Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Moderator cut: Off topic
[/mod]
Sounds like this could be speaking of a dinasour:

Job 40:
15 ¶ Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-15-2011 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,123 times
I'm not Catholic, but I agree with the OP.

One explanation offered to me was that as God created everything, He could create everything to be as old as he wanted. So he created land masses to be billions of years old with fossils embedded them at the time of creation.

So in other words, God did not create dinosaurs. Just their fossils.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
very little on dinosaurs in the bible. which makes me think it is not a history or science book
more than likely a book designed to teach moral lessons. NT is certainly not a biography of jesus they left out
18 years of his short life, (12 to 30)
The Bible is not a history or science book, that is correct. I would argue it is also not a book of moral lessons (really, have you read the Bible??) rather it is a record and testament of the relationship a group of human beings had with and to God over a period of many centuries. It is an important book and speaks to those of us who are in relationship to God today.

But you are right, history or science it is not.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Man not in the same strata as dinosaurs. Makes sense that man would not want to live in their neighborhood.
Yeah, I sure would not want to live around the corner from a TRex, but strata does not refer to the neighborhood!

Quote:
God created dinosaurs and man at same time, but it doesn't mean they lived, even on the same continent.
What continent did not have dinosaurs? None. During the Triassic Era, the beginning of the age of dinosaurs, there was only one continent.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
None of it matters if you have faith.

Please don't misunderstand. If this is how you see things, then that's okay. I am not knocking you or your point of view.

My point is that I don't have to prove anything. I have faith. I believe every single word of the creation account. I don't claim to understand it. I don't need to. Some things are beyond human understanding. All I need is to believe it, and I do. That's all God ever asked of us. Just have faith.

Katie
What's wrong with faith and accepting reality? God gave us science to explore his universe. It would be an insult to him to not accept its findings. God never said Genesis was intended to be literal.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Man not in the same strata as dinosaurs. Makes sense that man would not want to live in their neighborhood.

God created dinosaurs and man at same time, but it doesn't mean they lived, even on the same continent. My guess is that the dinosaurs were wiped out almost entirely during the flood, except those that rode on the ark. My guess is that there was a drastic change of climate, that made much of the earth, like the huge mountains and deserts, difficult to live in. This change was a too hostile a climate for the dinosaurs and many other species and they went extinct. We can see some of the effects of these changes after the flood, because the lifespan of people is greatly reduced after the flood, according to the Bible.
There was no global flood. That was solidly disproved hundreds of years ago, by Christian geologists trying to prove it actually happened. The Earth would not look the way it does had there been a flood.

The dinosaurs were most likely wiped out by the KT asteroid impact. Care to explain how humans and the Ark survived being hit by a ball of fire that disintegrated most of the planet and led to nuclear winter?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I'm not Catholic, but I agree with the OP.

One explanation offered to me was that as God created everything, He could create everything to be as old as he wanted. So he created land masses to be billions of years old with fossils embedded them at the time of creation.

That's called deception and makes God the biggest liar in universal history. Try again, God doesn't lie and create fake fossils.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post

Uhhhh...no. This is a great example why its now become impossible to have a relatively sane conversation with people who claim they are religious. They have to go to impossible lengths to irrationally defend their beliefs.

The fossils are proof that the dinosaurs existed. It's pretty much the exact same as if you bury a person then go dig them up 100 years later and only the bones remain. Does that mean "God" didn't create that person either?

There is no reason why "God" would purposely deceive humans to get them to think a certain way by placing gigantic fossils in the ground in set patterns that illustrate how old the earth is and that it used to be one giant continent. They even have dinosaurs from certain eras all neatly figured out and arranged.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:40 AM

525 posts, read 899,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I do not believe in evolution of the atheist, which is natural selection, but I can accept that there is a divine selection of the life on the earth..... As far as the dinosaurs, you go the to Word of God in Genesis 19: 19-22.... And the evening and the morning of the fourth day..... And God said Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and the fowl that may fly above the earth in the firmament of heaven... And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind, and God saw that it was good . and God blessed them``...... See the dinosaurs and the fowl of the air are of the same kind of animals as reptiles and birds both have eggs before birth, both has similar bones like a raptor type animal..... so as you can see the dinosaur were created on the forth day what ever that day was..... Dinosaurs were Not on the ark of Noah because they were not alive on the earth for millions of years before any ark of Noah was around ......As you see the solar day of the Genesis creation may be legalism and literalism to believe ......
The problem with all this stuff is that they are analogies not meant to be taken literally remember men wrote the bible through inspiration. They exclaimed it as best they could. All this seven days and the world was made is a bunch of malarkey. The earth took millions of years to become what it is and what it aint.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
The Catholic Church believes that science and religion can get along marvelously. Grant it, that wasn't always the case, but it certainly is today. Science answers the question "how" and religion asks the question "why". Truth is truth and one truth can not trump other truth.

The facts are that if you look at the hydrogen/helium ratio in the sun and considering it's mass you can come up with a burn rate and an age of the sun. Fact is the sun is many billions old. Radioactive isotopes have shown ages of rocks are in the billions. If you measure the universe expansion, turn the process backwards, and collapse the universe and time it, the number is in the many billions. Notice how these numbers jive. They do not lie. God did not try to fool us. Why would He do that?

What the fundamentalists need to understand is that the story of Genesis was merely man's attempt of getting his arms around one of the most basic questions of mankind. That is, how did we get here? We will never know for sure. The evolutionists and the creationists don't have all the answers and I believe there is truth and errors on both sides. I like to believe that God did create the heaven and earth and the universe and all the natural laws contained therein. And then gave it a kick start and our loving Father guides it from time to time and inspires folks and sends His Son just at the right moment when we are ready for the information and can accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity