Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Kinda like evolution.
Do you even have any concept what a scientific theory is? How it becomes a theory?

If so, kindly show us what your knowledge of that is. It is extremely relevant to your comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 04:16 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Just curious. I am a Catholic myself and believe in evolution and the old world theory, that the earth is billions of years old and that evolution is a tool used by God. So I am not attacking all Christians or even fundamentalists, but I want to examine from personal experiences and opinions how you came to conclude that dinosaurs and humans walked together.
Not all fundamentalists believe in the world is 6000 years stuff. One can't generalize anything when it comes to anything in this world, and that includes belief systems.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So you think it's just total coincidence that the Europe/Africa coastlines basically line up with the eastern coastlines of the Americas?

Plus I've read about other evidence of similar and identical species found on continents that are far apart.
It really comes down to how one views what Jesus said.

He said:
"with God all things are possible.”
so why not contribute a Pandea type shaping of the due to the power of God in a shortened time frame.

One could argue that Jesus also spoke of as these being real events \ people:
  • the creation
  • Noah being a real person
  • the flood
  • hear of wars and rumors of wars
  • famines and earthquakes in various places
  • many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other
  • many false prophets will appear and deceive many people

Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
...snip...
  • many false prophets will appear and deceive many people
By writing what came to be called the bible.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Do you even have any concept what a scientific theory is? How it becomes a theory?

If so, kindly show us what your knowledge of that is. It is extremely relevant to your comment.
scientific theory;Hypothesis that has not been disproven after many years of rigorous testing.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
which is what nothing more than a theory .... a theory with diagrams.
It is in the OT...

Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
They believe dinosaurs are included with all the other animals God created in Genesis, and they went extinct during the Global flood.
I don't believe that, nor do any Christians that I associate with. If you can accept the fact that dinosaurs were not called dinosaurs until the 1800s, there are reports throughout history of "dragons, sea monsters," and such long after the flood.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Condescension is unbecoming. You seem to assume educational and intellectual superiority in many of your posts. You don't even know us.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,019 times
[quote=Howest2008;21905133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi everyone As someone already pointed out the word used for day in Genesis was "yom" which can mean day but also can mean "time period"
so instead of "and the evening and the morning were the first day." could very well read " and the evening and the morning were the first time period."

The Bible and science do not contradict each other. God created everything, including the laws that run our universe. Man misinterprets the Scriptures and they seem to contradict but they don't

The scriptures are not literal they are spiritual and to be understood properly they must be read with spiritual eyes and that is only possible if God opens our eyes to the truth.

Want another spiritual truth? Adam and Eve were not the first people on earth and no where does the Scriptures say that. It does say that "there was no man to till the soil" So God made one with his own hands and breathe into him and he became a living soul.

I Believe them to be the first two human beings , simply because they put the whole human race under Divine Punishment by their's actions.

That is also why Cain worried that someone may kill him because there were other people and that is also why God marked him so they would know him.

The Bible says that Adam and Eve produced many children both male and female and they intermarried and produced yet more people. Adam and Eve lived around 1,000 years give or take a whole lot of people could've existed when CAIN killed ABEL

When God said "let us make man in our image." He was saying that he was going to change man into the very image of himself and that is the process we are now and have been undergoing. When God is done we will be "born in the family of God" and will be the image of our Father.[/quote]

If men and women already existed when GOD made ADAM he wouldn't have to take EVE from ADAM side.
Evening is the night and morning is day time, together 24 hours, first day. We can take that literally, no need to make it a period of time, which makes no sense. For God a day is as 1000 years, if you think He had not enough time. If there is evidence that the planet earth is of old, I believe that, than there was a world created in Gen 1:1 which completely perished, the result was an earth of chaos (Gen1:2). On this old earth God created our world in 6X24 hours and rested the 7th day. That means Adam and Eve are the first of our human race, which God created about 6000 years ago. The earth itself can be very old, and so the universe. Than dinosaurs would belong to the former world and not to the creation of this world. BTW God will create another world after the Millenium on the old earth, which will also perish (pass away).

Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,211 times
Quote:

Rather the question that haunts the evolutionists is .... why are there no fossils that are in the process of evolving other than artist's drawings and Darwin's Barnum and Bailey Tent Show.

I was just to the Montana Dinosaur Museum and there was not one fossil that was in a transition phase ... not one. ... of course with the exception of the pretty artist's retentions and the sign board

Given enough time I'm sure those who buy in to the Darwin's Barnum and Bailey Tent Show when it's in town will pay the extra nickel to see an artist's rendition of Sponge Bob's theory and believe it as long as it doesn't undermine Darwin's audience.

We have a simple explanation ... evolutionists are clueless without their diagrams.
What? Are you being serious or sarcastic? I just can't tell.

I'm trying to figure out what you're looking for in a fossil that was in a "transition phase." Do you want something that mutates in front of you?

The fact is that all classes of organisms are in transition all the time. Contemporary evolution is demonstrated by organisms developing resistance to antibiotics or pesticides. Evolutionary theories are used in the study of cancers - cancer growths are highly mutational - meaning they evolve. Human beings are have been getting larger in the past few hundred years - as measured by comparison to skeletal remains. Did you also know that human teeth have been getting smaller over the last 10,000 years?

For an example of historical evolution, the horse is a classic one. 55 million years ago, the animal we know today as a horse was forest dwelling creature about the size of a dog. About 20 million years ago, it began to have a longer head, like horses do today. About 15 million years ago, it had left the forest, its legs began to lengthen, and it developed teeth suitable for grazing. There are countless sequential fossil examples of the horse family over millions of years as it changed, gradually, into the animals we know as horses, zebras, and donkeys today. All fossils are "transitional" fossils.

I am not familiar with the Montana Dinosaur Museum you mentioned, but I have been to many natural history museums around the country and most have many cases and displays of fossils with some artist renderings there only to help you imagine what the creatures may have looked like or to show the chronological strata in which the fossils were found. The Natural History Museum in Denver is pretty good. If you have a university near you, check and see if they have a natural history museum on campus. Several do. If you ever get to Washington, visit the Smithsonian.

Honestly, I find it incomprehensible that anyone would find it necessary to make silly comparisons of museum displays of fossils to circus side shows. I believe that God created the earth over millions of years and evolution is His tool for doing so. I don't even understand why it's controversial. The science of evolution is pretty basic to the study of molecular biology and genetics.

Last edited by SmalltownKSgirl; 06-06-2014 at 11:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity