Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 AM

23 posts, read 17,347 times

Advertisements

Tiny Christian Relic Found In Israel | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/30/tiny-christian-relic-found-in-israel/?test=faces - broken link)

An icon dating to 1400 years ago of Jesus and the Virgin Mary. What Church was around 1400 years ago?

One. Holy. Catholic. Apostolic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM

77,004 posts, read 47,342,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic View Post
Tiny Christian Relic Found In Israel | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/30/tiny-christian-relic-found-in-israel/?test=faces - broken link)

An icon dating to 1400 years ago of Jesus and the Virgin Mary. What Church was around 1400 years ago?

Followers of Christ are the Church. It is nice to have a building to keep the rain out, but the building is not the Church,

Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,383,962 times
Quote:

Do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the LORD is a God who knows, and by him deeds are weighed. (1 Sam. 2:3)

Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,862,476 times
Quote:

And at least two others...

Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,920,858 times
Quote:

You mean the one that forced people to convert?

Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 AM

889 posts, read 820,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You mean the one that forced people to convert?
God sent His Only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus did not leave us a Bible, but rather a living Church and said He would protect it from evil. As a Christian, you could choose a church that was started by Billy Joe Jim Bob in 1829 after he saw a vision OR you could choose Jesus' Church. I choose the latter.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 10-31-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
God sent His Only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus did not leave us a Bible, but rather a living Church and said He would protect it from evil. As a Christian, you could choose a church that was started by Billy Joe Jim Bob in 1829 after he saw a vision OR you could choose Jesus' Church. I choose the latter.
I put my faith in the one and only Savior, Jesus Christ, who is the ONLY mediator between myself and God.

JESUS is the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE. NO ONE comes to the Father except through HIM.

I do not put my faith in a church to save me.

And you shouldn't either.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
I put my faith in the one and only Savior, Jesus Christ, who is the ONLY mediator between myself and God.

JESUS is the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIFE. NO ONE comes to the Father except through HIM.

I do not put my faith in a church to save me.

And you shouldn't either.
Catholics believe in your first two comments, also. What you don't seem to understand is that there's more to it then that. If were that simple, why would there be 10 commandments, 2000 years of Sacred Tradition, and 46 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. Salvation is not something to over-simplify.

So I believe that Jesus created one Church to deliver His message and His instituted sacraments. If you don't, you should ask your Church heads to remove, at a minimum, Matthew 16 from the Bible, then you are good to go. Oh, and you'd have to remove several verses to allow you not to observe certain sacraments. And you'd also have to remove all evidence that what the Early Church Fathers believed was what Catholics believe today. Oh, and finally, you'd have to get rid of all evidence that the Catholic Church canonized your Bible because you wouldn't want your faith to be based on the traditions of a false church. This may be difficult, but I guess nothing is impossible.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Catholics believe in your first two comments, also. What you don't seem to understand is that there's more to it then that. If were that simple, why would there be 10 commandments, 2000 years of Sacred Tradition, and 46 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. Salvation is not something to over-simplify.

So I believe that Jesus created one Church to deliver His message and His instituted sacraments. If you don't, you should ask your Church heads to remove, at a minimum, Matthew 16 from the Bible, then you are good to go. Oh, and you'd have to remove several verses to allow you not to observe certain sacraments. And you'd also have to remove all evidence that what the Early Church Fathers believed was what Catholics believe today. Oh, and finally, you'd have to get rid of all evidence that the Catholic Church canonized your Bible because you wouldn't want your faith to be based on the traditions of a false church. This may be difficult, but I guess nothing is impossible.
Matthew 16...
“Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees." In our times it's the yeast of the RCC.

How can you say that the ECF believed what the RCC believe today? They've been adding to it for 2000 years.

In 1891 Pope Leo XII declared: "From that great treasure of all graces the Lord brought, nothing according to the will of God comes to us except through Mary".

1 Timothy 2:5 and John 14:6 tell me otherwise. Jesus says only through HIM...the RCC say it's through Mary.....hmmm, I'll take Jesus' word over any man.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Matthew 16...
“Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees." In our times it's the yeast of the RCC.

How can you say that the ECF believed what the RCC believe today? They've been adding to it for 2000 years.

In 1891 Pope Leo XII declared: "From that great treasure of all graces the Lord brought, nothing according to the will of God comes to us except through Mary".

1 Timothy 2:5 and John 14:6 tell me otherwise. Jesus says only through HIM...the RCC say it's through Mary.....hmmm, I'll take Jesus' word over any man.
What you state is out of context which is not surprising. I don't know one Catholic who believes that and have NEVER heard that coming from pulpit. So I dismiss your implication as pure fiction, which it is. But you can believe whatever and read all the anti-Catholic rhetoric you want. But remember, if the Catholics are right, these authors and most protestant clergy are out of a job and thus out of money. So remember, there's always an agenda.

I for one decided to be part of Jesus' agenda.

Here's a little more on Pope Leo's comment talks about Mary being basically the third layer. God<->Jesus<->Mary (as intercessor). Looks like that's what the early Church Fathers believed, too. Does it mean you can't pray directly to God? No. Does it mean, as a Catholic, you can't pray to Jesus? No. If what you implied were true, Catholic churches would have a statue of Mary above the alter and not a crucifix. Please, folks please don't glam on to things you read in anti-Catholic literature. What do you EXPECT to find in that literature? It's like polling MSNBC watchers to see who they would vote for: Obama or Cain? You won't get a accurate answer. You want to know about the Catholic Church, ask Catholic clergy or approved Catholic literature. Then you might get some truth about what Catholics believe. I'd start with the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It's all pretty much in there.

For more info, consult:
http://www.rosarychurch.net/mary/redemptrix.html

A little excerpt:
"The title Coredemptrix=Coredemtress, which has been current since the fifteenth century, and which also appears in some official Church documents under Pius X (cf. D1978 a), must not be conceived in the sense of an equation of the efficacy of Mary with the redemptive act of Christ, the sole Redeemer of humanity (1 Tim. 2: 5). As she herself required redemption, and in fact was redeemed by Christ, she could not of herself merit the grace of the redemption of humanity in accordance with the principle: Principium meriti non cadet sub eodem merito. (The author of an act of merit cannot be the recipient of the same act of merit.) Her cooperation in the objective redemption is an indirect, remote, co-operation, and derives from this that she voluntarily devoted her whole life to the service of the Redeemer, and, under the Cross, suffered and sacrificed with Him."

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 10-31-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity