Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 PM

817 posts, read 739,428 times

Advertisements

Did Paul ever mention the things we would need to do to have a treasure in heaven...or only Jesus? If only Jesus....then is it possible the Gospels had to be written becaue Paul omitted many important things?

How many things can we find that Paul omitted from ALL HIS LETTERS....with all that time he spent writing...like first and foremost loving GOD THE FATHER with all our heart, soul, mind and strength as the primary commandment? (that is the first example).

Let's start there. Is anyone up for the challenge? How many omissions can you find? Let's assume that there are no contradictions in the theology at all whatsoever.

Paul said let anyone who preaches another Gospel be cursed...so
how many important things did Paul omit, that make the Gospel books different from what he taught?

Because some do not know, that Paul's books WERE WRITTEN FIRST. The "Gospels" come sequentially first in the Bible...but were written later, and in some cases decades later.

So he wasn't EXPANDING on Christ's concepts as we have been led to believe. He was the first one to try to say what they were in writing.

Paul never quotes Christ of course either. So what Gospel was he preaching? (If you look up the phrase "Paul did quote Christ" on Google, it comes up with Zero Results).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,420 times
Paul never met the living Jesus, only the risen Jesus when he was asked, "Saul,Saul why are you persecuting me?" to which he replied "Who are you Lord?". Obviously Saul knew of Jesus, that is why he was persecuting the followers of Jesus, but by knowing of him and not meeting him, then he couldn't quote him which would of been hearsay.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Paul never met the living Jesus, only the risen Jesus when he was asked, "Saul,Saul why are you persecuting me?" to which he replied "Who are you Lord?". Obviously Saul knew of Jesus, that is why he was persecuting the followers of Jesus, but by knowing of him and not meeting him, then he couldn't quote him which would of been hearsay.
Hi Saved33. Fair enough. That is a good explanation for the differences in material.

But there were churches that already existed at this time, which were founded on the oral traditions of those who DID know Jesus, that Paul was persecuting. Maybe he didn't know what the teachings were when he persecuted them. And maybe he never cared to know what the apostles who knew Jesus had to say (for surely those other apostles were not to be completely discredited)...so you can't really call it hearsay. This would serve to imply that Paul was the only apostle...if the words of those who met Jesus himself were to be considered only "hearsay." That would mean that Paul was pompous enough to put his own "revelation" as more important than anything the other actual apostles had to relate.

I think in a court of law...it would be hearsay. But from other apostles who knew Christ...it wouldn't be hearsay...but Paul's own ego regarding his revelation. He didn't seem to want to quote Christ's words from them the way he liked to quote the OT for instance.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,420 times
Some quotes of Jesus from Paul -

1 Corinthians 7:10
1 Corinthians 11:23-25

Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Some quotes of Jesus from Paul -

Thanks Saved 33.

But surely there must be more than this.

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

10And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband

Now my point is that Paul left out some very very important things. If his revelation was so important from Christ himself...why did Christ not reveal to Paul the things immediately that the others had to come and write later? Why did Paul's Gospel serve to eclipse those things for a few decades? Paul went on about all kinds of things...but omitted lots of very key references that are found in the Gospels. You would think that Paul's Gospel would contain that information...like the two things that I mentioned above, for starters. We do have LUKE however...but this copied from MARK in some respects, and it is not considered the first Gospel to be written. But Luke was not considered an apostle!!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Did Paul ever mention the things we would need to do to have a treasure in heaven...or only Jesus? If only Jesus....then is it possible the Gospels had to be written becaue Paul omitted many important things?

How many things can we find that Paul omitted from ALL HIS LETTERS....with all that time he spent writing...like first and foremost loving GOD THE FATHER with all our heart, soul, mind and strength as the primary commandment? (that is the first example).

Let's start there. Is anyone up for the challenge? How many omissions can you find? Let's assume that there are no contradictions in the theology at all whatsoever.

Paul said let anyone who preaches another Gospel be cursed...so
how many important things did Paul omit, that make the Gospel books different from what he taught?

Because some do not know, that Paul's books WERE WRITTEN FIRST. The "Gospels" come sequentially first in the Bible...but were written later, and in some cases decades later.

So he wasn't EXPANDING on Christ's concepts as we have been led to believe. He was the first one to try to say what they were in writing.

Paul never quotes Christ of course either. So what Gospel was he preaching? (If you look up the phrase "Paul did quote Christ" on Google, it comes up with Zero Results).
Paul always spoke of sowing to the Spirit that of the Spirit we reap everlasting life. It is just another metaphor like storing up treasures in Heaven which works like a bank account that is up to date and full so that we can with confidence draw upon that account because our faith and love has been enriched by the treasure sown into the account!

Jesus said there are many ways to describe the workings of the Kingdom:
MT 13:52 "Then He said to them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a man that is a homeowner, who brings forth out of his treasure things new and old." There are many ways to describe spiritual truth both with what has been said and in new ways to say it as long as it fits the pattern of foundational truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity