Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 PM

306 posts, read 714,263 times

Advertisements

My congregation (LCMS) celebrates the Lord's Supper every two weeks except the 5th Sunday, where there's no Communion. Bi-Weekly Communion is fairly common among Lutherans, but you also see quite a few who celebrate the Eucharist weekly as well.

There are a multitude of reasons given for not celebrating the Eucharist weekly such as it would lose its reverence, celebrating Communion weekly looks too "Roman Catholic," and others. But it's probably more of a case that Communion adds 15-20 extra minutes to the Divine Service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
My congregation (LCMS) celebrates the Lord's Supper every two weeks except the 5th Sunday, where there's no Communion. Bi-Weekly Communion is fairly common among Lutherans, but you also see quite a few who celebrate the Eucharist weekly as well.

There are a multitude of reasons given for not celebrating the Eucharist weekly such as it would lose its reverence, celebrating Communion weekly looks too "Roman Catholic," and others. But it's probably more of a case that Communion adds 15-20 extra minutes to the Divine Service.
Lose its reverence? Hmmmmm......

I think we need to examine the purpose for taking the Lord's Supper.

1. Jesus commanded it. "Do this in remembrance of me."

2. The example we have is the disciples gathering together to break bread on the first day of the week. (Acts 20:7)

3. Jesus said, "As often as you drink it, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes."

23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken[c] for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.

So my question is this. If it's commanded, and we do it to remember Jesus and to proclaim His death till He comes, and we have an example of the disciples coming together on the first day of the week to break bread, then aren't these pretty good reasons for taking the Lord's Supper every first day?

I mean doesn't everyone want to proclaim the Lord's death till He comes? Doesn't everyone want to remember Him? How could you possible lose your reverence?

One more point. Do churches take collections weekly? Then why not take the Lord's Supper each week? Just a thought.

Katie

Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Here is a good article about the Lord's Supper. Let me know what you think.

How Often Did the Early Christian Observe the Lord's Supper?

Katie

Old 12-10-2011, 11:42 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I mean doesn't everyone want to proclaim the Lord's death till He comes? Doesn't everyone want to remember Him? How could you possible lose your reverence?
"Come, break bread with me in my house; the house of the living."

They were his friends, not his servants. Yet, one betrayed him and another would not acknowledge him in front of others.
It must have been real humility for them, when he washed their feet before walking to the cross.
Now, that’s friendship, never once did he deny or betray them for true love, never fails.

Many do not break bread with others in remembrance or love; they do it only for the sake of appearance before the publicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity