Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
The only "holiday" would be the annual memorial commemoration of Jesus' death.
THAT is a very cheery thing to celebrate, isn't it?

Why not celebrate other events like 9/11, the Johnstown flood, or the Chicago fire?

Most Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus, not his death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
What holidays DO you celebrate, as many of them come from pagan origins as well?

can you name the ones that are pagan in origin?-----exclude christmas and easter and never mind the christmas tree or easter egg stuff!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
THAT is a very cheery thing to celebrate, isn't it?

Why not celebrate other events like 9/11, the Johnstown flood, or the Chicago fire?

Most Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus, not his death.

the word here is commemorate which is interchangeable for honor because in His death---he brought life back to all that have sinned--that was His sacrifice--so we Christians honor Him for this

Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 AM

205 posts, read 374,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
How many who profess to be followers of God actually take part in this holiday of death that is 100% occultic/satanic and how much will they spend on this night of the dead?

Halloween

Now That’s Creepy: Americans Will Blow $7 Billion on Halloween | Moneyland | TIME.com
check this out
HALLOWEEN

Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jack View Post
check this out
HALLOWEEN
I did check it out. Nice advertisement.

It was pretty historically accurate, as Christian-produced things go. I particularly liked the part about the Church re-naming and re-purposing the old Pagan Holy Days for Christian purposes. Much more honest than many Christian publications I've seen.

I've been in and around Witchcraft for nearly 50 years, and I have yet to see any kind of living sacrifice, the calling up of demons or of the dead. We actually don't believe in demons.

We have sacrificed such things as the first loaf of bread, or the baby's first shoes. These things we have "sacrificed" by giving them to others who need them more than we do. We speak the names of our beloved dead who have Crossed the Veil between the worlds in order to remember and honor them, but we do not "conjure up" anything or anyone.

Mostly a pretty fair telling of the story. And a pretty easy sell to the choir its preaching to.

Thanks for the link.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the word here is commemorate which is interchangeable for honor because in His death---he brought life back to all that have sinned--that was His sacrifice--so we Christians honor Him for this

Old 11-03-2011, 02:41 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
We did let our daughters celebrate it, but no grotesque or satanic costumes, and amazingly? neither of them ever wanted one and had to be told no. We did the trick'r treating at malls, at homes of friends, and did parties, called "hallelujah nights" at the churches of friends a couple of years.

The colors of orange and black have, to me just got to be the ugliest color combination in existence! and so I'm always thankful for Nov. 1st. when the Fall colors, alone rule, and Christmas things, though they come out way, too early are a relief from the previous month's very, ugly Halloween colors and decorations.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If "trick or treating" was moved to Oct 29th would this sub group of christian haters think it was ok? It seems like it's more of a "do anything fun on this day and it's evil" mentality. Just think of it as an all new USA holiday tradition and nevermind what someone, somewhere did on Oct 31. It probably wasn't even Oct 31st anyway...us and our crazy calandars. If it was on a different day, and called DRESS UP day, would it suddenly be fine? Or is it forever evil because...?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
That is an easy position to take, crying that Christians are being attacked after accusing Christians who take part in activities of the day are doing Satans work.

What it comes down to is that the Christian assertions around halloween in the modern day have no bearing in reality.

What work of Satan is being done. My kids are grown and we have always participated in halloween to some degree, but some years we had other things to do and didn't.

If your beliefs have any merit, then you should be able to tell me what has happened because we have done that. Explain why my kids have no interest in real occult matters, they believe in God and are productive successful members of our society.

What is it exactly that we did for Satan?

Please detail your answer because after all, you believe you have all this knowledge on the subject.
All his knowledge comes from 'books' others wrote...I've read them...I believed them, however as I grew through the word of Hawyaw I realized how ridiculous people can get...Like the alleged Star of Satan, If one would take the time to research it thoroughly, one would discover that it's origins were benign and they would also discover at what point ridiculous people adopted it and made it a symbol of their play acting...As a matter of fact, where has anyone read in the Scriptures that anyone worshipped Satan?...They worshipped false gods, yes, but Satan?...I've never read that in The Scriptures...Halloween does not make one want to murder or have illicit sex or blaspheme Hawyaw...Man does that because of his own nature, it has nothing to do with costumes or bobbing for apples or collecting and eating candy...The fact of the matter is that All Hallow's Eve (31 October), followed by All Hallow's Day (01 November) are the Celtic Celebrations of their New Year's Eve and New Year's Day...It is a celrbration of the end of harvest (Deireadh Fómhar=October, this end the beginning of harvest time which is Meán Fomhar=September) where they take some of the food harvested to sustain them through the winter and spring and have festivities with it on Samhain=November (and it is pronounced Sow-an, not sam-hayn, they were peonouncing it wrong in the Halloween movie with Michael Myers) the 1st of November which begins the New Year on their calandar...This is still practiced in many parts of the US by farm folk, called 'The Harvest fair', or 'The Harvest Ball or Festival'...It usually is accompanied by prayers of thanksgiving to Hawyaw for a successful harvest and Him making their planting season and growing period successful..I'd say the present halloween idea comes from the fact that several ancient stories, by the Romans if i remember correctly, reported what they saw, but misunderstood, and reported it in such a way that it leaves one with an evil impression, and not to forget all the other writings over the centuries since, based on faulty facts and evidence...Why should I let another judge my liberty, I know who my God is...

Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Well, I suppose there could be someone, but that would be a fringe group. The thought that people worship Christmas trees comes from the same people who may think Satan has a red pointy tail, horns and a big pitchfork hiding in their closet.

They fear the boogey man on halloween too.
I can't remember the exact date or artist that depicted Satan as a bufoonish entity...But I read it somewhere...I think it first appeared in the Middle Ages...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity