Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I have grown out of Halloween as a Holiday and not too interested. It is just another excuse for people to get drunk. I personally do not need a reason. If I want to drink I shall do so. While, I also find Christmas to be a silly man made holiday, there are a few sincere folks who are truly observing the birth of Christ despite the fact there is evidence suggesting he was really born in January. This being said the popularity of Halloween is another indicator of the spiritual vacuum in our society. Furthermore it is a great way for Candy companies to make money and in the long term for pharmaceutical companies who will in the future reap the benefits of those addicted to sweets by profiting on Diabetic and other related drugs to control self induced illnesses.
Not january, more like anywheres from March to May...This can be proved by the jewish calandar and by the description of the scene with the shepards and angels...Shepards would not be sleeping with their flocks out in the open in january, winter, they would bring them in at the end of the day, jewish custom was during the spring, summer and fall months they would sleep out in the pastures with their flocks...It might even be that He was crucified on the same day that He was born... regardless, Jeshua never commanded anyone to observe His birth or death, however, He did command the Communion to be observed as often as we meet...I would say that the Samhain celebration has it's counterpart in the Jewish customs of the Tithe feast, to be eaten before Hawyaw in a certain venue and invite the Priests, which have no inheritence, and the widows, orphans and poor to share in the Tithe feast, which was after the harvest...Also, Hawyaw commands them to use part of the Tithe to buy Strong Drink and to use it to make merry and celebrate the goodness of Hawyaw...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Thank you to all who viewed and posted here in this thread no matter where you stood on the subject. Hopefully it has inspired thought, research and maybe woke up a few. And yes Lord willing I'll do this again next year, top of the day to one and all!
You should really research the subject before foolishly posting other's ideas that you read in some book, yer, I read them also...And at one time believed what was written in those books, however, I did my research on the subject via non-biased materials and have grown in knowledge...You should do the same...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I celebrated a very Pagan Samhain in a Sacred Circle with a couple dozen friends. We read from a list of the names of people who had Crossed the Veil in the last year, both famous, and loved ones. We comforted a little one who cried because her dog died six weeks ago. We spent several minutes in silence in honor of those we loved who are no longer living and can no longer speak.

We talked about how we would soon be focusing inward, as longer nights and lower temperatures force us indoors. And how lucky we are that today we have central heating units, and don't have to go outside in the middle of a cold night to use the toilet.

We shared bread and pomegranate juice. We sang a song about peace and fellowship.

I fail to see the satanic in this observance.
Obviously you know how the Celtic New Year is celebrated...Good for you...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Personally, I choose not to celebrate because the pagan origins conflict with (what I believe) God approves of; mixing Pagan with Christian. I've taught my children to respect others who believe differently. I find that people try to convince me that my children are missing out on the fun. I hope my children won't learn to sell out their beliefs (no matter what they may be) for a little fun and candy.
Maybe your childeren will become educated...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why do their beliefs have to have anything to do with it . . . just because yours do? Perpetuation of superstitions in this day and age ought to be considered child abuse.
Yea, and disciplining your child and spanking your child and making them get an education...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
My spiritual beliefs are as real to me as the physical laws of science that govern our world. I feel as strongly about teaching my children safety precautions as I do teaching them about their Creator.

Superstition...the irony. If teaching my children to educate themselves about the origin of festivals/holidays is perpetuating superstitions, ok. The traditions associated with the holidays are also rooted in superstitions. The difference to me...the holiday superstitions are focused on appeasing false gods. We should all surrender our children now, I suppose.

Teaching my children is my responsibility. When they get older, they will make their own decisions and form their own beliefs which may or may not be according to how I raised them. For now, I hope that I am at least teaching them to hold firm to their principles (even if they are mine for the time being). I don't want to teach them to 'sell out' on anything because the temporary reward is fun, or tastes good.
Remember what Paul told those in Macedonia that gave thanks giving to the Unkown god?...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The only "holiday" would be the annual memorial commemoration of Jesus' death.
Where did Jeshua command this?...I do not see any commands to observe and celebrations except the Communion...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Halloween is over and all the dead have gone back into the ground and the bloodlust trick or treaters have stopped terrorizing the neighborhoods. Those who fear the holiday can come back outside now.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Halloween is over and all the dead have gone back into the ground and the bloodlust trick or treaters have stopped terrorizing the neighborhoods. Those who fear the holiday can come back outside now.
Beware of the lingering candy threat though!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Beware of the lingering candy threat though!

Indeed, I can't stop eating what we didn't get to hand out !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity