Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That's because most early civilizations were built near water for agricultural reasons, where flooding was common. We know for a fact there was no world wide flood. It's been disproved for hundreds of years. There were certainly many smaller, local floods that those stories were based on.
The Incans lived near water?....Really?...High up in the Andes?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 AM

698 posts, read 647,827 times
The ‘bible’ just deals with the origin of man. Dinosaurs became extinct long before man came on the scene.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Just curious. I am a Catholic myself and believe in evolution and the old world theory, that the earth is billions of years old and that evolution is a tool used by God. So I am not attacking all Christians or even fundamentalists, but I want to examine from personal experiences and opinions how you came to conclude that dinosaurs and humans walked together.
Don't Catholics believe in the Bible? I'm lost as to how you can believe in something that contradicts the Bible and say that you believe in the Bible. Look at the very first scriptures:

Genesis 1:1-2
Quote:
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
How would have dinosaurs lived if there was nothing on earth? What would they have eaten? What would they have drank? It does not say that the earth was 'revived', 'reformed', it says the earth was CREATED, which means it did not exist prior to. I'm curious as to how you can denounce the very first piece of scripture in the Bible.

I also think calling people fundamentalist is offensive. It's like saying that people who interpret the Bible a certain way don't know what they are talking about. If it is in the Bible, then that doesn't make you anything but a believer and a follower of the word.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 15,014 times
I dont really know. I mean God made all the animals. I dont understand why everyone makes a big deal about the dinosaurs going extinct. Think of all the other animals that went extinct really fast. Other animals survived. I think the means that they just went extinct like any other animal. Bug, sharks, fish, and lots of other things suvived. I believe that humans may or may not have walked with the dinosaurs. There is no "time" with G. Its not like when God made the earth each day was 24 hrs and there were 365 days in a year. Humans made that up. That may be the reason people in the Bible lived to lik 800 yrs old. they lived in dirty areas without medicine. They probably thought 800 yrs was short because it may have translated to 43 of our years. Dinosaurs probably did walk on earth with us though because 2 of each animal went on the ark and we dont know how big that ark was. Hope this helped

Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Don't Catholics believe in the Bible? I'm lost as to how you can believe in something that contradicts the Bible and say that you believe in the Bible. .
If I remember correctly, the Catholic Church itself believes in the possibility of evolution. They take the creation account very metaphorically which is not entirely surprising of since they prefer the doctrine of Sola Ecclesia (authority of the Church) over Sola Scriptura (authority of the Bible). That was a big reason for the split between Catholics and Protestants in the Reformation. I've also heard (I need to re-verify with the source I heard it from) that the Creation account was written in very "story book" like fashion in Hebrew where the specifics aren't really that necessary. Also, in my opinion, there is enough obvious metaphorical usage in the bible already to not rule out the possibility that the creation account is more of a general metaphor for creation. If God went through the scientific specifics as scientists believe the Earth was formed today, I'm not sure the bronze age human brain could have handled it ;p

Last edited by Jrhockney; 11-26-2011 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 11-26-2011, 07:53 PM

337 posts, read 409,067 times
Seriously, don't we just know that someone, somewhere, rode a dinosaur? I'm sure it had to have happened, knowing people like I do.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM

10 posts, read 18,442 times
Dinosaurs were here on earth, there is proof. There is no proof that they were created by God or not created by God. You really have to depend on your faith and what you believe. Me personally, I think and believe that God created every thing. If not, what other explanation could there be?

Moderator cut: delete

God created the Heaven and Earth, Adam and Eve, the original Bible included. The only thing is, we only know what someone else wrote in the Bible, we don't know the full truth of anything. We only know the things that people have left for us to know. Then you have to apply your own knowledge and beliefs.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: off topic..The topic is not evolution

Old 11-26-2011, 10:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Interesting tho how many civilizations from the Inca to the Aztec to the Hebrews to the Chinese and even the Polynesians have a global flood story in their 'religious' histories...
Please explain how you rationalize, or expect any thinking person to rationalize the fact that the fable of the big boat says that god directly caused the death of ever single human on the entire planet, except the handful on the big boat.

Soooooooooooo............ how did all of these civilizations spread across the planet write these tall tales of this global flood that killed them all?

So here you try to defend the story of a global flood that killed everyone not on this special cruise ship, by referencing tales about the event being recorded by civilizations all over the planet. Sounds like a complete disconnect from reason.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Didn't you folks see the film "The Land Before Time?" ~

Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Didn't you folks see the film "The Land Before Time?" ~
I used to watch the Flintstones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity