U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,004,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
The wages of sin is DEATH. Romans 6:23. The soul that sins shall die. Ezekiel 18:4. We've all sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3

But the the Gift of God is Eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23.

God has decreed a just penalty for rebellion against Him. Hell is not a threat it just is. God has done everything He will do to keep us from that fate through the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

His ways are above our ways, and above our finding out.

God in Christ bore YOUR and Mine Condemnation. The divine Son suffering separation from the Father. It will take an eternity to grasp the extant of God's love demonstrated toward us.
Mike,
you can quote scripture till the cows come home. That still doesn't mean that we aren't supposed to be reasonable. "Come, let us REASON together, that ye may be justified." See? God wants to justify us.

If you threaten someone with punishment (eternal or not) for not loving you, then you will never have sincere love. Only lip-service.

IF God requires us to "make a decision for Christ," then why didn't the early church preach it? The Book of Acts gives NOT ONE example of believers telling people to repent or go to hell. Why? Because it's not scriptural!

Think about it: if God requires us to "make a decision," then what about people with Alzheimer's? Or the mentally retarded? Do they have "free will?" Can they "choose Christ" even if they can't remember their own name???

Peace.
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM

2,820 posts, read 2,699,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Mike,
you can quote scripture till the cows come home. That still doesn't mean that we aren't supposed to be reasonable. "Come, let us REASON together, that ye may be justified." See? God wants to justify us.

If you threaten someone with punishment (eternal or not) for not loving you, then you will never have sincere love. Only lip-service.

IF God requires us to "make a decision for Christ," then why didn't the early church preach it? The Book of Acts gives NOT ONE example of believers telling people to repent or go to hell. Why? Because it's not scriptural!

Think about it: if God requires us to "make a decision," then what about people with Alzheimer's? Or the mentally retarded? Do they have "free will?" Can they "choose Christ" even if they can't remember their own name???

Peace.
brian
you must not have access to the gospel of torpedos. that and the second book of Acts is where you find the sinners prayer. and it is where the term "personal savior" is found. I know he is know as the savior of the world. but the gospel of torpedos reduces him to just a mere personal savior. Just kidding. I don't have my own gospel, I am trying to lighten the mood here.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:38 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,004,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
you must not have access to the gospel of torpedos. that and the second book of Acts is where you find the sinners prayer. and it is where the term "personal savior" is found. I know he is know as the savior of the world. but the gospel of torpedos reduces him to just a mere personal savior. Just kidding. I don't have my own gospel, I am trying to lighten the mood here.
Thanks for lightening things; sometimes it's needed.

What worries me is how religion can indeed blind us. Even to our own common (God-given) sense.

Blessings,
brian

Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 PM

154 posts, read 157,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
It's wrong because they believe they know more than God and what they think is right and what God thinks is wrong so they blame the men that God lead to write. When you don't like the message you attack the messenger. Same assault that satan has always used. Attack what God has said. Nothing new!
True, true. But I wonder what is so strong that is influencing their view to be thinking that way. That is what I'd like to know, perhaps it's even valid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Mike,

Peace.
brian
I agree with a lot of what you said, but just because it's not mentioned in Acts doesn't mean the disciples didn't carry it out. Are the servants greater than the Master? Even Jesus preached of salvation and the consequence of rejecting it (the narrow way and the broad way, cutting off what causes you to sin, etc), be it hell, no hell, annihilation, judgment, whichever method you prescribe to. And if we say being a disciple means being a student of Jesus, then I would incline that they had this mindset as well, or at least this teaching was in their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Loools. But nice, intriguing stuff here.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,699,148 times
If free will is true, when does it start. As an infant I Don't choose when to change my diaper. I did not choose my parents. We make choices based on our experiences. I did not choose many of my experienced as an kid. The school I went to, the church I attended, my culture, my etc... All was chosen for me. At what age did I get the gift of free will?
Even the apostle Paul did not have a choice? The day that the glorified Christ appeared to him. He was told what to do. Jesus did not give him an option.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM

That is all very true. But I think we base free will on more on personal choices we can make, and less on circumstantial life consequences. But then again, if we are talking free will, does it really have a limit. We can take as far as you said in your post just now: we couldn't choose our parents, where and when we were born, etc.

Most believe there is an "age of accountability", which happens at range from 6-early teens. That is when they say a children are able to recognize their sin or at least that they done wrong in their lives and need forgiveness.

I guess this is to help aid in whether or not God lets children go to hell or not.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 PM

14,519 posts, read 6,534,501 times
Personal opinion: the world is fairly deterministic, and our choices are very strongly influenced by what has gone before. I believe that there are influences independent of those events that slip in and really allow us the realization necessary to make a relatively unfettered choice.

If we pay attention.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 PM

True. I always thought my choices were my own, but then when I started really boiling it down the nuts and bolts to it, I realized that indeed many of my choices have been influenced by what has come before. I was never fully able to comprehend this until recently.

So yes, we have to be extremely attentive to know the situations we have total complete control over which would make manifest our true intentions on whatever decision we decided to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or