U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,285,843 times

Advertisements

A Confession to the Occupy Movement | Sojourners: Celebrating 40 Years of Faith in Action for Social Justice

Any thoughts?

Blessings to everyone,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
The Occupy Movement is just a case of the peasants marching against the rulers - it happens in every sphere of life. If we were to hand out all of the money in the world and have everyone equal (which is what they want)...

...the "cream" would again rise to crop - man is not created equal.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 AM

62,970 posts, read 34,302,543 times
It is hard to support someone when that someone doesn't even know what they want. That is the case with the occupy movement. They do not know what they want.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,285,843 times
Ok; but what about the paragraphs about asking the Lord forgiveness for our shortcomings?

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
I think the best way for Christians to "support the poor" is with food, time, money counseling, etc. Not marching around for tv camera's with signs "supporting the poor"..This latest fad they call "occupy" is not doing much except "occupying" space.....imo of course
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM

40,039 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think the best way for Christians to "support the poor" is with food, time, money counseling, etc. Not marching around for tv camera's with signs "supporting the poor"..This latest fad they call "occupy" is not doing much except "occupying" space.....imo of course
I agree, Miss Blue. I am holding my own "Occupy the Couch" movement here at home that is just as effective!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM

337 posts, read 348,779 times
Jesus said that there will always be poor among us. It's from bad choices and nothing we can do about it, except make everybody poor because of it. I don't like that option. Also most people are poor when young, I was also, it takes hard work to get anywhere in this world. If people would work instead of just occupying space, they would be building a future for themselves.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,150,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree, Miss Blue. I am holding my own "Occupy the Couch" movement here at home that is just as effective!
LOL

You sound like my hubby! He invented the "occupy the couch" movement!

Katie

Old 11-14-2011, 05:10 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,150,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
Jesus said that there will always be poor among us. It's from bad choices and nothing we can do about it, except make everybody poor because of it. I don't like that option. Also most people are poor when young, I was also, it takes hard work to get anywhere in this world. If people would work instead of just occupying space, they would be building a future for themselves.
As I was leaving Wal-Mart the other day, standing by the road was a guy holding a sign that said, "Need Food." My first instinct was to stop the car and give the guy some money. Then I thought, why didn't his sign say, "Will Work For Food?" I would have been the first to ask him to come to my house and rake the zillion leaves that are in my yard. I would have paid him extra well, and cooked him a wonderful dinner to boot. Then I would have called all my friends and neighbors and asked them to give the guy some yard work.

I wonder sometimes just exactly what is "poor" anymore? I volunteer for a food pantry. Often times people will come in reeking of cigarette smoke and alcohol, yet they are crying poverty. Have you priced cigarettes lately? I'm not knocking smokers, but if you are poor, why are you smoking? That would be the first thing to go for me. The majority of people I see at the food pantry are constant repeats, month after month, year after year. I know there are some people who are truly needy, and through no fault of their own, but more often than not, they are mainly those who abuse the system.

What you said about "bad choices" is right on. Many choose to be "poor." It's a good way to get out of working.

I know I am sounding very unsympathetic and judgemental, but it's hard not to see it. And the people who are screaming the loudest are the worst offenders.

I remember when I had nothing. I grew a garden, I canned our food, I sewed the kids clothes. My husband hauled dead fall out of the woods on his shoulders and cut it up by hand for firewood, all while he worked two jobs 7 days a week. We worked hard all of our lives and never asked for help from anyone. What happened to that work ethic that people in America once had?

Katie

Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 7,693,193 times
OWS is just anarchists/ communists who want total redistribution of wealth. IE, all the rich people who worked hard in school, possibly benefited from hard working parents, saved their money, paid their bills, worked hard should now turn over the fruit of their labor to lazy people who don't want to work, or think that their crummy job should pay the same as much as people who work much harder.

We have far too much give away to lazy irresponsible people today. That's what needs to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity