Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:58 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
the gates of Hell will NOT prevail, it's amazing and sad that so many people ignore this
Amen Hogman. The good news is the good news finds us where we are at the appointed time,for God always shows up on time?. The good news found the shepherds while they watched their flocks, they heard "Do not be afraid, i bring you Good news, that will Cause great joy for ALL people.

Amen the good news as a cause and it's effect is joy for All people.

Camps heads out of the house to do a victory lap around his house in celebration that the good news causes something wonderful to happen for all people.

Death were is your sting ? ,Hades where is your victory ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Another phrase taken out of context.

The gates of Hell will not overpower THE CHURCH (Matthew 16:18). Those who have rejected Christ are not a part of the church. All who die never having believed in Christ are eternally lost.
And the Church are ambassadors of the good news which will CAUSE great joy for all the people. To be quite frank Mike I have not heard any good news on this forum apart from a few believers in ET who do not promote it and the universalists who seem very glad that God is the Savior of ALL.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And the Church are ambassadors of the good news which will CAUSE great joy for all the people. To be quite frank Mike I have not heard any good news on this forum apart from a few believers in ET who do not promote it and the universalists who seem very glad that God is the Savior of ALL.
A perverted gospel is not good news. It is nothing more than a lie. The gospel is not that all men will be saved. That is a lie with its origins in Satan.

The true gospel is that because of what Jesus Christ accomplished on the Cross to remove the barrier between man and God, anyone who believes in Jesus Christ has eternal life.

However, most of humanity does not believe in Jesus Christ. That is, most of humanity does not trust in Jesus Christ for salvation.

The fact that most of humanity will spend eternity in the lake of fire is not good news. The good news is that those who place their faith in Christ are saved from the lake of fire.

Universalists deceive themselves and are under Satan's cosmic deception. And most Universalists will probably remain deceived, and believe and promote a false gospel.

I prefer truth rather than feel good falsities.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Luke 2:10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.

Ultimately:

- God is love
- God's wrath ends
- God will wipe away every tear

- there will be no more curse
- all the peoples of the earth will turn back to God
- all the people of the earth will learn righteousness through God's judgments
- all will rejoice
- all people will see the salvation of the Lord
- everyone will bow and swear allegiance to the Lord
- death is destroyed
- all are made alive
- God will be all in all

It is good news that will cause great joy for all the people - but sadly many look for reasons to not believe it.
Thanks for shining a wonderful ray of hope on the forum, Legoman!

God is Good. If we could all just believe this with such simplicity! David desired God's judgment upon him, because he knew (unlike much of Christendom today) that judgment brings righteousness to mankind. Judgment is not to be feared, but desired. Why do we fear it?? Are we guilty of something perhaps??

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A perverted gospel is not good news. It is nothing more than a lie. The gospel is not that all men will be saved. That is a lie with its origins in Satan.

The true gospel is that because of what Jesus Christ accomplished on the Cross to remove the barrier between man and God, anyone who believes in Jesus Christ has eternal life.

However, most of humanity does not believe in Jesus Christ. That is, most of humanity does not trust in Jesus Christ for salvation.

The fact that most of humanity will spend eternity in the lake of fire is not good news. The good news is that those who place their faith in Christ are saved from the lake of fire.

Universalists deceive themselves and are under Satan's cosmic deception. And most Universalists will probably remain deceived, and believe and promote a false gospel.

I prefer truth rather than feel good falsities.
So true.

It is amazing how Christians on a Christian discussion board get ripped for not promoting a lie.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,855 times
Lightbulb Sooner or later, God always gets what He wants

Just because the revelation that God always gets what He wants is in the Old Testament doesn't make it any less authoritative. That is why I maintain that the following is irrefutable evidence that unsaved men will be saved after they die.

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) of the sinners in Matthew 25:46
"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."

Many other Greek scholars understand it the same way too.
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/asw/Chapter11.html

Fifteen literally translated (not interpretively translated) Bibles that reveal what God will do with the sinners in Matthew 25:46
Concordant Literal, Young’s literal, Wilson’s Emphatic Diaglott, Rotherham’s Emphasized, Scarlett’s,
J.W. Hanson’s New Covenant, Twentieth Century, Ferrar Fenton, The Western New Testament, Weymouth’s (unedited), Clementson’s, The New Testament of our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed,
The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, Bullinger’s Companion Bible margins, Jonathan Mitchell’s translation (2010).

Regarding the meaning of aionios, many Greek scholars agree with John Wesley Hanson.
AIÓN – AIÓNIOS
http://www.tentmaker.org/books/Aion_lim.shtml

SEE

THE SCHOLARS CORNER THE CENTER FOR BIBLE STUDIES IN CHRISTIAN UNIVERSALISM
http://www.tentmaker.org/ScholarsCorner.html

Sooner or later God will have (wants if you like) all men to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4)
It is God’s “pleasure” that all mankind be saved.
And “God is operating all in accord with the counsel of His will” (Ephesians 1:11).

Change it to read “in accord with the counsel of what He wants" if you like.
Because God says
"My counsel shall stand.
I will do all my pleasure
(the saving of all mankind is part of the pleasure that God wants)
Yea I have spoken it.
I will also bring it to pass.
I have purposed it.
I will also do it."
Isaiah 46:10,11

Job 23:13 “But he stands alone, and who can oppose Him?
He does whatever he pleases.
(the saving of all mankind is part of what He wants that pleases Him).

Isaiah 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
(the saving of all mankind is part of all of which God desires or wants)

So we see God does all His pleasure, He does whatever He pleases, and His word accomplishes that which He desires.

His pleasure, that which He desires and pleases Him is what He wants.
His will = What He wants
What does He want?
THE SALVATION OF ALL MANKIND
Why will it happen?
Because God Himself will see to it that it gets done.

Any cooperation towards our salvation is the result, not the cause of God laying hold on us by His saving grace and causing Jesus to be "choice" in our heart, just like it was in the case of Lydia and Saul of Tarsus.

The opinions of exactly how God will achieve universal salvation may differ from UR to UR just like, as Bright Hope pointed out, the opinions of ETers also vary from person to person about what the Bible teaches about salvation.

A snippet from
OVERWHELMING GRACE – JOHN H. ESSEX
"God is a despot. Paul in Ephesians 1:11, speaks of 'the purpose of the One Who is operating all in accord with the counsel of His will.' Yes, God exercise a despotic sway over the whole universe, but we are thankful for this because He is Love. Though He will brook no opposition to the furtherance of His purpose, He is never a tyrant. When He inflicts evil upon any, it is always in order that good may follow. His sovereign will is the ultimate salvation and blessing of all, that He may be All in all.

For all creation in its need,
The future is engraved
In words of life, for all to read,
'In grace shall you be saved.'

Let every mental conflict cease,
Let every barrier fall,
For grace removes each bar to peace
Till Thou art All in all.

O God, how glorious is Thy grace!
How radiantly divine!
It stretches out its wide embrace,
To make all creatures Thine.

When God is All in all, the whole creation will have become His achievement, and every member will be a beneficiary of His OVERWHELMING GRACE."

Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 AM

417 posts, read 365,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Luke 2:10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.

Ultimately:

- God is love
- God's wrath ends
- God will wipe away every tear

- there will be no more curse
- all the peoples of the earth will turn back to God
- all the people of the earth will learn righteousness through God's judgments
- all will rejoice
- all people will see the salvation of the Lord
- everyone will bow and swear allegiance to the Lord
- death is destroyed
- all are made alive
- God will be all in all

It is good news that will cause great joy for all the people - but sadly many look for reasons to not believe it.
What does Luke 2:1-9 say? Until you post that, this post is meaningless.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
the gates of Hell will NOT prevail, it's amazing and sad that so many people ignore this

Mike, Finn , the rest of you ET'ers...think about this.

If the majority of mankind is separated from God forever in the lake of fire, then the gates of hell DID prevail. Can't you see this???

Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post

If the majority of mankind is separated from God forever in the lake of fire, then the gates of hell DID prevail. Can't you see this???
I think we have an obligation to correct errors. The verse clearly says the gates of Hades will not overcome the church, so let's not try to turn it into something else.

Matthew 16:18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

It may not be the "treatsie" you hoped it was, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-16-2011 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post

No, the gates of hell will not prevail (overpower) the church (believers). The point of this passage is on what the believer is ultimately overcoming. They are overcoming the second death (hell). The believers are not going to go to hell. So again, no, the gates of hell will not prevail over the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity