Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,912,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
What is the spiritual or moral story of Sodom?

Regards
DL
The story of Sodom is about the lack of concern over others, the willful act of self preservation and using another you have power over to preserve it. The destruction of that city may have been a real event, just as a tornado levels whole towns around the world.

These things do not mean that God gave his justice to those people, it is a picture of what God intends to do within us. As much as we want to preserve how we think and believe and hang on to it with all our might and often at the expense of others. God will destroy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,436,651 times
Quote:
That or Satan is deceiving me. How could I know?
Religion is the deceiver, it is what deceives you about satan, for only religion gives fictions character called satan the power you have given it.

When you recognize that there is no satan, he is a creation of religion to instill fear to control through fear and that will render satan powerless, problem solved.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,186,318 times
Default Is there rape, murder, torture and genocide in the bible...YOU DECIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
God never ordered genocide, rape, or torture. Just because you imagine it does not make it so. Where in any part of the Bible do you see it?
In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and animals.
InExodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn.
In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.
In1 Samuel 6:19, God kills 50,000 men for peeking into the ark of the covenant.
InNumbers 31:7-18, the Israelites kill all the Midianites except for the virgins, whom they are allowed to rape as spoils of war.
In 2 Kings 2:23-24, some kids tease the prophet Elisha, and God sends bears to dismember them.

It always amazes me how many times this God orders the killing of innocent people even after the Ten Commandments said “Thou shall not kill”.

And for more examples: God kills 70,000 innocent people because David ordered a census of the people (1 Chronicles 21). God also orders the destruction of 60 cities so that the Israelites can live there. He orders the killing of all the men, women, and children of each city, and the looting of all of value (Deuteronomy 3). He orders another attack and the killing of “all the living creatures of the city: men and women, young, and old, as well as oxen sheep, and asses” (Joshua 6). In Judges 21, He orders the murder of all the people of Jabesh-gilead, except for the virgin girls who were taken to be forcibly raped and married. When they wanted more virgins, God told them to hide alongside the road and when they saw a girl they liked, kidnap her and forcibly rape her and make her your wife! Just about every other page in the Old Testament has God killing somebody! In 2 Kings 10:18-27, God orders the murder of all the worshipers of a different god in their very own church! In total God kills 371,186 people directly and orders another 1,862,265 people murdered.

To insist that what was attributed to God in the OT by men is not genocide, rape, murder, torture, etc. and to call it "righteous" judgment instead is just completely misleading and FALSE. So, let's call a spade a spade...shall we, and quit trying to justify these PURELY EVIL deeds that were attributed to God by the men who wrote the books.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM

267 posts, read 295,262 times
Default A change in blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
To insist that what was attributed to God in the OT by men is not genocide, rape, murder, torture, etc. and to call it "righteous" judgment instead is just completely misleading and FALSE. So, let's call a spade a spade...shall we, and quit trying to justify these PURELY EVIL deeds that were attributed to God by the men who wrote the books.
I am defering addressing the scriptures you cited for the time being because I want to understand this point first.

You are now saying it was evil men doing these things, and trying to differ blame to God? Or, are you sticking to your original posts and saying God is responsible for these events and thus the God of the OT is evil?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I am defering addressing the scriptures you cited for the time being because I want to understand this point first.

You are now saying it was evil men doing these things, and trying to differ blame to God? Or, are you sticking to your original posts and saying God is responsible for these events and thus the God of the OT is evil?
What I am saying is that ignorant men wrote these books and attributed these heinous things to God...and yes, if these events are real, it was evil men doing these things, not God. Attempting to justify these atrocities and attributing them to God as somehow righteous, is foolish at best when we now know that God is PURE UNCONDITIONAL AGAPE LOVE...it is IMPOSSIBLE for God to be the megalomaniac he is portrayed to be in the OT while knowing this. Do you understand now what I am saying????????

Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,101,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The story of Sodom is about the lack of concern over others, the willful act of self preservation and using another you have power over to preserve it. The destruction of that city may have been a real event, just as a tornado levels whole towns around the world.

These things do not mean that God gave his justice to those people, it is a picture of what God intends to do within us. As much as we want to preserve how we think and believe and hang on to it with all our might and often at the expense of others. God will destroy it.
Who was using power in an act of willful self preservation?

Regards
DL

Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:

The point is, do you believe that God did those evils and why would you follow such a God?

Why would you not wonder why he kills when he could take the high moral ground and cure?
Same price.

Regards
DL

Old 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
The point is, do you believe that God did those evils and why would you follow such a God?

Why would you not wonder why he kills when he could take the high moral ground and cure?
Same price.

Regards
DL
EXACTLY!!!! For the life of me, I cannot understand why people think these are accurate descriptions of a loving God. If I actually thought these descriptions were accurate I would be an ATHEIST for sure...but I am thankful that this biblical God is not the God I know and am connected to.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,912,066 times
Quote:
Who was using power in an act of willful self preservation?

Regards
DL

We have a couple of things going on. First we see men approaching houses and demanding someone inside. I would believe that in any culture where if something like that happens, it is by people who believe they have power over others. And if someone agrees to hand over who they demand, then, you have someone most likely in fear and to preserve themselves they can hand over someone they have power over.

While some focus on the sexual aspect of the story, there is a deeper current of evil at work.

Last edited by Phazelwood; 10-24-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
EXACTLY!!!! For the life of me, I cannot understand why people think these are accurate descriptions of a loving God. If I actually thought these descriptions were accurate I would be an ATHEIST for sure...but I am thankful that this biblical God is not the God I know and am connected to.
I think that you will find that literalists and fundamentals of all religions hurt their parent faiths.

Islam has their bombers while 95% are moderate to progressive and the same numbers apply to Christians with 5 % who venerate and applaud genocide as good justice.

The minority are the foolish ones. Not the majority. The majority follow tradition and peer pressure. Not their God.

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity