Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land--not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD.

Men will stagger from sea to sea and wander from north to east, searching for the word of the LORD, but they will not find it. Amos 8:11-12

How could this possibly be if the bible is the word of God? . I have a bunch of them in my house,one in a travel bag,there's usually one knocking around in my van. I also have access to online bibles and if I wanted I could have one on my kindle. So all in all, I have a feast of bibles in my little plot of land, no famine going on here, if the bible is the word of the Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land--not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD.

Men will stagger from sea to sea and wander from north to east, searching for the word of the LORD, but they will not find it. Amos 8:11-12

How could this possibly be if the bible is the word of God? . I have a bunch of them in my house,one in a travel bag,there's usually one knocking around in my van. I also have access to online bibles and if I wanted I could have one on my kindle. So all in all, I have a feast of bibles in my little plot of land, no famine going on here, if the bible is the word of the Lord.
Hearing the words of the Lord. Not reading. God is saying that he is going to stop speaking to the Israelites as a whole. No more words of prophecy. Also, this is pre-Jesus and we know that God was silent to the Nation when His people went after other gods.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Hearing the words of the Lord. Not reading. God is saying that he is going to stop speaking to the Israelites as a whole. No more words of prophecy. Also, this is pre-Jesus and we know that God was silent to the Nation when His people went after other gods.
I agree hearing the word of God and reading the bible are 2 different things.

But we are told by many christians that God's word is the bible and the bible is the only way he speaks to us.

So are you saying that God can speak to us without a bible too ?

I know at least the Patriarchs heard the word of God and they never had a bible.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
I agree hearing the word of God and reading the bible are 2 different things.

But we are told by many christians that God's word is the bible and the bible is the only way he speaks to us.

So are you saying that God can speak to us without a bible too ?

I know at least the Patriarchs heard the word of God and they never had a bible.
Of course, but what He says to us in other ways will never be at odds with the written Word.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Of course, but what He says to us in other ways will never be at odds with the written Word.
Do you have a scripture that tells you this ?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Do you have a scripture that tells you this?
Would you believe it (the scripture) if I did?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Would you believe it (the scripture) if I did?
Yes, because I love the scriptures because they reveal Christ . So when you're ready, hit me with it.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Yes, because I love the scriptures because they reveal Christ . So when you're ready, hit me with it.
1Cor 12: 4-11

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
God speaks to us by His Spirit. However, God will not speak to us in a way that contradicts what is written in the Bible.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
1Cor 12: 4-11

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
God speaks to us by His Spirit. However, God will not speak to us in a way that contradicts what is written in the Bible.
Do you have a scripture for the last sentence ?.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,664 times
2 Corinthians 11 seems to apply as well as Galatians 1

Galatians 1
6I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity