Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Is it possible that people obey the commands of Jesus because they love Him? Is it possible that people obey the commands of Jesus because they believe and trust in His promises (Hebrews 5:9, Acts 5:32)

For me, when I first came to believe, all I wanted to do was please God by doing whatever He asked me to do. Is that wrong?

Katie
No, it is not wrong and you can not be judged by anyone. No one can judge you whether you are motivated by Gods love or a desire to be justified or any other motivation. That was the point of the post. You go girl!!!

Last edited by garya123; 10-26-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,260,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
No, it is not wrong and you can not be judged by anyone. No one can judge you whether you are motivated by Gods love or a desire to be justified or any other motivation. That was the point of the post. You go girl!!!
Gary, do you believe we have to be baptized to be saved? To have our sins washed away? Do you see baptism as a work done to earn salvation?

Katie

Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA2310 View Post
No, I don't believe it is wrong, at all. But I think we need to be careful with thinking that it in any way precedes salvation.
Ohhh, it preceded salvation all right!

Paul was baptized to have his sins washed away. Sin separates us from God, so Paul couldn't possibly have been saved until his sins were washed away.

But I see we digress. Have you found an example of someone from the Bible who was saved by faith alone, without works? No one seems to be able to provide an example.

Katie

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,936,159 times
Quote:
.....so Paul couldn't possibly have been saved until his sins were washed away.

Have you found an example of someone from the Bible who was saved by faith alone, without works? No one seems to be able to provide an example.

Katie
I gave you an example in another post with no response. Here it is again:

2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Paul unequivocally states he was "saved" (past tense) in Christ before the world began. No faith on Paul's part, no works on Paul's part, no baptism and no confession are attributed to Paul's being saved. Not one thing was contributed by Paul to his being "saved". In this particular instance, the term "saved" is being used as an exclusive act of God upon the Apostle Paul (or rather "us") without Paul's knowledge, approval or interaction therewith. And it happened before the world began.

And, Paul states that this "power of God" (2 Tim 1:8) "who saved us" was "made manifest" by the appearing of Jesus through the Gospel:

2Ti 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

The Greek word that we translate as "manifest" is φανερόω and simply means to make known, make visible and to make apparent. It should be obvious to anyone reading this that something can not be "made manifest" unless it already exists, albeit previously hidden or unknown to the one it is being made manifest to.

Do you believe what Paul wrote here, and can you reconcile these scriptures with your doctrine that states Paul "couldn't possibly have been saved" (to quote you) until being baptized?

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 10-26-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I gave you an example in another post with no response. Here it is again:

2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Paul unequivocally states he was "saved" (past tense) in Christ before the world began. No faith on Paul's part, no works on Paul's part, no baptism and no confession are attributed to Paul's being saved. Not one thing was contributed by Paul to his being "saved". In this particular instance, the term "saved" is being used as an exclusive act of God upon the Apostle Paul (or rather "us") without Paul's knowledge, approval or interaction therewith. And it happened before the world began.

And, Paul states that this "power of God" (2 Tim 1:8) "who saved us" was "made manifest" by the appearing of Jesus through the Gospel:

2Ti 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

The Greek word that we translate as "manifest" is φανερόω and simply means to make known, make visible and to make apparent. It should be obvious to anyone reading this that something can not be "made manifest" unless it already exists, albeit previously hidden or unknown to the one it is being made manifest to.

Do you believe what Paul wrote here, and can you reconcile these scriptures with your doctrine that states Paul "couldn't possibly have been saved" (to quote you) until being baptized?
I am not interested in debating calvinism. You believe in unconditional election; I do not. End of discussion!

Katie

Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 AM

289 posts, read 289,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Where does the Bible teach that water baptism is required in order to have one's sins forgiven? Every time the phrase "for the remission of sins" occurs it is speaking of the fact that sins have been forgiven previously! The Bible plainly teaches that the forgiveness of sins is conditioned upon repentance of sin and faith in Christ - never upon water baptism! (Matthew 3:11; Luke 24:47; Acts 3:19; Acts 5:31; Acts 10:43; Acts 20:21; Romans 1:16; Romans 4:5)
So, how do you explain Matthew 26:28? Is Jesus saying His blood was shed because "of the fact that sins have been forgiven previously"? I don't think so.

Also, apparently you don't believe that we are saved by faith alone since "forgiveness of sins is conditioned upon repentance of sin and faith in Christ. That's a step in the right direction -- away from the false teaching that we are saved by faith alone.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,936,159 times
Quote:
I am not interested in debating calvinism. You believe in unconditional election; I do not. End of discussion!

Katie
I've only given you scripture to consider, not Calvinism. I take it that your response is that you really don't believe what Paul wrote concerning being "saved", in Christ, before the world began. Right?

Here is something else for you to chew on this morning...lol:

Col 1:16 because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, and for him, have been created,

Do you see that? Everything is IN Christ already. We were all, including Paul, created in Jesus and for Jesus. We all live, move and have our being IN Christ.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I've only given you scripture to consider, not Calvinism. I take it that your response is that you really don't believe what Paul wrote concerning being "saved", in Christ, before the world began. Right?

Col 1:16 because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, and for him, have been created,

Do you see that? Everything is IN Christ already. We were all, including Paul, created in Jesus and for Jesus. We all live, move and have our being IN Christ.
Excellent post, Alabama!Looking for how to be among the special "saved" is a corruption of the Good News. Christ saved us ALL. We did and have nothing to do with it. Our sanctification and maturation of Spirit is our responsibility through "love of God and each other."

Old 10-27-2011, 10:57 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:

Great rebuttal Stormin

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
I don't think it was your fault. I have no idea what happened. But I know you didn't do it intentionally.

You asked me what grace was in an earlier post on this page. My answer is that is it an unearned favor. It's a free gift of God.

I do not for one minute believe faith, repentance, confession and baptism are things done to earn grace.

Faith, repentance, confession and baptism are works ordained by God, created by God for us to do. They are not included in "apart from works."

I asked you this same question in another thread. I believe you would agree that the Bible is the inspired word of God. Do you believe that the known and accepted translations we have today (KJV, NASV, etc.) are mistranslated?

Katie
For me Grace is unmerited favor and if it says that we are saved BY Faith THROUGH Grace, that tells me that our Faith is given to us by Hawyaw through His Grace...And if we are unable to desire Hawyaw without His regeneration of our spirits then I see that Faith is not of our own doing it is of Hawyaw's choosing...So, I am even more grateful For the Faith that Hawyaw has given me knowing that it is not my own, that I would not have Faith if Hawyaw hadn't chose to regenerate my spirit through His Grace and save me by His Faith...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity