Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,380,083 times

Advertisements

How does one receive the gift of the Holy Spirit?

Does God give the gift to the believer? Or does a pastor/preacher/church leader give the gift to the person at water baptism ritual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM

32,880 posts, read 26,096,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post

Does God give the gift to the believer? Or does a pastor/preacher/church leader give the gift to the person at water baptism ritual?
The indwelling of God the Holy Spirit is one of at least 40 things which the church-age believer receives from God at the moment of faith alone in Christ alone. Water baptism has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Water baptism is merely a testimony to the believers personal faith in Christ.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:07 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,563,168 times
It's an automatic gift when we receive Jesus into our lives. It's not a fall down on your face, roll around on the floor with your eyes rolled back in your head kind of thing. Anyone can work themselves right up into their own little frenzy thinking it's the holy spirit and speak in tongues......that's complete and utter nonsense. Literally, nonsense speaking. I've been around enough of it to know what I'm talking about. I was never "slain" in the spirit, I never spoke in tongues unless you count the one word I uttered randomly because I was being pushed so hard by church members to speak in tongues at age 8, and I have tried to "feel" it, trust me, I tried.

But you know what always threw me for a loop? Is the behavior of said "tongue speakers" after the church service. It's all for show, it's staged and it's fake. The Spirit of God is much more subtle, and speaks to us quietly and patiently. We just have to listen to our own consciences, that's all it is. It's not some "phenomena" that most of the world is missing out on. All we need to do is accept Jesus Christ and there He is, the Holy Spirit to guide us. Jesus and the Holy Spirit, just hanging out in our hearts and minds doing a good work.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:13 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,380,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The indwelling of God the Holy Spirit is one of at least 40 things which the church-age believer receives from God at the moment of faith alone in Christ alone. Water baptism has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Water baptism is merely a testimony to the believers personal faith in Christ.
Why do some stress that forgiveness and the Holy Spirit comes during a physical baptism? Acts 2:38 is cited.

Acts 2:38
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Why did Peter state this?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:06 PM

9,560 posts, read 1,136,034 times
Quote:

Who else could give the gift of the Holy Spirit but God? I don't know of anyone who believes that the preacher or pastor gives the Holy Spirit. Do you?

But here's what the scriptures say about the gift of the Holy Spirit. It looks like they not only received forgiveness of sins, but they got the gift of the Holy Spirit when they were baptized (the "ritual" you refer to). Then to top it off, because they believed and were baptized, they were added to the church, by none other than the Lord. Of course, Peter had to do a little prompting by saying, "SAVE YOURSELVES from this untoward generation." Yikes! There's those darned works again. Everywhere we look, they just keep on a poppin up, don't they?

37Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.
40And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

There you have it! The plain, simple language of scripture. But some won't be satisfied with accepting that. The so called Greek language experts will come crawling out of the woodwork now to give their interpretation of what the verse is really saying. So let the twisting and private interpretations begin!

Katie

Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Why do some stress that forgiveness and the Holy Spirit comes during a physical baptism? Acts 2:38 is cited.

Acts 2:38
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Why did Peter state this?
Probably because God told him to?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:13 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,903,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
There you have it! The plain, simple language of scripture. But some won't be satisfied with accepting that. The so called Greek language experts will come crawling out of the woodwork now to give their interpretation of what the verse is really saying. So let the twisting and private interpretations begin!

Katie

Here is a verse defining the difference between the need for water baptism and what baptism is really about.

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" (Matthew 3:11)"

Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
It's an automatic gift when we receive Jesus into our lives. It's not a fall down on your face, roll around on the floor with your eyes rolled back in your head kind of thing. Anyone can work themselves right up into their own little frenzy thinking it's the holy spirit and speak in tongues......that's complete and utter nonsense. Literally, nonsense speaking. I've been around enough of it to know what I'm talking about. I was never "slain" in the spirit, I never spoke in tongues unless you count the one word I uttered randomly because I was being pushed so hard by church members to speak in tongues at age 8, and I have tried to "feel" it, trust me, I tried.

But you know what always threw me for a loop? Is the behavior of said "tongue speakers" after the church service. It's all for show, it's staged and it's fake. The Spirit of God is much more subtle, and speaks to us quietly and patiently. We just have to listen to our own consciences, that's all it is. It's not some "phenomena" that most of the world is missing out on. All we need to do is accept Jesus Christ and there He is, the Holy Spirit to guide us. Jesus and the Holy Spirit, just hanging out in our hearts and minds doing a good work.
I completely agree with you that the tongues thing is a BIG FAKE. I also agree with you that God speaks to us through our consciences.

I don't agree with you about being saved by faith alone, but I'm glad that as an eight year old kid and as an adult that you were honest with yourself and never caved to peer pressure. Good for you Ilene!

Katie

Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Here is a verse defining the difference between the need for water baptism and what baptism is really about.

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" (Matthew 3:11)"
Two different baptisms with two different purposes. Baptism in water is for forgiveness of sins, and to be added to the church. That's what Acts 2:38 says. The purpose of baptism with the Holy Spirit was to empower the apostles with supernatural gifts, which would help to promote the gospel and the early church. In the case of Cornelius, it was to show Peter and the others that the Gentiles were now accepted into the church.

Katie

Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,903,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Two different baptisms with two different purposes. Baptism in water is for forgiveness of sins, and to be added to the church. That's what Acts 2:38 says. The purpose of baptism with the Holy Spirit was to empower the apostles with supernatural gifts, which would help to promote the gospel and the early church. In the case of Cornelius, it was to show Peter and the others that the Gentiles were now accepted into the church.

Katie
Of course, it is showing that the baptism of the holy spirit is the only one that truly matters. Not being water baptized has to do with the earthly community, baptism of the holy spirit is where it counts and there will be no exceptions, where as water baptism there will be exceptions that cannot be accounted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity