Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily mean tragedies, but it seems that when something good happens then a god gets praise, whichever you may believe. It all boils down to his goodwill, whether it's a lucky coincidence or people coming together to accomplish something.

But what about when bad things happen? From a religious point of view, is it something that seems bad but is secretly good? Is it some evil force? Or is it just bad luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
good post. a belief in luck by those expressing agnostic belief, is merely a belief in the luck god.
the gamblers god.
as to main topic, bad stuff happening. when i go thru trials, i am supposed to learn something, or maybe somebody else is supposed to learn something. god does not always release me quickly from trials bek of the learning experience being so important. prayer is not a means of dodging the experience. it is a means of centered myself and my energies to deal well with the issue.
in other words preparing myself to beat the stuffings out of my opponent so he can learn his lesson.
did that help?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,118,969 times
Quote:
Why do bad things happen?
Bad things happen to magnify what is good in the world. Joy is magnified by sorrow, and pleasure by pain.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,779,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Bad things happen to magnify what is good in the world. Joy is magnified by sorrow, and pleasure by pain.
I guess my question isn't so much why, but from what source do bad things come?

Are all seemingly bad things blessings in disguise? Or are some things just purely evil? Or, in a religious viewpoint, can some events be purely random?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
They always start with a thought and when a bad thing is entertained , it follows that we end up speaking our thoughts( our mind)......The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

So it really is important what thoughts we entertain.

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.

James 3

Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM

9,687 posts, read 10,006,521 times
Some thing the Lord cannot help and if they happen then It was an accident and people must be full of prayed up to get the Lord to get you out of harms way....War and murder also people need to be prayed up for the Lord to get you out of harms way ... any fear or talking bad issues into existence blocks the Lord and block any prayer that you had or turning to the Lord and repent of fear and talking in sin and unbelief...... sickness Holy Spirit has me pray daily the blood of Jesus to rid the strongmen fallen angels of minds disruptor's, glandger disruptor's, abdomen disruptor's, and mobilities disruptor, antichrist reason manipulator fallen angels out of my life and my interests in my life , and Jesus spirit is busy moving these spirit out of my life every day to bring peace by His grace ..... I feel healthy in my walk with the Lord trying to eat right and taking multivitamins and any dark spirit has a hard time putting any thing on the table here before the Lord .......So mostly the challenge here is the people in the world who do not take care of them self and may not believe in Jesus or have the same grace in His confidence.... You take other nations who have drought or famine or money problems or sickness problems or rebellion problem, or the like you will see the lack of the Lord Jesus and the fallen spirits busy corrupting the world ....were Jesus has a plan for all that will come and repent and turn from sin and grace is there for their blessings......

Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,055 times
Default typo

I don't think we can ever fully understand why so many bad things happen to so many people. I was just wondering that myself after seeing this story:
Father tried to save 12-year-old son Willie Ayala killed in Momence house fire | abc7chicago.com
I started to post it on my Facebook page because it grieved me, but then I changed my mind because there are many more tragedies that happen every moment that we don't ever hear about and so I felt like,,, why spread the gloom around. I am easily grieved by the suffering I see around me in the world.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Some thing the Lord cannot help and if they happen then It was an accident and people must be full of prayed up to get the Lord to get you out of harms way....War and murder also people need to be prayed up for the Lord to get you out of harms way ... any fear or talking bad issues into existence blocks the Lord and block any prayer that you had or turning to the Lord and repent of fear and talking in sin and unbelief...... sickness Holy Spirit has me pray daily the blood of Jesus to rid the strongmen fallen angels
With all due respect, I simply disagree with this view. I don't think God is blocked from doing good by any particular sin. It really promotes the temptation to act or feel self-righteous to believe that tragedy befalls people because of some particular sin. I may not be right about it, but that's the way I see it. God could have saved that 12 year old boy from dying in the house fire had he chosen to do so. I trust that God, for his own purpose, chose not to intervene in that case.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I do believe that is the main reason why we are subjected to so much death and sorrow - that we may know the difference. We are here in this world to experience the contrast between good and evil, joy and sorrow, etc...

Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
I believe that earth is a school, and that we're all here to learn lessons, and we learn from bad things, too, whether they are logical or illogical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity