Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HAVE OUR COMMONLY KNOWN, AND ACCEPTED ENGLISH BIBLE TRANSLATIONS BEEN MISTRANSLATED?
THE BIBLE IS UNERRING. 13 22.03%
THE BIBLE HAS BEEN MISTRANSLATED. 46 77.97%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,937,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Those who have Christ living in their life have no need for scripture.
Interesting, and I might be miss understanding you on this...How do you understand Paul's request for the books and the parchments? I believe Paul still used the OT writings during his ministry, particularly with regards to his proclamation of the Gospel:

2Ti 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

And shouldn't we also search out the scriptures to verify what others say?

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Which revision of the king james?
The 1769 is probably the best readily available English translation. The 1611 has even more archaic English, the Apochrypha, lunar charts and an almanac which are superfluous IMHO. I like the late Jay Green's KJV in Modern English (1985) version, but it's out of print and difficult to find.

Obviously, if you believe the Alexandrian texts to be superior to the Textus Receptus you will disagree. There are highly prestigious Biblical scholars with lots of PhDs after their names on both sides of the debate. I personally reject the Alexandrian texts because of their Gnostic influences.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Katie, this is for you...

Clearly you're part of a relatively small minority that believes as you do. I'm thinking that nobody is going to change your mind. And you know what? It doesn't matter. If three times as many people (including me, as you know) think that there are errors here and there in the Bible as think it is absolutely 100% correct down to the last letter, nobody's salvation is hinging on his being right on this topic. You seem to feel that if the Bible wasn't translated perfectly, it can't be trusted, so obviously it's important to you that it was. I'm fine with that. I disagree, but if this is what you believe and it helps strengthen your relationship with Jesus Christ, then that's all that really matters in the end.
Katz, being in the minority has never been a problem for me. I find myself there most of the time. o

I don't think I've done a good job expressing myself in the poll question or my OP. Yet even now I don't know how I could have written it differently. Maybe someone else could improve on it.

All I know is that I trust in God's word, the Bible, 100%. I don't need anything beyond it and I won't throw anything out of it either. I put all of my faith in the Holy Spirit to help me understand it and to guide me to rightly divide the word of truth. That's the best I can do.

That's how I see it anyway. Each of us must find our own way. Each will give an account. The best any of us can hope for is that God will take into consideration our passion and desire to know Him and overlook our inability to get everything right.

Now this is totally off topic, but I want to ask you a question. Do Mormons believe in total depravity/inability? I'm learning that this doctrine underlies much of what our forum friends ascribe to. I've been looking at scriptures on this topic over the past few days. In almost every thread I'm on, that topic seems to come up. I'm beginning to think it needs its own thread. I've thought about starting one just so we can get it all under one roof so to speak. What say you?

Katie

Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Jesus Himself quoted scripture to rebuke Satan's temptations in the wilderness, setting an example for His children to follow.

Here are just a few passages where God is telling us to remain in and live according to His living and enduring Word:

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" (Matthew 4:4)

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:4)

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. (1 Peter 1:23)

The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. (John 6:63)

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. (Psalm 119:9)
Amen! If it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.

Katie

Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The 1769 is probably the best readily available English translation. The 1611 has even more archaic English, the Apochrypha, lunar charts and an almanac which are superfluous IMHO. I like the late Jay Green's KJV in Modern English (1985) version, but it's out of print and difficult to find.

Obviously, if you believe the Alexandrian texts to be superior to the Textus Receptus you will disagree. There are highly prestigious Biblical scholars with lots of PhDs after their names on both sides of the debate. I personally reject the Alexandrian texts because of their Gnostic influences.
Well, the point I am getting at is that to say if the KJV is inspired by God then why isn't the first one satisfactory?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times

Quote:
Jesus Himself quoted scripture to rebuke Satan's temptations in the wilderness, setting an example for His children to follow.

S33 what does the scriptures say the scriptures are for? Reproof and correction etc.

Those without Christ alive within them have need to be corrected by the scriptures, so unless you think Satan has Christ living within him the scripture were in need.

Quote:
Here are just a few passages where God is telling us to remain in and live according to His living and enduring Word:

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" (Matthew 4:4)

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:4)

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. (1 Peter 1:23)

The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. (John 6:63)

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. (Psalm 119:9)

Now do those scriptures say scripture or do they say word?

The scriptures are not the WORD of God, Jesus Christ is.

Jesus said to the Jews that ye search the scripture for in them (the scriptures) ye think ye have eternal life ( and many today think just as the Jews did in the time of Christ) but the scriptures testify of me, and ye WILL NOT COME TO ME that ye might HAVE LIFE.

Where does Jesus tell them LIFE is? Does He tell them LIFE is found in the scriptures? NO

He tells them they must come to Him to find LIFE.

If the scriptures were the WORD of God surely LIFE would have been found within them don't ya think?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

S33 what does the scriptures say the scriptures are for? Reproof and correction etc.

Those without Christ alive within them have need to be corrected by the scriptures, so unless you think Satan has Christ living within him the scripture were in need.

Jesus said to the Jews that ye search the scripture for in them (the scriptures) ye think ye have eternal life ( and many today think just as the Jews did in the time of Christ) but the scriptures testify of me, and ye WILL NOT COME TO ME that ye might HAVE LIFE.

Where does Jesus tell them LIFE is? Does He tell them LIFE is found in the scriptures? NO

If the scriptures were the WORD of God surely LIFE would have been found within them don't ya think?
Very well explained pneuma. This is exactly what Jesus was up against. His very own who he came to,could not receive him because they did not believe He alone is the Living Word of God. The scriptures are exactly what you say they are for,it gets tiresome when they accuse us of belittling the scriptures while quoting them at the same time. No one is belittling the scriptures who believes that Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God, not the scriptures themselves. I would say those who claim the scriptures are the word of God are belittling who Jesus Christ is...........The Living Word of God.

This is my beloved Son in who I am well pleased,Hear ye him. God's word is Spirit and you cannot contain by ink on perishable paper what the Spirit IS.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Interesting, and I might be miss understanding you on this...How do you understand Paul's request for the books and the parchments? I believe Paul still used the OT writings during his ministry, particularly with regards to his proclamation of the Gospel:

2Ti 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

And shouldn't we also search out the scriptures to verify what others say?

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

A.S. If you had of quoted the other two lines you would have seen the answer you seek in them. I'll underline the answer for you.

Those who have Christ living in their life have no need for scripture.
Those who do not have Christ living have need of the road map/scripture.
Those who have Christ living in their lives use the scriptures to point those without Christ living in their lives to Christ.

So was Paul asking for the books and parchments and using scripture for his own benefit or was he using them for others benefit to lead them to Christ.

Paul is one who spoke his OWN judgment on things (he went outside of the scriptures, he had NO commandment of the Lord to speak what he did) yet he spoke it because he had obtained mercy of the Lord in this area of his life.

The reason he could do this was because he had the mind of Christ, a mind that is ABOVE scripture.

Paul literally became a LIVING epistle of Christ.

And ALL God sons are to be LIVING epistles of Christ

Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I find it ironic that you don't believe the Bible is the word of God, yet you quote it when it suits you or supports your doctrine. What a farce!

Katie

I quote it to lead others to Christ and for reproof and correction.

Just in case you missed this post to S33 here it is again

Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:

We also have to see some circumstances concerning Jesus responce in Matt 4:4. Jesus hungered, and Satan knew that apparantly Jesus has the power to create any physical food he might have needed.

However Jesus gave the meaning of John 1:1 the typical verse used to say the bible is the word of God. Jesus was relying soley on spirit for sustainment, not the bible, "but every word that comes from the Mouth of God"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity