Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Too bad there are so many non-Christians in a Christian forum trying to attack it. We shouldn't be surprised, as Satan has been persecuting God's people from the beginning, trying to destory their faith, that is their relationship with God.

As to your question, Yes it would be possible for a person to have saving faith in Jesus, and have doubts about parts of the New Testament. But what happens over time is that all Christians have their faith tested. God's Word is given to the world so that people might be converted to Christianity, and also for Christians to read and study and grow in their faith and love toward God.But if they have doubts about the inspiration of Scripture, they are not likely to put an creedance in the rest of the Bible. This leaves them vulnerable to persecution from the world, Satanic attacks on their faith, etc. Christians cannot maintain their own faith. God has to do it, so if they disregard the word of God, and reject Jesus teaching, it is unlikely they will endure in faith. There are all kinds of texts indicating that if people reject God's Word, they in fact reject Jesus himself.
[SIZE=3]Mk 8:38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful And generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”[/SIZE]

Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What if a person believes in God and believes that Jesus was the son of God and is now in Heaven with this father.

The person also believes the Bible was written by humans who were seriously misguided. Sure, some of the stories about Jesus are mostly correct, but the rest is a bunch of garbage.

Is that person a Christian?

As long as that person believes in Jesus Christ, they are a Christian. You don't have to believe the Bible is inerrant to be a Christian. Some will say otherwise, but they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
The Indian Shaker Church, as I recall, traditionally believes in Jesus but not the Bible. The "1910" element/tendency/traditionalist still seems to reject reading the Bible, but I don't know how many of them remain.

John Slocum and the Indian Shaker Church - Robert H. Ruby, John Arthur Brown - Google Books

Powered by Google Docs - Check page 28 for mention of a "New Indian Shaker 1910 Church."

Although the Indian Shaker Church is a specifically American-Indian instituted faith that seems to be mostly limited to them. The "non-Bible readers" I read emphasize communication with God over the Bible. I think some argue they're a mix of Indigenous and Christian religion rather than a Christian denomination as such.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
As long as that person believes in Jesus Christ, they are a Christian. You don't have to believe the Bible is inerrant to be a Christian. Some will say otherwise, but they don't know what the heck they're talking about.
Anyone can call him/herself "Christian", but the question should be whether the person believes in Jesus aka is saved,. The question here is whether the person who rejects the Bible simply believes that "Jesus was the son of God and is now in Heaven with this father".

I have been unsuccessfully trying to get clarification to the question, because I wanted to know what the OP means by "good Christian". Does is mean "Good Christian" as in having saving faith, or "good Christian" as in someone who might believe there is a god, but lacks the saving faith. If you lack the saving faith, then titles such as "good Christian" mean nothing, and opinion about Bible being a bunch of garbage means nothing. After all that view is pretty much the standard among non-believers.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
What does it mean to believe and follow the Bible 100%? Anyone with any knowledge of ancient history, who appreciates that culture, society and the times greatly influences any piece of literature, will realise it's not such a simple black and white issue.

Most modern Christians enjoy a good lobster now and than because they realise the old Mosaic laws given to the Jewish people are no longer binding. So they basically ignore most of the laws in Leviticus.

What if you don't trust that the prophets faithfully recorded what the Lord spoke word for word? Revelation is full of symbolism and mythological allegories and motifs. Fundamentalists Christians take it literally, but only up to a point, because after that it starts sounding like some cross being a fantasy novel and a supernatural melodrama.

The Bible is the start, but a relationship with God goes beyond the Bible. Christianity is still a heart religion more than a head religion. As long as you love the Lord, accept Christ, treat your fellow man with love, and believe the fundamental tenets, I do not believe the Lord will hold your grain of doubt against you. But that is for the Judge to decide.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Anyone can call him/herself "Christian", but the question should be whether the person believes in Jesus aka is saved,. The question here is whether the person who rejects the Bible simply believes that "Jesus was the son of God and is now in Heaven with this father".

I have been unsuccessfully trying to get clarification to the question, because I wanted to know what the OP means by "good Christian". Does is mean "Good Christian" as in having saving faith, or "good Christian" as in someone who might believe there is a god, but lacks the saving faith. If you lack the saving faith, then titles such as "good Christian" mean nothing, and opinion about Bible being a bunch of garbage means nothing. After all that view is pretty much the standard among non-believers.
Not everyone believes you have to say a "sinner's prayer" to be saved, Finn. If you have faith and believe in Jesus Christ as Savior then you're saved. Stop with the twisting of what Hiker45 said, you know what he means. He's a Christian and that really ticks you off because he doesn't believe that the Bible is the end all of books, it's nonsense to him except for the story of Jesus. I'm talking about Hiker's fictitious person, not him personally.

At this point, I'm not a "Christian" because I doubt all of it. So you can rail on me if you want to.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Not everyone believes you have to say a "sinner's prayer" to be saved, Finn. If you have faith and believe in Jesus Christ as Savior then you're saved. Stop with the twisting of what Hiker45 said, you know what he means. He's a Christian and that really ticks you off because he doesn't believe that the Bible is the end all of books, it's nonsense to him except for the story of Jesus. I'm talking about Hiker's fictitious person, not him personally.

At this point, I'm not a "Christian" because I doubt all of it. So you can rail on me if you want to.
Did I say something to upset you? I did not twist anything, I asked a simple question. I also did not say anything about requirements of sinners prayer. Thirdly I have not asked about, or suggested anything about Hiker's status as saved/unsaved. Nothing. And of course I did not say anything about you either, so let's not make this thread about you.

Please drop the unnecessary aggressiveness.

It is a simple question: what does the OP mean by "good Christian". Does is refer to people who are saved, or those who simply believe that God exists, but do not consider Him as their personal Lord and Saviour? Satan and demons believe He exists, but they are not saved.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-31-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Did I say something to upset you? I did not twist anything, I asked a simple question. I also did not say anything about requirements of sinners prayer. Thirdly I have not asked about, or suggested anything about Hiker's status as saved/unsaved. Nothing. And of course I did not say anything about you either, so let's not make this thread about you.

Please drop the unnecessary aggressiveness.

It is a simple question: what does the OP mean by "good Christian". Does is refer to people who are saved, or those who simply believe that God exists, but do not consider Him as their personal Lord and Saviour. Satan and demons believe He exists, but they are not saved.
Salvation ultimately boils down to acknowledging what Christ did for you, and having that bridge between him and God.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Salvation ultimately boils down to acknowledging what Christ did for you, and having that bridge between him and God.
Having the 'bridge' is what people mean that they say they have a personal relationship with Him. There are people who have this relationship, and then there are those who agree God exists, but they do not have this relationship with Him. Is the OP talking about saved people, or unsaved people? That is what I am trying to find out.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Having the 'bridge' is what people mean that they say they have a personal relationship with Him. There are people who have this relationship, and then there are those who agree God exists, but they do not have this relationship with Him. Is the OP talking about saved people, or unsaved people? That is what I am trying to find out.
I'm assuming people who are saved or at least they believe they are saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity