate issue from the believers spiritual production after having been eternally saved.

Eternal life is received through faith alone in Christ alone. Works have nothing to do with obtaining eternal salvation. Works are the result of the believers spiritual life. Not the means of obtaining eternal life.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
No, Mike. Faith is an actual gift from God. (please see my new thread for further reference) He gives it to us, in His time. Not any earlier. My own experience bears this out.

(The Jews were MADE unwilling by God Himself, so that they "couldn't hear and be converted.")

Blessings,
brian
No it is not. Your personal experience is meaningless. The only reliable standard of truth is the Bible which is the word of God. That which you have called stale manna. Faith in Jesus Christ is the responsibility of man in response to the gospel.

Israel had continually disobeyed God. Jesus had offered the kingdom to Israel during His First Advent. When they rejected Him, they rejected the kingdom. The final straw was when they rejected Jesus as the Messiah. Because of that rejection, God has temporarily hardened Irsael until the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled. Israel will be restored in belief when Christ returns at the end of the tribulation. The Millenial kingdom will be established at that time.

But this thread is not about Israel. It is about personal faith in Christ. Furthermore, even the issue of where faith comes from is not the topic of this thread. So do not attempt to steer the thread in that direction.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
Quote:
No it is not. Your personal experience is meaningless. The only reliable standard of truth is the Bible which is the word of God. That which you have called stale manna. Faith in Jesus Christ is the responsibility of man in response to the gospel.

Israel had continually disobeyed God. Jesus had offered the kingdom to Israel during His First Advent. When they rejected Him, they rejected the kingdom. The final straw was when they rejected Jesus as the Messiah. Because of that rejection, God has temporarily hardened Irsael until the times of the Gentiles is fulfilled. Israel will be restored in belief when Christ returns at the end of the tribulation. The Millenial kingdom will be established at that time.

But this thread is not about Israel. It is about personal faith in Christ. Furthermore, even the issue of where faith comes from is not the topic of this thread. So do not attempt to steer the thread in that direction.
Personal experience is all we have. Until God gives us faith, we can do nothing. Zilch. Nada. Niente.

"Personal faith" as you call it, is "personal experience." If you have faith, then you should give GOD the glory, because without Him you would have nothing at all. None of us have any merit. HE does the drawing, HE does the giving, HE does the blessing, HE does the saving.

Blessings,
brian

Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
I think it's clear if we continue to live a life in sin it is very dangerous for our soul and produces thorns not fruit.

God wants us to produce fruit.

"But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned." Hebrews 6:8

"For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes." Luke 6:44

God identifies his sheep in Christ as those bearing fruit. This whole existence is described as a harvest. You have the wheat (sheep)/saved and the tares (goat)/unsaved.

The goal in life is to abide in the vine (Christ) and bare fruits of the spirit. The scriptures say if there is only thorns and briers the branch (soul) is rejected.

True faith produces fruits unto salvation. It's not a "work" but the spirit guiding our choices in life.

We need to look at if from God's perspective. Christ did it all. We accept God's free gift of salvation by living in what he says in his word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity