Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Does John 3 have to do with adding words to make something appear to be correct?
John 3 refutes UR. Therefore, UR is not true. If you're being told something contrary to Holy Scripture, it's not the Holy Spirit.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Adding the words "just as the bible says" doesn't mean that the person was given a truth by the holy spirit.

The Holy Spirit told me God will save all mankind, just as the bible says.

Boy that was easy.

See
!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The Bible does not say the Sun revolves around the earth. That is your interpretation even though you Know it was speaking to an unscientific populace. The scriptures only say it in a way that the people could understand. It is called common sense. Even today the common expression is, The sun is rising or setting. You refuse common sense. Your delight is only to pick apart what is Holy. How sad.
The Bible does say the Sun revolves around the Earth. Heliocentrism was not discovered yet. The Ancient Hebrews were Geocentrists. That is WELL established in the Bible.

And you proved my point. You guys will cherry pick anything and what you claim is right, is guided by the Holy Spirit, but if it contradicts your worldview, you claim that it's an interpretation issue.

Where is if I tell you your interpretation is wrong, you just claim I'm not being guided by the Holy Spirit because it's plain as day in the Bible.

In short, you're a giant hypocrite.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,037 times
That kinda looks like more than three people, but anyway... it seems to me that what the Holy Spirit told EACH person could be followed by "because that's what it says in the Bible (or at least it does the way I understand it.)"

The Bible is loaded with commandments that seem arbitrary, punishments that seem excessive, contradictions galore, factual mistakes, stories which may or may not be true, parables which may or may not be understood as metaphors, admonishments against certain behaviors that may or may not be motivated by specific cultural references that no longer apply to today's people, and lots of flat out confusing stuff that may be interpreted in no end of ways.

You certainly need the Holy Spirit to help you figure it all out, that is for sure. Not that you ever will. I guess that's what keeps you humble.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
That kinda looks like more than three people, but anyway... it seems to me that what the Holy Spirit told EACH person could be followed by "because that's what it says in the Bible (or at least it does the way I understand it.)"

The Bible is loaded with commandments that seem arbitrary, punishments that seem excessive, contradictions galore, factual mistakes, stories which may or may not be true, parables which may or may not be understood as metaphors, admonishments against certain behaviors that may or may not be motivated by specific cultural references that no longer apply to today's people, and lots of flat out confusing stuff that may be interpreted in no end of ways.

You certainly need the Holy Spirit to help you figure it all out, that is for sure. Not that you ever will. I guess that's what keeps you humble.
A voice of reason.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:

You have a special way of making me smile! I love your sense of humor and unabashed honesty.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A voice of reason.
If this is the case, then how is it possible for you to believe in the word of God? If you believe that the Bible has all of these flaws then it is impossible to really trust what is written right? So how can you be Christian if you don't believe what the Bible says?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
John 3 refutes UR. Therefore, UR is not true. If you're being told something contrary to Holy Scripture, it's not the Holy Spirit.
I haven't said anything about my beliefs specifically. If you would like to have a one on one discussion about my personal beliefs rather than talking to me with a "label" send me a private message.

I was actually making the point that adding a phrase to the end of what I believe is the truth, like mike did, doesn't make it true.

What you said may be a truth, but saying the holy spirit told you something doesn't make YOUR beliefs correct. Millions of people say the holy spirit told them things, doesn't mean squat.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
If this is the case, then how is it possible for you to believe in the word of God? If you believe that the Bible has all of these flaws then it is impossible to really trust what is written right? So how can you be Christian if you don't believe what the Bible says?
I thought being Christian was about following Christ, not worshipping a book of paper?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The Bible does say the Sun revolves around the Earth. Heliocentrism was not discovered yet. The Ancient Hebrews were Geocentrists. That is WELL established in the Bible.

And you proved my point. You guys will cherry pick anything and what you claim is right, is guided by the Holy Spirit, but if it contradicts your worldview, you claim that it's an interpretation issue.

Where is if I tell you your interpretation is wrong, you just claim I'm not being guided by the Holy Spirit because it's plain as day in the Bible.

In short, you're a giant hypocrite.
That is a strong term for just seeing things different something from your view point. I would not call you the same just because you or anyone else disagrees with me. I think that should be left to more serious things.

The Hebrews were Geo-centrists as you pointed out but I believe the scripture is talking only from their common understanding of things because I doubt that it was a time for God to give them complex science lesson. That is if you believe that the Bailable is inspired and I take it you don't. It is my take on the matter and no reason for me to call you a hypocrite just because you disagree.

Last edited by garya123; 11-02-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity